Suggested campers for bed of U500

355spider

I've pretty much decided the U500 is going to be my base and I was wondering what type of campers you guys would suggest. I'm thinking with my wife and 3 kids we're going to need some type of pop up out pop out to sleep us all. We're used to sleeping in a 28ft Sea Ray Sundancer so we know how to live in small qtrs. Our boat is probably 80sqft on the hi side.
I would probably want something pre fabbed to lesten the hassle of custom. Any good brands you guys recommend? I guess I am working with about 7x11ft. I was thinking about something like a Lance Camper or a Host RV camper. They have a cab over design with slideouts which will significantly enhance the amount of room we have for 5-6 people in our family. The problem I see is the height. What do you guys think?

Truck Camper, Truck camper manufacturer - Lance Truck Camper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dueFpgkYnv8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL524C07A09D007797

I think the highest a USA truck can be is 14'. Anyone know if this is true? This would make a Mog with a cabover close. I wonder what Europe and South America are like?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

355spider

Ouch that hurts. 3.2 or below sounds good. The stock roof height of a U500 is almost 10 ft so it looks like a cabover is out of the question.

Last edited:

HMalice

In my dreams of a u500, I always thought of mounting a side entry slide on backwards then enclosing the space between the cabover on the back and the floor for storage. Never thought about the height but not having to worry about clearing the mpg cab may gain some clearance (if it is an issue to begin with). I have no unimog experience so take it with a grain of salt. You buying that crew cab u500 for sale to fit everyone?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I've also read about the 3.5m height on old soviet bridges on a few forums and books. I have not actually seen photos of these bridges though - it would be good if someone with first hand experience can verify this.

Even so, I made my Mog 3.3m max height because of that.

cwsqbm

Explorer
In my dreams of a u500, I always thought of mounting a side entry slide on backwards then enclosing the space between the cabover on the back and the floor for storage. Never thought about the height but not having to worry about clearing the mpg cab may gain some clearance (if it is an issue to begin with). I have no unimog experience so take it with a grain of salt. You buying that crew cab u500 for sale to fit everyone?

The issue then becomes, not how the cab is, but how high (and long) is the truck's platform. The bed of a U500 is about 5' from the ground (1541mm according to MB's specs). From 13'6" max, that gives you 8'5" for a camper. That seems like plenty, but it you look at the big basement model truck campers (Lance 1191), the overall height is 9'5". It can be done with a non-basement model, but barely. Even the smaller non-basement models will be really close by the time to you measure to the top of an air-conditioner.

I like Dzzz's solution of a pop-up Alaskan with the space under the cabover enclosed during the factory build.

HMalice

The issue then becomes, not how the cab is, but how high (and long) is the truck's platform. The bed of a U500 is about 5' from the ground (1541mm according to MB's specs). From 13'6" max, that gives you 8'5" for a camper. That seems like plenty, but it you look at the big basement model truck campers (Lance 1191), the overall height is 9'5". It can be done with a non-basement model, but barely. Even the smaller non-basement models will be really close by the time to you measure to the top of an air-conditioner.

I like Dzzz's solution of a pop-up Alaskan with the space under the cabover enclosed during the factory build.

Gotcha, the Alaskan is probably the easiest way to go. Puts into perspective the white u500 that was for sale on here last year, with the bulk of the camper box completed and mainly needing interior finishing it was a decent price.

haven

Expedition Leader
The folks at Alaskan Campers will custom build to your truck's dimensions, and to your interior design. The hard sided popup will be legal for camping in national parks with a bear problem. The only limitation is that they don't make a side entry door.

You might also check with XPCamper to see if they would consider building without a cab-over. Marc's designs are well thought out, and have the entry on the side.

For 6 passengers, you'll need the double cab U500. Any idea where to find one?

cwsqbm

Explorer
For 6 passengers, you'll need the double cab U500. Any idea where to find one?

There's one for sale on the Unimog exchange. $175,000 :Wow1:

u500doka-f.jpg

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

Just a thought, but an Alaskan is 1.5m unpopped normally, and the bed height of any Mog will droop maybe 100mm or more when loaded. So depending on what tyre size the 1541mm above is based on, with a few tons of spare wheels, fluids, and camper you could be at 2900mm or maybe a bit lower? CTIS could lower you 200mm more if you had too and had the time, warning and space to do so.

But if the Alaskan has the same top section profile along its length, ie no folding bed wall section, and you lowered the double bed height within the lower section, you could have room for a kids bunk on the front wall above that. 5 berth, or even 6 if you had double bunks! :)

Alaskan will, I'm told, build what you want, so you could go from the 1.5m unpopped up to the max the truck allows. So if 3.5 is you max normal travelling height, then either the Alaskan base or top section could be 500mm or more taller for more storage in the bottom or bunk space in the top bit?

Too big a bottom section might make windows too high though? And you'll need a big water tank, maybe see if that would go in the DOKA? More weight forward would probably be a good thing if you can. And don't forget about extractor fans in the roof and solar panels adding cheeky but possibly unavoidable height!

Definitely works in my head at least ;)

CTIS could lower you 200mm more if you had too and had the time, warning and space to do so.

I have information specific to 395/85R20 XZL on the Unimog that states that one can lower the truck by 48mm at most by using the CTIS system.
Addendum: one could lower by 200mm by completely deflating the tires. This would result in a quick de-bead unless bead locks were installed, also incredibly rapid tire damage. But the chassis computer with the coding plug I use (actually no plug, so it is set for 365/85R20 11800kg GVWR) allows 32psi in rear and 14 psi in front, sufficient for a ~2" drop at most.

Charlie

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I have information specific to 395/85R20 XZL on the Unimog that states that one can lower the truck by 48mm at most by using the CTIS system.
Addendum: one could lower by 200mm by completely deflating the tires. This would result in a quick de-bead unless bead locks were installed, also incredibly rapid tire damage. But the chassis computer with the coding plug I use (actually no plug, so it is set for 365/85R20 11800kg GVWR) allows 32psi in rear and 14 psi in front, sufficient for a ~2" drop at most.

Charlie

Thank you for clarifying that Charlie! :)

So, I should have just said letting air out of the tyres could lower you 200mm for a few metres on a quiet road perhaps?

:)

boblynch

Adventurer
I'm running a F550 with a modified Lance (see signature). If I was going with the Mog I'd look hard at a custom Alaskan. As others have mentioned they will build to your requirements. You may also want to talk to the folks at Global Expedition Vehicles. They've done a number of Mog-based units. Are you looking for a removable camper or will it stay mated to the truck? Where are you headed? The intended destinations may also drive requirements. Good luck and keep us posted on your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior