Supertramp Flagship LT pop-up slide-in pickup camper

SimplyAnAdventure

Wait you got me interested. Will I get the same condensation issues on a Tune M1? If I was to go that route I would put insulation on all aluminum panels. Doesn’t make a difference? It seems no Tune M1 owner in the FB group is reporting any condensation. Vans are aluminum as well and nobody has issues with this? I must be missing something but I am intrigued.

Appreciate the feedback. Why wouldn’t it be warm in the Tune after splitboarding, with Thinsulate insulation + carpet like in a van, and a proper heater like the one they will soon offer as option

May I ask why you didn’t consider Supertramp?
The reason truck campers experience condensation issues and vans do not is because the temp under the bed in a truck camper in winter is much colder than the temperature right below the mattress. It’s the temperature difference that creates the condensation so truck campers in particular are very vulnerable to this.

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t an issue with the M1 as well but I guess it’s possible it’s better than some. We had a Go Fast Camper and condensation inside was terrible than later had a AluCab Khaya and condensation was non-existent so I suppose it can vary by camper.

The ST can get condensation under the bed in my 10 or so nights in ours we had it one of the nights in Oklahoma with near 100% humidity (fog so thick you couldn’t see). We plan on the slim Froli springs under ours for next year that should solve the problem.

@Chadx a friend of mine told me the actuators on the 4WH campers are $5k, he told me the Air Conditioner option was also $5k.

The 4WH camper is surely less money (not by much) but the framing and looks are a huge turn off to me. I can certainly understand the limits of the ST for a super tall guy though. The interior actuators definitely prevent N/S sleeping arrangement. I’d look at the OEV personally as you can have all the things we are discussing or perhaps the M1 (not sure about those bed options, never looked).

tacollie

Glamper
Appreciate the feedback. Why wouldn’t it be warm in the Tune after splitboarding, with Thinsulate insulation + carpet like in a van, and a proper heater like the one they will soon offer as option
The Tune would be a good shelter. Even our FWC wasn't that great. A composite camper will be more comfortable and efficient. We set our thermostat to 55 in the camper and it's toasty enough to hang out in a t-shirt even when it's single digits outside. It's not as big of a deal if you don't spend much time in colder weather.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
For those on the lookout for a used Supertramp Flagship LT, one of the members of the FB group, and Expedition Portal, has posted a pickup, camper and accessory set up, for sale, here on the forum:

PXL_20231014_002827072.jpg

Last edited:

rwalk

Very interesting prototype for sale on FB Marketplace:

398991597_6220679384702301_204653379817347215_n.jpg

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
I chatted with the owner (Tony) a bit ago and it has already sold! Was neat seeing it.

Adding all the photos just because it's interesting. I noted that it looks like two versions of soft top prototype winders were installed at various times. Likely the first were the three windows in the soft top. In other images, you can see the single 180degree window similar to today's Flagship LT setup. The rear entry door is neat. Lower half swings on a side hinge and the upper half hinges upwards.
Kelsey and Keith modeling their creation.

Ad text (for historic purposes):
Supertramp All-Season Camper
Fits in most 6.5' Full-Size Trucks.
This is the first prototype unit from Supertramp. This camper has all of the same components (listed below) as a high end sprinter van build. The insulated hard shell is a vacuum formed heat treated composite (same process used by EarthRoamer). This camper is super light vs winter truck campers, weighing 1500 lbs.

I have loved this unit. The hard windows in the kitchen/living room space are lovely and the spaciousness of the unit is surprising. It is a solid unit ready for a great home. I am selling because I just have not used it enough as I have a business that I need to focus on improving. The pictures are of the actual unit (some taken by me, some by the manufacturer). The price is firm at $36,000. The camper is $56,000 new with included components; an empty shell is $34,000.

Features: ~1500lbs. Keyless entry Portable cassette toilet Ratchet strap tie down system

Interior: Bamboo counter tops Lifeproof luxury vinyl plank floor Zippered Cushions 4" Memory Foam Queen Size Bed Storage: Under each booth spot and kitchen storage. Ample space for the client to build under bed storage if desired.

Structural: Fully composite fiberglass body, roof, and cabinets Electric Lifting System for roof Breathable, weather-resistant, mildew-resistant, UV-resistant, and insulated pop-up fabric (4) 2000lb Manual-lift jacks for removal of the camper (2) Flip out windows with integrated screen and shade

Electrical: 2x100 AH Battle Born Lithium Battery ($800 each) (2) 100W Flexible solar panels 65L Isotherm fridge and freezer (2) Maxxair Deluxe 7500K roof vent fans AC-DC Incoming shore power converter CO/Propane alarm DC-DC Battery charger, it is hooked up to my truck but I will unhook it unless you also buy the truck. MPPT Solar charge controller SmartShunt bluetooth battery/power consumption monitor 12V, 2.1A Dual USB ports 12V, 5A Dash socket Smoke Detector Propane: (2) 11Lb Propane tanks Dometic 2-burner stove Truma Combi Eco Plus (can run off electric when shore power is available or propane)

Plumbing: 14.5"W x 14.5"L x 6"D Sink 30 Gallon fresh water tank Easy-access grey water drain Easy-access winter drain valve External water inlet Shower/Faucet head combo with on/off Exterior Faucet Sprayer for Outdoor Cleaning/Showering Truma Combi on-demand water heater/cabin heater

The camper currently sits on a 1/2 tony Toyota Tundra SR5 with 6.5” bed. It is a 2007 Tundra extended cab purchased from my Father-in-Law who used it lightly. He was a dentist. It has the V8 with 130,000 miles. I spent $1700 on high quality tires and they have less than 2,000 miles on them. It has method rims, heavy duty leaf springs as well as Timbren SES suspension add-on. I am asking $14,000 for the truck. There is another picture of a Ford Truck that is not being sold. Both units together (Camper and Toyota) are $50,000. I do not need to sell the Toyota. I live in the Solterra neighborhood in Lakewood.

398991597_6220679384702301_204653379817347215_n.jpg

398994204_24540062748942828_3412609861947237271_n.jpg

404397404_24378246111824075_8036050490218265777_n.jpg

398979241_7275429135853603_8450206124178062511_n.jpg

406717812_6914949645260170_8028914408373590489_n.jpg

406758430_7115401641816226_2253488036130007152_n.jpg

406835941_7202890149754439_2291340189636452571_n.jpg

406591505_7284360778275987_2600305839758982356_n.jpg

406878203_7300179926712327_4204868164262107251_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fueggia

Selkman
ThAnks Chad for all these links and posts of our rig and screen,! I have not been checking in on EP in a while! Appreciate you keeping an eye out- I’ll post the bug screen video here tomorrow- 🦦🙏

I chatted with the owner (Tony) a bit ago and it has already sold! Was neat seeing it.

Adding all the photos just because it's interesting. I noted that it looks like two versions of soft top prototype winders were installed at various times. Likely the first were the three windows in the soft top. In other images, you can see the single 180degree window similar to today's Flagship LT setup. The rear entry door is neat. Lower half swings on a side hinge and the upper half hinges upwards.
Kelsey and Keith modeling their creation.

Ad text (for historic purposes):
Supertramp All-Season Camper
Fits in most 6.5' Full-Size Trucks.
This is the first prototype unit from Supertramp. This camper has all of the same components (listed below) as a high end sprinter van build. The insulated hard shell is a vacuum formed heat treated composite (same process used by EarthRoamer). This camper is super light vs winter truck campers, weighing 1500 lbs.

I have loved this unit. The hard windows in the kitchen/living room space are lovely and the spaciousness of the unit is surprising. It is a solid unit ready for a great home. I am selling because I just have not used it enough as I have a business that I need to focus on improving. The pictures are of the actual unit (some taken by me, some by the manufacturer). The price is firm at $36,000. The camper is $56,000 new with included components; an empty shell is $34,000.

Features: ~1500lbs. Keyless entry Portable cassette toilet Ratchet strap tie down system

Interior: Bamboo counter tops Lifeproof luxury vinyl plank floor Zippered Cushions 4" Memory Foam Queen Size Bed Storage: Under each booth spot and kitchen storage. Ample space for the client to build under bed storage if desired.

Structural: Fully composite fiberglass body, roof, and cabinets Electric Lifting System for roof Breathable, weather-resistant, mildew-resistant, UV-resistant, and insulated pop-up fabric (4) 2000lb Manual-lift jacks for removal of the camper (2) Flip out windows with integrated screen and shade

Electrical: 2x100 AH Battle Born Lithium Battery ($800 each) (2) 100W Flexible solar panels 65L Isotherm fridge and freezer (2) Maxxair Deluxe 7500K roof vent fans AC-DC Incoming shore power converter CO/Propane alarm DC-DC Battery charger, it is hooked up to my truck but I will unhook it unless you also buy the truck. MPPT Solar charge controller SmartShunt bluetooth battery/power consumption monitor 12V, 2.1A Dual USB ports 12V, 5A Dash socket Smoke Detector Propane: (2) 11Lb Propane tanks Dometic 2-burner stove Truma Combi Eco Plus (can run off electric when shore power is available or propane)

Plumbing: 14.5"W x 14.5"L x 6"D Sink 30 Gallon fresh water tank Easy-access grey water drain Easy-access winter drain valve External water inlet Shower/Faucet head combo with on/off Exterior Faucet Sprayer for Outdoor Cleaning/Showering Truma Combi on-demand water heater/cabin heater

The camper currently sits on a 1/2 tony Toyota Tundra SR5 with 6.5” bed. It is a 2007 Tundra extended cab purchased from my Father-in-Law who used it lightly. He was a dentist. It has the V8 with 130,000 miles. I spent $1700 on high quality tires and they have less than 2,000 miles on them. It has method rims, heavy duty leaf springs as well as Timbren SES suspension add-on. I am asking $14,000 for the truck. There is another picture of a Ford Truck that is not being sold. Both units together (Camper and Toyota) are $50,000. I do not need to sell the Toyota. I live in the Solterra neighborhood in Lakewood.

View attachment 813397

View attachment 813398

View attachment 813399

View attachment 813396

View attachment 813401

View attachment 813402

View attachment 813403

View attachment 813400

View attachment 813404
Great Post and photos... !
A little anecdote: We actually offered to buy this STC Prototype from Keith and Kelsey - sight unseen. This was before the very first Flagship was even produced. They accepted - with one condition, that we wait and come up and take a look at it and the very first Flagship they were about to launch. ... so we flew to check them both out. In the end we bought the new Flagship - #5. Regardless, we had fallen in love with (and still are) with the hard side ! All thanks to @rossstoner 's beautiful video he produced on the prototype- it was his video that really sent us on a straight line to STC. Whoever bought the hard side is in for a unique treat! A classic in its own right, a one of a kind. !!🙏🎬🦦

ruadhrigh

@jaywo

sorry if I missed it but why no interest in a trailer?

Also wanted to add that we lifted our 2WD Transit and regretted it. We got some clearance for bigger tires but it drove terrible. I would not want another lifted Transit.

One more thing to add, if you are looking for more headroom what about a poptop?

jaywo

We rented the Transit Storyteller Overland. Time for an update.
@ruadhrigh to answer your question, well a trailer is a massive PITA. You can’t park anywhere, it’s worst than anything offroad, etc.
A pop top sprinter would work well but I have not seen a model that I like like the Storyteller.

So, in one world it was great in so many aspects. During that rental I focused on comparing everything I could with the Supertramp.

- driving parking etc, was super easy. I have no idea what ruadhrigh is talking about with a lifted Transit driving bad, this drove like a sedan. The front visibility and short hood is game changing. It made things easier both on and off road, which brings me to:
- offroad: we were positively suprised. The visibility and short front end makes it easier to offroad than a pickup seriously, until you reach impassable terrain of course. But maneuvering in between massive rocks etc was super easy. You practically see your front wheels. For someone like me used to drive with a huge hood and always guessing where my wheel placement is, it really made my life easier. Washboard was better than expected but not comparable to a vehicle on 37s aired down with nice shocks of course.
- having large windows in all direction (windshield, and both sides of the van) is game changing. I dont think I could live without it. We spent a lot of time in the van due to weather and we spent that time looking out the windows doing whatever we were doing. What’s the point camping in a magic spot if what you see when you sit in the camper is your kitchen with a white wall behind it?
- The 12kwh battery is game changing (you will hear that a lot). The crazy part is it’s charges at 9000W when you drive!!! How incredible is it to have essentially unlimited power? I mean we drove from camp to a hiking trailhead for 20min it was at 100% again (and had we had not, we still had power for days). Our power consumption (hot water, showers, heating, fans, lights, charging stuff…) was on average 200-300W. There is simply no way I could make power work in a Supertramp. And that is without AC imagine in summer.
- Hydronic heating that pulls from the gas with on demand hot water, not having to worry about altitude or refill propane was great. Shower is setup in 15 seconds, much better system than the Supertramp.
- A massive advantage is when you park to camp, your living space is already warm. Your bed is warm, your furnitures are warm, thanks to the cabin heating while driving. This is game changing. You park, you stay in your t-shirt and just move back 2 feet to your lounge and enjoy your evening. I repeated this scenario in my head, and realized with the truck I would need to dress up (below freezing outside and snowing), go setup the camper, then turn on the heat and freeze my butt for 30 min while it heats up.
- Getting in and out of the van was super easy and I thought I would not care but I realized we did get in and out a LOT.
- The rear seats that transform into lounge was great and used all the time. I was lounging a lot to read books with the back inclined and could not help but thinking how uncomfortable it must be in the Supertramp with the straight back wall.
- Insulation was great and no condensation, below freezing outside, 70F inside.
- The way space is utilized for cargo, passengers, use of the front / seat cabin part of the living space cannot be beaten.
- The quietness from the weather due to not having a pop up was great.
- It’s shorter wheelbase and shorter in length than a F250 both of which help greatly on trails.

So in short we loved it. But what about the cons? There are a few big cons:

- when the offroading becomes rock crawling you won‘t compete with a 37in tire pickup. My best way to put it is that the capability of this van offroad is surprising and equals a subaru forester with better visibility. Still that’s no Jeep far from it. The Sprinter chassis with the proper lift and tires is even better
- Front seat comfort is average and legroom is poor.
- Technology is ridiculously bad. You pay all that money for a van and end up with fabric seats, no heated nothing, no safety assists. It frankly sucks and it pretty much is my biggest deal breaker with the van.
- I like the rugged aspect of a pickup, being able to go most places. The van is more stressful because if you don’t make it past the obstacle your are tackling then good luck.

So what will we do? I don’t know. I think the Supertramp lost a few points in the equation. They need a decent power option and go full electric ditching propane. Their actual feedback is that nobody need more power than they offer. I work in sales and I would never tell my customers they don‘t need what they ask for. Our power consumption was not that high. We did not even use starlink or PCs to work. I could see a huge amount of people needing more power than they offer, so I thought their reaction was really out of place.
Also, they need Hydronic heating with recirculating hot water. And all of that while being 180K max with the pickup. Then it becomes more comparable, and essentially you would trade off-roading with living space and usability when debating Supertramp vs Storyteller.
The Transit? Well I don‘t know that I can live with the poor tech and lack of space for my legs when driving. It’s just really bad. And at the end of the day you spend long time driving. If we find a good deal to swallow that compromise, maybe?

The Tune option remains. It’s interesting because budget friendly, can build the interior as I want with all the battery power I want, etc. And I can put it on an efficient full size F-150 again optioned how I want. Comes with many compromises but at least you don’t pay the price of a condo for it like for the Storyteller and the Supertramp.

There is no perfect option, and everybody’s need is different. I am glad we do have so many options and hopefully my little train of thoughts and experience in the last few pages will help others having similar dilemma.

I encourage everybody to rent and try all options. I sat 1 hour in a Transit and Storyteller and it brought me NOTHING compared to living the experience for several days. If I could rent a Supertramp this would be my next move but I won‘t fly to Denver to sit 1h in one. Maybe it would surprise me like the Transit did? I would love to try for sure, it would only be fair to spend an equal amount of time before making a final judgement.

Last edited:

SimplyAnAdventure

We rented the Transit Storyteller Overland. Time for an update.
@ruadhrigh to answer your question, well a trailer is a massive PITA. You can’t park anywhere, it’s worst than anything offroad, etc.
A pop top sprinter would work well but I have not seen a model that I like like the ST.

So, in one world it was great in so many aspects. During that rental I focused on comparing everything I could with the Supertramp.

- driving parking etc, was super easy. I have no idea what ruadhrigh is talking about with a lifted Transit driving bad, this drove like a sedan. The front visibility and short hood is game changing. It made things easier both on and off road, which brings me to:
- offroad: we were positively suprised. The visibility and short front end makes it easier to offroad than a pickup seriously, until you reach impassable terrain of course. But maneuvering in between massive rocks etc was super easy. You practically see your front wheels. For someone like me used to drive with a huge hood and always guessing where my wheel placement is, it really made my life easier. Washboard was better than expected but not comparable to a vehicle on 37s aired down with nice shocks of course.
- having large windows in all direction (windshield, and both sides of the van) is game changing. I dont think I could live without it. We spent a lot of time in the van due to weather and we spent that time looking out the windows doing whatever we were doing. What’s the point camping in a magic spot if what you see when you sit in the camper is your kitchen with a white wall behind it?
- The 12kwh battery is game changing (you will hear that a lot). The crazy part is it’s charges at 9000W when you drive!!! How incredible is it to have essentially unlimited power? I mean we drove from camp to a hiking trailhead for 20min it was at 100% again (and had we had not, we still had power for days). Our power consumption (hot water, showers, heating, fans, lights, charging stuff…) was on average 200-300W. There is simply no way I could make power work in a Supertramp. And that is without AC imagine in summer.
- Hydronic heating that pulls from the gas with on demand hot water, not having to worry about altitude or refill propane was great. Shower is setup in 15 seconds, much better system than the LT.
- A massive advantage is when you park to camp, your living space is already warm. Your bed is warm, your furnitures are warm, thanks to the cabin heating while driving. This is game changing. You park, you stay in your t-shirt and just move back 2 feet to your lounge and enjoy your evening. I repeated this scenario in my head, and realized with the truck I would need to dress up (below freezing outside and snowing), go setup the camper, then turn on the heat and freeze my butt for 30 min while it heats up.
- Getting in and out of the van was super easy and I thought I would not care but I realized we did get in and out a LOT.
- The rear seats that transform into lounge was great and used all the time. I was lounging a lot to read books with the back inclined and could not help but thinking how uncomfortable it must be in the LT with the straight back wall.
- Insulation was great and no condensation, below freezing outside, 70F inside.
- The way space is utilized for cargo, passengers, use of the front / seat cabin part of the living space cannot be beaten.
- The quietness from the weather due to not having a pop up was great.
- It’s shorter wheelbase and shorter in length than a F250 both of which help greatly on trails.

So in short we loved it. But what about the cons? There are a few big cons:

- when the offroading becomes rock crawling you won‘t compete with a 37in tire pickup. My best way to put it is that the capability of this van offroad is surprising and equals a subaru forester with better visibility. Still that’s no Jeep far from it. The Sprinter chassis with the proper lift and tires is even better
- Front seat comfort is average and legroom is poor.
- Technology is ridiculously bad. You pay all that money for a van and end up with fabric seats, no heated nothing, no safety assists. It frankly sucks and it pretty much is my biggest deal breaker with the van.
- I like the rugged aspect of a pickup, being able to go most places. The van is more stressful because if you don’t make it past the obstacle your are tackling then good luck.

So what will we do? I don’t know. I think the LT lost a few points in the equation. They need a decent power option and go full electric ditching propane. Their actual feedback is that nobody need more power than they offer. I work in sales and I would never tell my customers they don‘t need what they ask for. Our power consumption was not that high. We did not even use starlink or PCs to work. I could see a huge amount of people needing more power than they offer, so I thought their reaction was really out of place.
Also, they need Hydronic heating with recirculating hot water. And all of that while being 180K max with the pickup. Then it becomes more comparable, and essentially you would trade off-roading with living space and usability when debating LT vs Storyteller.
The Transit? Well I don‘t know that I can live with the poor tech and lack of space for my legs when driving. It’s just really bad. And at the end of the day you spend long time driving. If we find a good deal to swallow that compromise, maybe?

The Tune option remains. It’s interesting because budget friendly, can build the interior as I want with all the battery power I want, etc. And I can put it on an efficient full size F-150 again optioned how I want. Comes with many compromises but at least you don’t pay the price of a condo for it like for the ST and the LT.

There is no perfect option, and everybody’s need is different. I am glad we do have so many options and hopefully my little train of thoughts and experience in the last few pages will help others having similar dilemma.

I encourage everybody to rent and try all options. I sat 1 hour in a Transit and Storyteller and it brought me NOTHING compared to living the experience for several days. If I could rent a Supertramp this would be my next move but I won‘t fly to Denver to sit 1h in one. Maybe it would surprise me like the Transit did? I would love to try for sure, it would only be fair to spend an equal amount of time before making a final judgement.
Great write up and review.

I will say out of respect for this Supertramp specific thread that we’re in perhaps you should start a new thread comparing campers with vans or vans with vans just to keep things on point.

That said it was great you had that opportunity but it sounds like it made things as clear as mud for you…. In the beginning or your post I was like “oh good he’s decided on a van, sounds like that will work out” and by the end I’m pretty much like “oh, he still doesn’t have any idea lol”.

Anyway if you want a comparable electric system I would 1000% say build out an M1. The ST is completely awesome but you aren’t going to retrofit hydronic heat or 5 million gigawatts of power into it. If you start with the Tune you could build it to your own exact specs. Plus I would LOVE to see a Tune that built out. I’m really loving those campers.

I do have a small question about power, I don’t doubt you because I have no idea about that van but 9000W of power while driving? That’s 9000W / 12v or 750 Amps of power? Run that power cable around the camper floor and it should certainly stay warm. Unless it’s not a 12V battery system? Something like a 48V like the new cybertruck? 9000W / 48v would be 188 Amps. Still an incredible amount of power. @DTAdventure is able to charge at 1400W with his two BC/DC changers which is pretty impressive..

Anyway, I’ll reiterate this topic deserves its own thread outside of the Supertramp specific one. IMHO.

Last edited:

Spencer for Hire

Great write up and review.

I will say out of respect for this Supertramp specific thread that we’re in perhaps you should start a new thread comparing campers with vans or vans with vans just to keep things on point.

That said it was great you had that opportunity but it sounds like it made things as clear as mud for you…. In the beginning or your post I was like “oh good he’s decided on a van, sounds like that will work out” and by the end I’m pretty much like “oh, he still doesn’t have any idea lol”.

Anyway if you want a comparable electric system I would 1000% say build out an M1. The ST is completely awesome but you aren’t going to retrofit hydronic heat or 5 million gigawatts of power into it. If you start with the Tune you could build it to your own exact specs. Plus I would LOVE to see a Tune that built out. I’m really loving those campers.

I do have a small question about power, I don’t doubt you because I have no idea about that van but 9000W of power while driving? That’s 9000W / 12v or 750 Amps of power? Run that power cable around the camper floor and it should certainly stay warm. Unless it’s not a 12V battery system? Something like a 48V like the new cybertruck? 9000W / 48v would be 188 Amps. Still an incredible amount of power. @DTAdventure is able to charge at 1400W with his two BC/DC changers which is pretty impressive..

Anyway, I’ll reiterate this topic deserves its own thread outside of the Supertramp specific one. IMHO.
Keep this thread the way it is. He is comparing other products to Supertramp while showing us the pros and cons of the Supertramp. That's what potential consumers need to hear.

ExpoMike

I do have a small question about power, I don’t doubt you because I have no idea about that van but 9000W of power while driving? That’s 9000W / 12v or 750 Amps of power?
My guess there is an extra zero in that number. 900 watts would be more likely.

As for the comparison between a van and camper (of any type) is very apples to oranges. I think the big advantage that slide in campers have is, you can replace the vehicle without replacing the camper. If you have some catastrophic failure with the vehicle, you can remove the camper and put it into another truck. With a van, if you have a major vehicle failure, you lose the entire build. Even if you just wear out the vehicle (high miles), a van you start over, a truck, you just swap it out. Just another perspective to think about.

jaywo

My guess there is an extra zero in that number. 900 watts would be more likely.

As for the comparison between a van and camper (of any type) is very apples to oranges. I think the big advantage that slide in campers have is, you can replace the vehicle without replacing the camper. If you have some catastrophic failure with the vehicle, you can remove the camper and put it into another truck. With a van, if you have a major vehicle failure, you lose the entire build. Even if you just wear out the vehicle (high miles), a van you start over, a truck, you just swap it out. Just another perspective to think about.

Haha, I can see you are both as surprised as I was. When I said game changer, I wasn't exaggerating. I confirm the battery charged at well over 9000W when driving. Of course it would vary depending on if we were cruising slow or accelerating, and start slower and also be slower after battery reached 90% so the average was a bit slower. I confirmed it in real time multiple times. This is further confirmed by the fact that the 12Kwh system (which is in fact a 13.6kwh with 12kwh usable) would charge from 60 to 80% in about 20 minutes during our tests.
This is further confirmed by a buddy of mine who has been living out of a ST for 2 years, he is the one who told me to check those vans initially. He puts his AC all day when he is working in the van and it's too hot inside. He has put a "high idle mode" on his Sprinter, and so he can start the engine for a very short time and fully recharge the battery that way.

This is why they only give you 90W solar (so the battery does not die when you store it on a driveway for months). I initially thought this amount of solar was a joke. But then you realize even 600W of solar would effectively charge at about 400W in good sun, which is so ridiculously low when you look at the battery size and the fact the van can charge it above 9000W. Then it makes sense why they did not include more solar!

On the below link that is actually from Expedition portal, they say it's a 58V system. That might explain why they can make it possible.
Their new 2024 system is now Lithionics and come with a much larger 16.xKwh and a better 5Y warranty.

I would love Supertramp to take into consideration the need of some customers to use starlink / work on the road / etc. and offer a similar solution. If not as much power, at least either a high engine charge rate, or higher solar capacity.

The Storyteller is years ahead of most of the competition on the systems. Now when I see a brand new sprinter from those custom outfitters for $230K with a webasto and 300Ah of lithium, I am laughing. I used to think the price of the ST was a negative (you can buy a used pickup and LT for cheaper) but now I think it's actually very competitive.
The only truck campers I could find with similar systems are all costing a fortune (including Storyteller new pickup camper, earth roamers,...).

Even though all of those nice things are very impressive, it does not change the fact that it remains a van and will loose the battle against the pickup off-road.
Also, what ExpoMike is saying is true: I much prefer wearing a 70K vehicle, and change it to another one when I want, than wearing both the camper and vehicle at the same time (van).

My dream setup would be:
A Supertramp-like camper with the Storyteller systems, and a truck passthrough, all for $200K or less. The closest thing to this is the Rossmonster Baja which is pretty excellent. But it's 250-300K and I don't want something longer than the Supertramp which is already longer than the van option. If you think about it, a Supertramp is 80K loaded, a pickup is 80K loaded. That leaves 40K to Supertramp just to add a better system with no propane, and a passthrough. Technically they could do it for less than 20K easily, so it is more than realistic in my opinion but won't be done: damn me. Unless they are reading this and realize they could kill the market by offering something unique instead of using the same old systems you see on every single camper out there :).

In the meantime, "You can't have it all" has never been so true.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Okay, being at 58v makes a huge difference. Also reading in the article they are running a secondary, auxiliary alternator is a big difference. You're not relying on the stock 12v system to do any of the house power.

9000w at 58v = 160 amp of charging, which wiring wise, in very doable. For a 12v system, it would require 750 amps, which would mean the cables would be the size of the driveshaft.

So with this info, why could you not add a secondary alt and isolate the ST wiring from the truck? Sure you're going to need a battery bank to handle that and 12v converters and/or inverters to run everything but that could solve the power issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger