Supacat HMT400 replaces Land Rover

haven

Expedition Leader
The British Ministry of Defence has ordered 170 of the patrol vehicle pictured below. The idea is to replace Land Rovers with something more resistant to IEDs.

supacat-1.jpg

supacat-2.jpg

It's called the "Supacat HMT400 with Mobility Weapons Mounted Installation Kit." There's a six wheel version (HMT 600) and there is a version with armored sides.

Some details:

Cummins 6-cylinder 5.9-litre turbodiesel
Allison 2500 automatic 5-speed trans
Top speed 50 mph on paved road
Michelin 335/80R20 XML tires
Twin shock absorbers per wheel
Fuel tank 50 gallons
GVWR 15,000 lbs

20 years from now, when these are declared surplus, someone will get a cool foundation for an expedition platform.

Chip Haven

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
haven said:
The idea is to replace Land Rovers with something more resistant to IEDs.

I'm curious to see side armored version because it looks like The MoD cares more about the vehicles resistance to IEDs rather than its human operators.

Layonnn

Adventurer
MuddyMudskipper said:
I'm curious to see side armored version because it looks like The MoD cares more about the vehicles resistance to IEDs rather than its human operators.

x2 What in the world is the point of having the vehicle survive IED's when all it takes to kill the occupants is a spray of 7.62mm bullets?

Superu

Explorer
More info here

Supacat
It is also claimed that the Supacat will offer greater protection from IEDs. Whilst this may be true with regards to mines exploded underneath the vehicle, the Supacat MWMIK's occupants are still vulnerable to blast damage from roadside bombs.

I looked through the entire image gallery for the 400 and didn't see a single configuration that appears to offer any decent protection for the people running this thing!

I would think a HMMWV with the MAK installed would be a preferred vehicle rather than being a sitting duck out in the open.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Maybe they're talking about the idea that the hull will deflect a land mine blast outwards, away from the occupants? Still won't do much in the event of a roadside bomb, though...

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

It must be a fair weather vehicle cause I hope it doesn't rain, somebodies going to get wet! Not to mention bullets, shrapnal, molatov cocktails, etc. I thoughts the brits were smarter than that. Must be missing a few models that are still in work.....Yes that's it!

Pete Wilson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior