Such limited 4x4 van choices with decent gas mileage (in the US)

SpaceJamHikes

I have an Outback, AND a LWD L400 Delica, and I think the Delica still deserves to be your front runner. Keep in mind I don't live in either one, but I've camped in them both enough to offer insight. And I've done this same analysis a bunch of times with the same and similar vans.

Prior to the Delica, I had a lifted 4x4 Ford Van (not quite as nice as that dreamy green one above) and mpg on a good day will be 12mpg. They suck to park, the highway ride sucks, they draw a ton of attention, and of course, the gas mileage is terrible. Outside of this forum, it's hard to find info on them for maintenance, mods, build outs, etc. But damn they are cool, there's no denying that!

But a L400? Parts are EASY to get. They just aren't QUICK to get. I order most of my stuff from Rising Sun Auto in Vancouver. Between them and Coombs (also in the same area) they have a ton of parts for these things. I just spent $480, including shipping from Canada for a new OEM radiator, OEM radiator hoses, and a block heater. That's not far off from what I spent to do the same work on my previous Subaru using non-OEM parts. Most everything is reasonable, but there are a few things (like the injection pump) that can get expensive.

I get ~22mpg fairly consistently, although it drops a tad when I have the roof rack and awning on. It can sleep 3 people and a dog without needing to do remove anything, and still has room for storage. The highway ride is great, it's easy to park and use around town, and while it gets some attention, it's not "LOOK AT ME" attention that the big vans get. For being 30 years old, there are luxuries that the newer vans don't have, like auto windows, heated wipers and mirrors, factory curtains, etc. But also since they are 30 years old, there's a TON of info online. US forums, Canada forums, UK forums, AUS forums. Videos, write ups, pics. Anything you need for maintenance or mods is out there and easy to find.

The market for these things is a bit weird though. LWBs are harder to find in the US. You can expect to pay between $10-30k, and there isn't a whole lot of sense in the price range. Getting a "dialed" one from Nomadic Vans in Idaho might be worth the higher range. Taking the chance on importing one yourself may be $10k, but expect to dump time and money to make it reliable/safe/home. The hard part is that rust kills these things before anything else, and that's really hard to inspect without someone you trust, or looking at it yourself. Hence where the higher end of the budget comes into play. But even then, you could have a really nice Delica for the price of a beat to crap used Transit. If you could even find a used AWD Transit in that range yet.
Thanks for this intel on Delicas!!

SpaceJamHikes

If you want van space and amazing mileage better than the Subaru? Get a Toyota Sienna. Yank the seats toss a bed and some shelves in it and you have the best combo. Want dirt road and snow capacity similar to the Subaru? Get the awd one and toss some quality 3peak tires on it you’ll still get better mileage than the Subaru 😆
The volume of Sienna's without any back seats is 120-130 ft^3, and my Subaru is at 80 ft^3, so I don't feel it is enough of an upsize. If I spend all the time and money to upgrade, I want closer to 200. Same for Pilots and Odysseys. I test drove a new hybrid Sienna and it was still very cramped in the back

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
True 4WD vans and good fuel mileage do not go together at all. Not Happening!

Decide which is more important to you. Fuel Mileage or Vehicle Capability!

For ME it's always vehicle capability to do the job that I need done.

Fuel mileage? It is what it is!

I use my 2001 ATF 4WD Express 3500 van with 4.10 gears and 8.1 (496 CI) gas engine for lot's of different things. Hauling big stuff out of the weather, off-road camping, towing a car trailer, boat trailer or jet ski trailer. I have several other trucks that can also do these things. It seems that the 4WD van gets used more than all the others as it can do it all!

Just returned today in the 4WD van from a quick trip to our lake home for maintenance. Quick 2 day down and back 400 mile trip with all the junk I need for pressure washing the house and everything else for a Fall tune-up. No off-road driving just interstate at 70+ MPH and 2 lane road travel.

I get 10 MPG-12 MPG depending upon what I am doing.

Gas is CHEAP @ $3.20/gallon or less! I paid $3.11/gallon for the first fill up yesterday.

I see no reason at all to make big compromises for fuel mileage when it comes to a vehicle's capability to do more than one job. It gets expensive owning more than one vehicle to do different things. Ask me how I know!

Fuel mileage is what it is and my 4WD van does a great job of getting many different jobs done effortlessly! I put about 8K miles a year on this 4WD van.

Diesel? Why waste your time and MONEY. I have 2 diesel pickups. Gas engine vehciles today are so capable for most any situation or need.

Remember:

In the BIG SCHEME of things GAS IS CHEAP!

20K miles a year at 10 MPG is 2000 gallons of gas @ $3.50/gallon is $7,000/year for fuel or about $600/month for fuel.

IF you could find an all purpose 4WD van that would get 20 MPG (which is DREAMLAND) you save $3500/year or about $300/month for fuel.

So maybe the question you should ask yourself is worth it have a DO EVERYTHING WELL vehicle for that extra $300/month OR is that $300/month worth more to you to have a vehicle that DOES NOT DO IT ALL vehicle that may require you to have a second vehicle or a rental vehicle every now and then to get things done in your life.

Only you can answer that question!

Last edited:

SpaceJamHikes

Thanks for the input everyone! I shouldn't have posted this right before going to burning man lol sorry for the very delayed replies.
I like vans because they have the snub nose shape, giving a better ratio of length : livable space. I also like the passthrough ability since I ski bum a lot and when it is 0°F it really sucks having to go outside to pop the top or put it down and get into the cab. On that, I stealth camp a lot in hotel parking lots, so a popped up truck camper is a dead giveaway that you are not a paying guest, and every camper I have seen is not functional with the top down (ie counter height is at the roof with the top down, or the bed is up in the loft area)

SpaceJamHikes

True 4WD vans and good fuel mileage do not go together at all. Not Happening!

Decide which is more important to you.

For ME it's always vehicle capability to do the job that I need done. Fuel mileage? It is what it is!

I use my 2001 ATF 4WD Express 3500 van with 4.10 gears and 8.1 (496 CI) engine for lot's of different things. Hauling big stuff out of the weather, off-road camping, towing a car trailer, boat trailer or jet ski trailer. I have several other trucks that can also do these things. It seems that the 4WD van gets used more than all the others as it can do it all!

Just returned today in the 4WD van from a quick trip to our lake home for maintenance. Quick 2 day down and back 400 mile trip with all the junk I need for pressure washing the house and everything else for a Fall tune-up. No off-road driving just interstate and 2 lane road travel.

I get 10 MPG-12 MPG depending upon what I am doing.

Gas is CHEAP @ $3.20/gallon!

It is what it is and it does a great job of getting the job done.

I see no reason at all to make big compromises for fuel mileage when it comes to a vehicle's capability to do more than one job.

Diesel? Why was your time and MONEY. Gas engines today are so capable for most any situation or need.

I put about 8K - 10K miles a year on this van.

Remember:

GAS IS CHEAP!
*GAS IS CHEAP... for now! Remember March 2022? Gas prices change and always trend upwards. I'm clocking 18-20k miles per year and just because I could afford 10-12 MPG doesn't mean I want to. But I am starting to agree with your sentiment more and more, get the vehicle that suits my needs the best and the mileage is what it is

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
On that, I stealth camp a lot in hotel parking lots, so a popped up truck camper is a dead giveaway that you are not a paying guest, and every camper I have seen is not functional with the top down (ie counter height is at the roof with the top down, or the bed is up in the loft area)
A fixed hightop solves both of those problems...

TheDantee

I'm trying to resist the urge to be a smartass here but is this a joke? Ford vans, especially with high tops or any 4wd conversion are so far from 20 mpg's it's hilarious. 10 is a better bet. Even the 5.4l gas engine, the smallest half-capable option, averages about 12-13 with any lift/4wd/high-top combo.
At least its capable I mean this is a van not a car... I don't have experience with the E350s I'm considering selling my sprinter for one I have a 2WD 170 inline 4 it gets around 20-21mpg loaded up. Cheaper for 4x4 in the E350 than a 4x4 sprinter is all. The diesels E350 doesn't help mpg at all?

It doesn't look to bad with a diesel its under 20 but the average seems to be around 15-17 the cutaways take the real hit by the looks of it on fuelly

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle