Summer Mexico Tour

tglaser

Observer
Hey man thanks for fan advice. I'll get on that before I hit the border in the morning. Nothing worse than a sweaty night's sleep....I owe you a beer some day.

Did you hang primarily on the Pacific side or the Gulf area? I'm wondering about the route - thinking Picacho del Diablo the first few days and then see what's up from there.

Like your truck by the way. Very cool.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
I'm wondering about the route - thinking Picacho del Diablo the first few days and then see what's up from there.

Picacho del Diablo is not for the faint of heart. There are no distinct trails & research of trip reports by previous climbers should be done before attempting. There is one that posts waypoints. I just returned from base camping for a couple of fellows that finally made it after their third attempt. They were gone 3 days from base camp. The 2nd day was scrambling up granite for 4000' elevation gain over 1.5 miles. I'll see if I can locate the trip report to post up.

Al

http://www.whitethaiger.net/albums/diablo2010/

Here is that trip report.

Last edited:

tglaser

Observer
Al- Hell of a report you sent there. Much appreciated. Good to know someone had some success recently. Did you end up climbing with them or did you hang back at base?

I'm heading out in the next hour or so - today will be a scouting trip and then up from there. Take care now.

Tompall

G100

Adventurer
Good idea on the fan...does it run on 12v?

Yea it comes with a 12v plug, 110v transformer plug, and a can looking thing that holds like 8 d cell batteries with a 12v receptacle on the top hooked up to a thermostat. There is a dial so you can set the point at which it turns on and off. I left all this a home just used the 12v cable which is probably about 10ft, very nice length.

tglaser said:
Did you hang primarily on the Pacific side or the Gulf area? I'm wondering about the route - thinking Picacho del Diablo the first few days and then see what's up from there.

We basically bombed it down to San Jose del cabo and then took our time coming back up on the pacific side. Our trip was strictly a surfing trip, and we scored the whole time! Hope you have a much luck as we did.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Al- Hell of a report you sent there. Much appreciated. Good to know someone had some success recently. Did you end up climbing with them or did you hang back at base?

Tompall

No, I stayed at base camp. I'm a little long in the tooth for that kind of climb.

tglaser

Observer
Very small update.

Just got back from about 3 weeks in Baja - bounced around from Cortez to Pacific the whole way down - made it to Cabo for a couple nights and back up. My girlfriend flew in to San Jose for my birthday - and I found some really great off-the-beaten path places - beaches, old Mission ruins and cave paintings. Heard from my friend in Monterrey and after 27 more people were killed last there last week - I changed course and decided to head back to the states to get the cruiser dialed in and then drive up the Pacific Coast and see what happens from there. Hoping to make it through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming Colorado NM and then back to the Lone Star state.

Here are a few pictures to make this a little more interesting - many more to come later.

By the way, had no problems at all. The people were awesome and the cruiser kept it together the whole way - tight mountain roads and all.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    699.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    929.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    692.1 KB · Views: 47

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
cool pictures!

To bad you didn't make it down the Mex200...It is really good for surfing with dozens of places to stop off, camp and surf!

If you come through jackson Hole look me up. Few beers and a free place to stay, on me! We even have surfing here, on the Snake River if you can stand the cold water!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78