Suggestions

WHEC724MK

Observer
So this is where Im at, my next step I think is upgrading my lighting to LED's or a Camper Shell, anyone have opinion on the brand of LEDs or aluminum vs fiberglass vs canvas camper shell.

thanks all

Will

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 34

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would say ask yourself "what is it that I want my truck to be able to do, but it can't" and go from there.

If you just have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd save it for gas for a trip somewhere. ;)

What do LED's do for you? Is the regular light insufficient for you?

As far as a shell or topper, my advice would be to buy a used on off of CL, but then I'm a cheap bastard! :p A new fiberglass shell will run you $1000 - $2000. I've put 3 shells on 2 different trucks over the past 7 years and my total cost (for all 3) was $650. Two of them, amazingly, were even color matched to the truck I put them on.

Personally I don't care for canvas toppers. My thought is that a canvas has most of the disadvantages of a metal or fiberglass topper, is more difficult to install and remove, and you can't lock it. If you don't need a real topper, then an open bed is more useful than a canvas topper. You can even bolt a waterproof, locking tool box into the bed of your truck if you need to keep stuff secure or out of the weather but you still want full access to an open bed.

WHEC724MK

Observer
Im looking to lessen the drain on my battery frankly, Ive been doing some looking to find a used fiberglass but no luck so far. My intention is to do a permeant roofrack on it so as long as it's sturdy Ive been keeping my open for, this way I open the bed of my truck for camping.

olypenjeeper

Are you a coastie? Been in 13 years, never done a 378, but have 2 full tours on 210's. Anyway...didnt mean to hijack your thread.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I would say ask yourself "what is it that I want my truck to be able to do, but it can't" and go from there.

I think this is an excellent starting point. I've been flirting with a topper, as well, to provide more covered storage for long trips but have yet to make a purchase. Partly because I'm also too cheap to pay full price and haven't yet found a deal on CL. Partly because I can't decide whether canvas or fiberglass is best for me. I like the security of the canvas but use my bed a lot for large things like my mountain bike, and carrying bales of hay.

WHEC724MK

Observer
Retired last year after 12 years in (Delta 161) as an MK2 after getting hurt in the Bearing Sea on a SAR case on Munro, Never stepped foot on a 210 but enjoyed a good amount of time on 270's and 123's even got sea sick once hanging for dear life onto Chesapeake Bay buoy #5. Good to see another coastie damn but I always hated that term

WHEC724MK

Observer
Negtive, no locker, I went a standard 4x4 with upgraded bilstien shocks. Guess it was a price thing, the one I got was most of 5k cheaper than the TRD and this one aside from not having a locker was better in most respects. Ive been unable to find a build sheet on it other than what the dealer gave me which was not real helpful. Ive added the brush guard larger Cooper St maxx's and am in the process of upgrading the lighting Im not sure if a locker is in my future or not, I put one in my last build (06 wrangler x) and never really used it so Im not sure at this time and so far with a little left foot braking ive been impressed with the Tacomas 4x4 esp over the 08 F-150 SC that we had.

karma11

Observer
aluminum toppers are great if you like the looks of them. just make sure they are lined with something on the inside to avoid condensation if you sleep in there. and they are quite noisy if it is raining. 1 person could take off and on. granted it was hunched over but i did it many times very easily as far as a rack i build a rack that sat on the bedsides then some uprights to the top where the rack was. that rack was one of the most useful things about the whole setup. here is a pic, miss that little truck, could go almost anywhere. i used ratchet straps connected to the rack and then to the ceiling in the garage to take off the whole thing rack and topper. or i could just take off the topper if i needed to.

karma11

Observer
aluminum toppers are great if you like the looks of them. just make sure they are lined with something on the inside to avoid condensation if you sleep in there. and they are quite noisy if it is raining. 1 person could take off and on. granted it was hunched over but i did it many times very easily as far as a rack i build a rack that sat on the bedsides then some uprights to the top where the rack was. that rack was one of the most useful things about the whole setup. here is a pic, miss that little truck, could go almost anywhere. i used ratchet straps connected to the rack and then to the ceiling in the garage to take off the whole thing rack and topper. or i could just take off the topper if i needed to.

WHEC724MK

Observer
I have been looking at an aluminum but the local dealer said they leak alot due to the rounded edges on the taco bed. To be honest Ive never had a shell on any truck Ive had. Ive been looking for a used one but so far all ive found between Oklahoma City and Dallas is a white one @$800 and a red one @$900, not much of a disount esp when id have to have it painted black. The setup you have with the roof basket is essentially what id like

robert

Expedition Leader
I get more usage out of my ARE CX shell than I'll ever get out of my extra lights. I sleep in the back a lot and leave camping gear back there. Yes, you can snatch them open if you wanted to steal the stuff, but it's still a bit more secure than a canvas cover. I really wish I'd gone with the shell that's a hair taller than the cab (MX series) and added windoors but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. I mounted a Yakima track system on it for carrying kayaks and other junk.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've had aluminum toppers. They are light and cheap but they're loud inside and will burn you in the summer if you touch them, so you need to line them. But I've had roof racks on them and they are decently strong if you bolt to the ribs or frame. I use the Yakima Sideloader brackets and 1A towers on them, there's usually a rib in the frame along the top edge that works for this in a cab-high type. You'll probably pay a couple of hundred used on Craigslist.

I've never had one leak any worse than anything else. It's all about the gasket along the bed rail. Of course it's not really all that wet in Colorado, so the occasional downpour can be sealed using silicone caulk wisely, like on the roof rack bracket bolts and around window lips. The worst leaks on my truck are around the tailgate itself but my bed is pretty thrashed so those little lips are bent and dented really badly.

truck3_zpse57a44ab.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78