Supertramp camper

milo12

Adventurer
Has anyone ordered a Supertramp camper? What is the wait after ordering? Have they delivered any campers?

I like their design. For cold weather camping in a pop top, it seems like a really good option.

I’m a huge Hallmark fan for cold weather and their units really hold up well.

sn_85

Observer
Looks heavy on the Instagram, light on substance.

What seems to be light on the substance? I checked this unit out in person at their facility in Golden and IMO this is one of the nicer pop-up campers on the market. It has everything you need (i.e. heater, hot water, cooktop, sink, shower) without all of the other fluff you don't. Hence the 1200lb dry weight. They did a lot right with their camper. Composite construction without wood. All electric actuators on 4 corners so you don't have to deal with latches. That's a big benefit especially in winter so you don't have to climb up a ladder to pop frozen latches open and you don't need to push up the ceiling and extend the internal supports. Again if there's snow on your roof top that's going to make it more difficult. The layout is spacious with a full size rear door on the back. You can even sit up full with the top down and do some stealth camping. The OEV Camp-X is in a similar price bracket but their layout looks much more cramped on the inside. Admittedly the OEV does have a more robust Redarc management system. Both are great campers but I prefer the Supertramp and it goes without saying both are far superior products than FWC.

Brieb

(Previous owner of a fourwheel camper eagle shell), currently camping in a GFC and trying to decide between an OEV camp x which I can find used for $46,000 with some add ons and no lead time or a year long wait for a Supertramp for $60,000 with the options I would need to fit my 2 boys. I prefer the look of the supertramp, and most importantly it has an impressive amount of storage with the underbed storage, and basement drawer, but its quite a bit more expensive since you can't find them used. I picture the camp x to be quite cluttered and crowded with the 4 of us but the price difference is really hard to justify. Owners of the camp x seem to be satisfied with the quality. Any owners of the supertramp that can speak to its quality and performance?

tacollie

Glamper
We were looking at those two campers to replace our FWC. OEV is at the top of our list. OEV has a retrofit under bed storage. They also have a retro fit bunk. It'll be right with 4 people.

The Supertramp is really nice. It'll still be tight for 4 people. I have 2 gripes with them. They really need a window for when you're sitting in the camper. It's great in the bed or standing but once you sit down it's a cave. The second is everything is "proprietary" meaning they want to be the only ones working on it. Pretty much every camper manufacturer has answered our questions about their build except Supertramp.

Just my .02

sn_85

Observer
(Previous owner of a fourwheel camper eagle shell), currently camping in a GFC and trying to decide between an OEV camp x which I can find used for $46,000 with some add ons and no lead time or a year long wait for a Supertramp for $60,000 with the options I would need to fit my 2 boys. I prefer the look of the supertramp, and most importantly it has an impressive amount of storage with the underbed storage, and basement drawer, but its quite a bit more expensive since you can't find them used. I picture the camp x to be quite cluttered and crowded with the 4 of us but the price difference is really hard to justify. Owners of the camp x seem to be satisfied with the quality. Any owners of the supertramp that can speak to its quality and performance?

I don't personally own either but I have spent significant time in both. It's no contest, the Supertramp feels so open and roomy while the Camp-X is really tight inside. The ST also has much more internal storage space while being roomier as well, not sure how they worked that magic out. I feel like you can sit two people inside a Camp-X comfortably and that's about it. In the ST we had 4 people sitting inside with plenty of space to spare. Money being no object I'd get the ST. I agree, however, on the pricing and availability. The price differential and wait times are a significant factor. I wouldn't fault you for going the OEV route given that. Look up Bish's RV in Big Sky, MT. They are a big RV/camper dealer and actually have sales on new OEV units.

Fueggia

Selkman
We have owned a STC since the first of the year. It is hands down - without reservation, the very best slide in camper on the market today.
We looked in detail and visited with Hallmark and Camp X to name a few - so do understand their benefits and drawbacks.

Regarding tacollie ’s concern about the camper needing a window:
When we purchased our STC we did it with a few conditions. One was that we wanted the largest window available.
and we were the first to indeed have windows installed - both on drivers side as well as a window on the door.
Both Tern Overland… beautiful. They are now available as an option on every build.

Regarding the proprietary nature of STC: I am not sure what this means.
Their building process is and should be proprietary as they have worked diligently in creating a very
lightweight, durable and to the extent that it can be “environmentally friendly” build process.
The owners are indeed forward thinkers in this industry.
The components though are all brands we know - Truma, Tern, Victron, etc.

The features we were after in our camper were all “optional” or simply not possible with other manufacturers… including Hallmark and
OEV (the only two top contenders) - we did not want to buy a camper with 30 year old technology! We wanted Solar, Lithium, heating and hot water
in one advanced unit (Truma Combi)… in fact we insisted they use the Truma Combi Eco Plus- a huge upgrade which is or will become their
standard unit in future builds… it allows for healing and hot water to be with Propane and or 110v. If we are at a camp or location with power
we do not have to use propane for above. Huge.

Our camper has all of the above + more as we pushed STC to test and implement things we had researched for years.
They are open minded, receptive and truly forward thinkers.
The Electric actuators are the bomb! 10 seconds to lift / lower the top. These are the same actuators used by
Earthcruiser on their $300,000 Terranova!.

The price has gone up since last year- no doubt - but you are buying a camper without wood or aluminum
built to last for generations. The 4 season canvas is SECOND to none! - with a 180 degree forward sleeping view when opened
and and overall 360 degree view when all panels are open.
There is nothing like it. European, open, modern, clean, low maintenance , high tech… and you can request a bunk instal to comfortably have 4 of you sleep in comfort (you will sacrifice the window though).
Underneath bed storage is huge!.

I hope this helps all that are looking…. this is our first camper… but the research into this decision
came after years of traveling, running a yacht, and seriously waiting for the right company to come along
with a build that had all we wanted. STC is that company.

We are in no way sponsored, associated with STC other than a very satisfied customer who’s business depends on such a build.

A few days ago I wrote a review on Google that summarizes this particular camper (See below)

"After years of dreaming, searching and waiting for the perfect slide in camper
for our custom flatbed Ram truck we chose Supertramp Campers as our
production overland platform.
Trust us, we looked at every single pop up slide in on the market,
even taping into Europe for inspiration.

As a natural history film production company, we wanted
an all weather, European interior in our living space.
A practical camper with all the modern Solar/ Lithium and heating
up to date tech as standard features, not optional!

We had very specific needs and requests which owners Keith and Kelsey
went out of their way to incorporate into our build.

This is by far the most modern, most efficient use of space camper
on the market today. There in no wood (no rotting and less weight)
and no aluminum thermal bridges (no condensation in weather extremes),
all essential features for our snow to desert filming needs.

This well insulated high tech and environmentally friendly space age
construction puts STC in a league of their own - within this size and price point.

For us, our rig nicknamed “LyleXP” is not just a weekend getaway toy,
it is our lifeline, charge station for all our production needs and an integral
part of our business which we rely on to be viable anywhere in North America."

From day one it has performed flawlessly delivering a comfortable, solar powered,
elegant space, to live, explore and work in - all with a very small and lightweight footprint.

To say we are big fans of STC is an understatement.

Photos Courtesey: Ross Stoner @coastless

Attachments

• P1106507-2 copy.jpeg
    P1106507-2 copy.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 220
  • P1106554 copy.jpeg
    P1106554 copy.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 205
  • P1116582 copy.jpeg
    P1116582 copy.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 202
  • P1116617 copy.jpeg
    P1116617 copy.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 204
  • P1116627 copy.jpeg
    P1116627 copy.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 212
  • P1116643 copy.jpeg
    P1116643 copy.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 202

tacollie

Glamper
@Fueggia That's a great review. We talked to them at overland expo a couple weeks ago for roughly 40 minutes. It was a weird experience and they didn't really answer our questions. Sounds like it was a fluke. They told us they're lifting struts were proprietary and that they were the only ones using them. I asked a couple questions about the tent material and their answer was it's proprietary. I asked about adding a window to the dinette and he told me about the toilet. It's good to hear that they are open to customer input improving the design. I'll chalk up our experiences to then being tired from being 3 days into an event?

Have you had the camper and snow yet? I'm curious how the struts perform if you get a couple of inches of snow in the middle of the night. If we're expecting snow we throw tarps over our FWC to make it easier to move the snow in the mornings. It's super sketchy closing it with more than a couple inches of snow on the roof.

Fueggia

Selkman
@Fueggia That's a great review. We talked to them at overland expo a couple weeks ago for roughly 40 minutes. It was a weird experience and they didn't really answer our questions. Sounds like it was a fluke. They told us they're lifting struts were proprietary and that they were the only ones using them. I asked a couple questions about the tent material and their answer was it's proprietary. I asked about adding a window to the dinette and he told me about the toilet. It's good to hear that they are open to customer input improving the design. I'll chalk up our experiences to then being tired from being 3 days into an event?

Have you had the camper and snow yet? I'm curious how the struts perform if you get a couple of inches of snow in the middle of the night. If we're expecting snow we throw tarps over our FWC to make it easier to move the snow in the mornings. It's super sketchy closing it with more than a couple inches of snow on the roof.

Hi again.. Yep, their little company has taken off so probably whipped from the surge in builds... regardless, they should have been receptive to your requests. Window install is an option they offer... I know they have installed a few aside from ours. On the rest it may well be proprietary... But we just need to know it works!. We had snow on the camper last march/ april although we too cover the rig with a tarp. We have had snow, ice, freeze etc ... some covered, some caught of guard... Here in maine all three can happen within the hour.? - when snowed in I have not lifted of dropped the camper top as I was not "camping" per-se. I dont forsee any issues. There is also (should something tragically go wrong) a manual override. The roof is not made to support 400lbs but... i think some snow not an issue... especially if you get to removing it asap. Keep us posted on your decision moving forward. We are adding a short list of custom features to our rig that will make it even more special... !????

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
These are absolutely gorgeous campers. Haven't been in one on the ground but these seem to up the game significantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger