Suggestions for next vehicle

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Just to play devils advocate here... Why are you all assuming he's poor?
He wants to spend the value of what he can sell his vehicles for and zero out his out of pocket expenses.
Maybe he makes good money but chooses not to spend it on depreciating assets.
Doesn't Warren Buffet drive a 20 year old DeVille?

acolic

Just to play devils advocate here... Why are you all assuming he's poor?
He wants to spend the value of what he can sell his vehicles for and zero out his out of pocket expenses.
Maybe he makes good money but chooses not to spend it on depreciating assets.
Doesn't Warren Buffet drive a 20 year old DeVille?

Lol I was going to bring that up.

It’s not a money decision. I’m actually doing pretty well.

The thing I am not going to do is buy a new car, put tons of miles on it and have it depreciate to nothing in the first year.

So that leaves me with a used vehicle.

And I’m OK with the basics, a car is to get me from A to B.

So, leaving out the commuting vehicle, I am just stick with finding an over-landing, hunting, throw things in the back of the vehicle for home improvements vehicle.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

The thing I am not going to do is buy a new car, put tons of miles on it and have it depreciate to nothing in the first year.

So, leaving out the commuting vehicle, I am just stick with finding an over-landing, hunting, throw things in the back of the vehicle for home improvements vehicle.
It was an easy assumption with 120 mile commute and wanting a super cheap do everything vehicle. Even in 1997 my poor man budget was 10k. HS kids today have budgets in that range 😆.

acolic

Hi

It’s 120km or 75 miles one way.

I prefer to commute to work as opposed to working from home.

Gives me time to think about my day, and decompress.

I have work from home and I don’t like it.

Just a personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What about a 3.0L diesel Grand Cherokee? Plentiful, Cheap, decent mileage, repairable in the driveway, fairly capable with a 3" lift, can run 33" tires. Some even have lockers (QuadraDrive II).

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hi

Just a personal opinion.

Still too far for a commute. Money spent on getting there and back plus the hours of your life spent sitting in a car blehh.

Moyshe Kapoyer

4x4 f150 with the 4.6. They are pretty affordable, there are plenty of nice ones for sale, the 4.6 is damn near indestructible, and parts are plentiful and cheap. Another plus is every damn salvage yard has 10+ of them, so OEM upgrades are cheap.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hi

Just a personal opinion.

I get that. My commute is 60 miles return.
But I do work from home sometimes.
Being able to decompress during the drive depends on how many idiots are on the road that day, haha

acolic

Appreciate the suggestion about the Grand Cherokee. I never consider that.

I see a number for sale with high mileage diesel engines but the bodies and interior look fantastic.

My son and I just finished rebuilding a Hyundai Genesis motor.

I’ve never rebuilt a diesel engine, but it might be a good father- son project over winter.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’m not criticizing anyone, but I do find some humor with the unasked for advice about how long (and thus unreasonable) the OP’s commute is. But to each his own…

Years ago, for 4 years I had to commute 79 miles each way between two home bases and two jobs. I was lucky the drive was on a scenic two lane back road (but that was challenging in winter as it wasn’t always the first one plowed).

A good playlist (cassette tapes), a full thermos of coffee and a healthy bladder and having the time to meditate about life, family and the upcoming day’s demands of work made the drive enjoyable. Returning home in the dark on icy roads and dodging deer, perhaps less so.

But it was a period in my life where this scenario simply made sense and I never complained or felt unduly burdened. A few years later, new state, new job, and another long daily commute of many back roads miles (more if the job’s requirements pushed me to other nearby small communities), often in bad winter weather.

And once again I learned to appreciate the many gifts the drive gave me (pastel, multi colored ice stalactites 40’ long hanging from the wintery rocky roadside cliffs, explosions of wildflowers roadside in spring and summer, eagles and ospreys lazily soaring above the river I followed as they searched for fish).

I would not have traded either of those beautiful worlds God and nature provided me for a higher paying job in a big city, fighting with constipated rush hour traffic twice a day, even though admittedly we were struggling a bit financially.

To each his own…and I honor this OP for the choice he voluntarily and eyes wide open is making for himself and his family and his attempt to problem solve with our help.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

You blew it, you mentioned "home improvements" that means sheetrock, shower stall, windows, siding which requires a pickup truck or a trailer.

Otherwise, a Pathfinder would be just fine, mine was cheap to drive and pulled 4000 pound boat to the lake.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Oh, as to a commute, when I started with FDIC, I lived in Springfield, Mo. and drove to my regional office in Little Rock, Ar. This was usually weekly staying in motels but at times it was a daily commute. 224 miles from home to office! I was also in my 30's and got travel pay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior