Superchips Traildash 2 vs Procal

MTSN

Explorer
I have the AEV 3.5" lift which came with the Procal module, and it has worked great for me adjusting for the 315 Duratracs and turning on my JW Speaker fogs as DRLs. I just bumped up to KO2 37s, and unbelievably I cannot find my Procal anywhere. It's very odd because I have never not had it in my glove box, but I spent hours today looking everywhere for it in the Jeep (which is clean), the house and the office with no luck.

If I'm going to have to replace it, I'm considering going with the new Traildash 2 instead which offers quite a bit more features with it's digital readout. Not only can you adjust all the normal stuff like the gear ratio, tire size, tpms, but you have a suite of digital gauges for transmission temps, battery voltage, etc. Probably the best thing about it though is that you can control the lockers independently of the switches in the Jeep and use them in 4 high as well as 4 low. It also has a video input for a backup camera which I'd love to add considering I have the 130 head unit with no backup camera. The only downside is the cost which is $499 most places but $435 on Amazon. I would be super annoyed to spend $170 for a new Procal though considering I already have one somewhere (could have been lifted at the carwash or valet but I kinda doubt anyone would take that instead of the other stuff I have in the Jeep).

Here's a link to the Traildash 2: http://superchips.com/products/traildash2-42050-42050/

Any thoughts? Anyone using it? I have an auto btw which is apparently "better" for this product than the manual.

dwvninety

Observer
I have it and it's OK. One of the main features they are advertising is the Mileage Coach which they advertise. Well when you choose this option it say's not available. I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon and when I called tech support back in November 2015 they told me it would be available in a month, it's now almost the end of February 2016 and so far nothing. Another annoying problems is the touch screen response time is extremely slow. Every time you you choose a different menu you are greeted with an hour glass....this isn't Windows 95 guys. And yes I have updated it to the latest firmware. Another gripe I have is the Maintenance Manager where you can input the maintenance mileage of your tire rotation, oil change, differential fluid, air filter etc. You can tell it what mileage you want it to remind you. Unfortunately it does not keep up with the vehicles odometer reading. You can correct it but it will show a slower odometer reading after a few days so you are constantly having to correct the odometer reading in the Traildash 2 to match your vehicles odometer which if you forget to adjust can cause you to miss the maintenance you intended to do.

Tech support over the phone is OK after a long wait period. Tech support over email is non existent. I have tried multiple time and they they never respond.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would get the superchips flashcal, and a small android tablet with obd2 reader. faster and more options.

professorkx

Observer
My son bought a Traildash from 4 wheel parts just before our trip to Moab over Thanksgiving 2015. Never could get it to work right, and my son is a software developer. he worked with Tech support, but they finally gave up after 2 weeks of almost daily conversations, so we both bought the Flashpaq. He has a 2007 and I have a 2014, and we both experienced almost 3 mpg increase running the 87 octane tune. I also run the performance tune rock crawling, but my son likes the crawl tune on his 2007, but I wanted more response out of the motor faster than the crawl tune allows. I also tried the tow tune when I had to tow my youngest son's jeep back from Moab with 2 broken rear axles, and the tow tune is flat awesome. I tow a 14' cargo trailer converted to toy hauler, and with the tow tune, there isn't any comparison to stock.

4 wheel parts said they have had a lot of trouble with the Traildash, and didn't recommend the purchase when my son bought it. If it would ever get fixed, it would be cool, but for the money, it needs to work right...

MTSN

Explorer
Good feedback. I had a feeling they weren't quite dialed in right considering if it was as good as it could be the interwebs would be blowing up with how awesome the thing is. It seems that the product is only about 80% there which isn't good enough considering the cost. One other feature that looked awesome is that you can purportedly use the Traildash to control lights and other aux equipment, but when I searched for anyone actually doing it the results were spotty at best. I wish AEV would put out something like Traildash because I have a feeling it would be an incredibly useful and reliable tool.

professorkx

Observer
So you could tell a big difference with the tunes in the paq?

Yes, the difference is noticable.

I didn't like the MPG tune, as it dumbs down the power so much that I had trouble maintaining speed in the mountains. As a result, mpg suffered in the mountains because I always had the pedal to the floor.

The performance tune is a ton of fun to drive but mpg suffered. For rock crawling, it's the best tune.

Hated the Crawl tune, as if felt more like an on/off switch on the 2014, but worked well on my son's 2007. I really need to play with it more, as it would save my clutch over the long term.

I settled on the 97 octane tune for normal driving and mpg went from 15.3 to 17.3 city/highway. On the highway, if I want to drive at 65, I can get over 20 mpg, an HUGE improvement over stock.

As I noted in my post, for me, the tow tune is worth the cost, as I regularly tow a trailer that weighs 3500 pounds loaded with my Triumph 800xc dual sport. I spent the winter of 2014 converting it to an RV, so it weighs more than just a cargo trailer. Here's a picture:

I have a 2014 Rubicon X with 4.10 gears, 6 speed, 2.5 inch leveling kit and 35 inch KM2 tires. No problem towing the trailer without the Flashpaq, but with the Flashpaq, it's just no the same experience. Much less shifting and better power delivery.

Of course, the Flashpaq has all the normal tuning mods, and I use several of them, but the power tunes are worth the money for me.

professorkx

Observer
One other feature that looked awesome is that you can purportedly use the Traildash to control lights and other aux equipment, but when I searched for anyone actually doing it the results were spotty at best.

This is the feature that was most valuable to my son, but he and tech support could never get it to work. As a developer, his skills were actually higher than tech support until the last few days when they moved him up the chain of tech support to someone who actually understood the programming. He was actually sending them his diagnostics to help the process, but to no avail. They wanted him to exchange it and keep working with them, but we had a Moab trip within days, so he finally just bailed and bought the Flashpaq.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman