Supertramp Flagship LT pop-up slide-in pickup camper

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
#95 has landed. We drove a portion of the way home the day of delivery then up early and bombed home to beat an inbound winter storm. With one night under our belts, I can say it was worth the wait. More to come after we get settled in.

20240322_195823.jpg

Chadx

Big thanks for the entire Supertramp crew; Not only those we interfaced with directly throughout the question/answer, onsite visit and ordering phases, and during the incredible pick up day, but also to all those that we didn't get to talk to personally that do the day-to-day fabrication, molding, construction, paint, wiring, sewing, assembly, testing, etc. We met some great people and made some fast friends.

Here are some images of #95 from the last few days. Tried to color correct the pickup itself a bit because the Ford Glacier Gray Metallic Tri-coat paint shows up much more blue in all images than it does to the eye. The below seem like a fairly good representation of how it looks. Was a bit nervous of how the Battleship Gray camper would match the bluish-gray pickup, but in person, they are a home run. Super happy.

In all our haste, I didn't get final photos of the team or my wife and I in front of it on the big day. But was so engrossed in great conversations that install time came and went and it was time to get on the road and stop distracting them from the rest of the campers in various states of completion. Could have stood there another 2 days talking details.

20240322_114535.jpg

20240322_114719.jpg

20240322_120605.jpg

20240322_121126.jpg

20240322_163405.jpg

20240322_174029.jpg

20240322_174155.jpg

20240322_183853.jpg20240322_183919.jpg

20240323_134627.jpg

Vsgfoster

Continuous Improvement
Big thanks for the entire Supertramp crew; Not only those we interfaced with directly throughout the question/answer, onsite visit and ordering phases, and during the incredible pick up day, but also to all those that we didn't get to talk to personally that do the day-to-day fabrication, molding, construction, paint, wiring, sewing, assembly, testing, etc. We met some great people and made some fast friends.

Here are some images of #95 from the last few days. Tried to color correct the pickup itself a bit because the Ford Glacier Gray Metallic Tri-coat paint shows up much more blue in all images than it does to the eye. The below seem like a fairly good representation of how it looks. Was a bit nervous of how the Battleship Gray camper would match the bluish-gray pickup, but in person, they are a home run. Super happy.

In all our haste, I didn't get final photos of the team or my wife and I in front of it on the big day. But was so engrossed in great conversations that install time came and went and it was time to get on the road and stop distracting them from the rest of the campers in various states of completion. Could have stood there another 2 days talking details.

View attachment 826032

View attachment 826033

View attachment 826034

View attachment 826035

View attachment 826036

View attachment 826037

View attachment 826038

View attachment 826039View attachment 826040

View attachment 826041
#95 looks awesome!
I echo all your sentiments about the STC crew. The whole process from inquiry to pickup of #94 was absolute professionalism and their workmanship is top notch. The pride that each team member takes in what they do is very evident. We went the opposite way into New Mexico and Arizona.

Attachments

• 20240322_171857.jpg
    20240322_171857.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240321_122140.jpg
    20240321_122140.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240320_161940.jpg
    20240320_161940.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240320_162603.jpg
    20240320_162603.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul

View attachment 826032

View attachment 826033

View attachment 826034

View attachment 826035

View attachment 826036

View attachment 826037

View attachment 826038

View attachment 826041
A really nice looking rig.

Stock suspension? There's no detectable rear-end sag.

Curious to know how the camper attaches to the truck bed.

Chadx

A really nice looking rig.

Stock suspension? There's no detectable rear-end sag.

Curious to know how the camper attaches to the truck bed.

Hi Paul, Yes, stock suspension on my F250 for now. It has 3,200lb payload rating. Camper is 1,600 dry. We had a full propane and two batteries and about 10 gallons of water. Little to no camping gear or food with us, but all my tools and recovery gear in the pickup and the two of us. If I had to guess, we had about 2,300lb total with us in the cab. It sat really nice and drove like a dream. So nice that I'm scared to mess with the suspension. Ha. But then, we haven't driven any trails yet and that will dictate what suspension updates are needed.

It was just starting to touch the helper spring, but the last 5" front and rear of the helper spring are not touching by over 1/2". We hit plenty of rough roads and woops on the backroads home and never felt anything abrupt as it transitioned to the helper spring. And the overload spring up top not even close to touching (2.5+"), though I can see it did touch that pads at some point while driving. In our Tundra with air bags and E tires a campers, I definitely had to slow down to the curve warning sign speed for two-lane highway curves. On the 700 mile drive home, we took mostly 2 lane rather than interstate. I tested it out on some curves and could comfortably go 10mph faster than the curve speed recommendations. Meaning, 40mph curve at 50mph or 50mph curve at 60mph. Really impressed with the stock suspension.

Camper attaches with the proprietary and patented Supertramp system. Brackets mount to the front floor of the pickup bed and pins on the front sides of the camper go into bracket slots. Then brackets in rear of bed and camper that use torklift turnbuckles. With the rear of the camper held down, the pins and front brackets keep the front of the camper from moving up/down, forward/backward. No need for front turnbuckles nor the associated crawling around on your belly trying to hook up and close turnbuckles through portals in the camper. Slick setup.

ITTOG

View attachment 826032

View attachment 826033

View attachment 826034

View attachment 826035

View attachment 826036

View attachment 826037

View attachment 826038

View attachment 826041
How is it anchored in your bed?

ITTOG

See my description in previous comment.
That is weird, I don't think that post loaded when I looked. Either that or I simply missed it. Sorry. Looks great.

Sounds awesome on the front. I may have to try something similar on my homebuild.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chadx

In post #3 of this thread here: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...up-slide-in-pickup-camper.239844/post-3114682
I shared the below Truma Combi chart as well and a bunch of thoughts on the various draw amounts and circuits when running the Combi Plus on electric. I now have some first hand data to add.

Here is the chart:

Truma Combi technical data sheet.
The standard Combi is the 'Combi eco'.
Optional Combi is the 'Combi eco plus' which adds an electric heating element.
Combi Technical Datasheet.JPG

The chart states the electric draw for electric level 1 is 850 watts and up to 7.1 amps. Level 2 is 1,700 watts and up to 14.2 amps (which is why the "plus" comes with a NEMA 5-20P (20amp plug with one blade sideways) rather than a NEMA 5-15P (standard 15 amp plug with two vertical blades) Reference post https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...up-slide-in-pickup-camper.239844/post-3114682 for more explanation there.

I hooked up a kill-a-watt energy monitor to my truma combi plus using a adapter to convert from 5-20P to a 5-15P. Note: The draw on Level 2 is higher than one should run sustained on a 15amp circuit, but I did a 5 minute test, so wasn't concerned. Long term electric draw on a 15amp circuit should only be done on Level 1 to stay below 80% of a 15amp circuits rating. If using a 20 amp circuit with no other loads on the same circuit, one can run on Level 2 long term.

From this one test (small sample size), both levels drew less than the Truma chart, particularly on level 2. I was using a thick gauge extension cord, but the voltage definitely sagged based on the math and what the unit could draw. Calculated voltage went from 119v to 116v (though I didn't think to flip over to the Voltage reading during the test).

It is not listed in the Truma chart above, but my Combi Plus has two "mixed modes"; Mix Level 1 and Mix Level 2. As the name implies, Mix level one uses the lower 850 watts of electric and then makes up any needed difference with propane. Mix Level 2 uses 1,700watts of electric then makes up any needed difference with propane.

On Level 1 electric-only heat, the unit was drawing 808watts and 6.77amps.
20240324_132308.jpg20240324_132322.jpg

On Level 2 electric-only heat, the unit was drawing 1537watts and 13.24amps.
20240324_132550.jpg20240324_132600.jpg

Last edited:

Chadx

I mounted a set of ActionTrax brand traction matts on the STC rear molle panel yesterday. I prefer the material of the ActionTrax (more flexible) than the MaxTrax (more rigid). Had a medium blue set that we thought would look slick with the gray camper and then had also bought a black set as we wanted a total of four. Ended up liking the black set better and considered putting those on the outside and blue on the inside, but fickle us decided all black would be more our taste so another set of black are on the way.

As for mounting, STC has four holes in the rear molle specifically spaced for Maxtrax brand traction boards. Of course the ActionTrax use a different pattern. Blah.
MaxTrax uses 890mm (35.0394") by 270mm (10.6299).
ActionTrax uses 873.125mm (34.375") by 266.7mm (10.5").

The width is juuuust close enough that it will work, though not as smooth as if the width was exactly appropriate. I wanted to only re-drill two holes rather than four plus there was not a good place to re-drill all four without overlapping at least two of the new holes with existing holes (effectively making an oval or an 8 shaped hole) which I wanted to avoid. I chose to mount the mounting pins in the two existing lower molle panel holes and then redrill only the two top holes. That would also space the new holes far enough away from the two existing top holes that the holes would not overlap. I put a scrap piece of Hardie Plank siding behind the molle while drilling to avoid marring the camper after the drill bit passed through the molle panel. Marked the center of the needed holes by mounting the boards on the two lower pins and marking the center of the holes with a marker, removed the boards, center punched the molle panel so the drill bit wouldn't drift, drilled the hole first with a midsize bit then with the final sized bit.

If I'd planned way further ahead, I may have inquired if STC could drill the board holes at the needed ActionTrax spacing rather than Maxtrax spacing. They could potentially update their pattern and have one panel for ActionTrax and one panel for MaxTrax, or, perhaps a single panel that has holes for both spacing but offset far enough to have all eight individual holes. ActionTrax are becoming as popular, if not more so, than MaxTrax, so might be worth STCs consideration, which I intend to mention.

I used Maxtrax brand board holder pins. They make make three versions (standard boards, extremet boards and hybrid) and each can be purchased with 17mm studs or 40mm studs. I had the standard pins set with 17mm studs. The 17mm will fit on the STC molle panel without requiring the stud to be cut off like on longer studs. They come with a washer and nylon lock nut, but I also used loctite.

The ActionTrax standard boards are slightly deeper than the Maxtrax standard boards . On the Maxtrax pins that will hold two or four boards, two ActionTrax will not allow the knob to close for two boards; you have to use the 4 board knob and then there is quite a bit of play (see image below). ActionTrax says the standard board pins will hold 3 ActionTrax. The longer pins, meant for four Maxtrax extreme boards will carry four standard ActionTrax boards. I'll likely swap out to the longer pins when we get back from our April trip, but for now, they are mounted and I'll bring only 3 boards rather than 4.

Freshly-drilled set of upper holes for ActionTrax which are slightly narrower and shorter than Maxtrax hole spacing.
20240405_163402.jpg

20240405_165949.jpg

20240405_165957.jpg

This shows the spacing with two pair of Action Trax. They are thicker than Maxtrax so I can't close the 2-board pin; only the 4-board pin and that leaves a gap. Three ActionTrax will fit with the 4-board pin closed and I'll add the third board next week. Meanwhile, I'm using two Giant Loop brand Pronghorn straps to keep the boards from moving.
20240406_114908.jpg

20240406_114820.jpg

Chadx

Added our shovel to exterior. Had hoped to store it in the rear drawer, but won't fit with step stool in there. So while I wait for the second set of black ActionTrax to arrive, played around with securing the shovel with some straps I already have. It's very solid as the shovel handle fits in one of the traction board grooves and the D handle sits in around the knobs. Will get three of the four Action Trax mounted with current pin set and later replace pins with the maxtrax extreme/x series set so I can fit all four boards. Then I'll know what length straps I need and/or consider other shovel mounting solutions.

20240407_124728.jpg

20240407_124741.jpg

Received our Little Giant 'Jumbo Step' 3-step stool to replace out much loved Little Giant 'Safety Step' 3-step stool. The 'Safety Step' model just won't fit in the STC rear drawer, but the 'Jumbo Step' will with minor mods. The 4 step version is too long so we stuck with a 3-step. Bonus it this model is a fair bit lighter weight than the 'Safety Step' model.

Like the 'Safety Step', first line of business was drilling out the rivets that secure the flip-up rail so it can be removed. As rivets like to do, they spun when trying to drill so I cut a slot in the other end with a dremel tool and held it from spinning with a large flat blade screwdriver as I drilled it out. Tapped out the pin then cut 1/4" off of two of the plastic feet to make the overall width narrow enough to fit in the STC rear drawer. The other pair of feet are narrower so no mod needed on them.

Lined the drawer with foam to keep rattling and movement to a minimum. Top of the step is about 20" below the floor of the camper. A 4-step stool would be perfect height, but it won't fit in the drawer nor vertically in the back seat of the pickup where we used to store our 3 step. I didn't want to store it in the back seat sideways, on the floor in the camper, nor lashed to the rear molle, so stuck with the 3 step. I'm having a 4th step welded to a receiver extension to split the difference (about 10" step up from the top stool step and then another 10" into the camper). More on that once it's complete.

20240406_160955.jpg

20240406_161740.jpg

20240406_163147.jpg

20240406_163554.jpg

20240407_133112.jpg

20240407_133122.jpg

20240407_133207.jpg

Last edited:

SimplyAnAdventure

Been quite a while since I posted on Expo…. Damn it…

And now I remember why….

All the pics that my phone takes are too big to post….

Oh well, if I ever resize my pics maybe I’ll post them or they’ll make this site better. What a bummer…. Guess you’ve got to click on them to view…

Anyway the Supertramp has been really great!!! Can’t say enough good things. My wife swears these past few nights are the best nights of sleep she’s ever had..

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1821.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1829.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior