Supplimental battery in.. the CD changer for a jeep WJ

madmax718

Explorer
radio_cdch3.jpg

Wondering if anyone has considered this.

6.54in (length), 4.96in (width), 6.54in (height); 22.00lbs 30 AHr battery.
410vJ3GdZIL._SX385_.jpg

its pretty much the same as my jump pack, except now it will be mounted, and out of the way. the constant power cigarette lighter is next to it, so it won't be difficult to recharge. In theory I could plug it in to give a weak battery a quick boost to start, without removing it.

madmax718

Explorer
here's another battery (just gotta make sure it fits) Oddesey AGM
Battery Model PC925L
If your battery is shipping outside the Continental U.S., click here to find a dealer in your area.
BCI Group Size B30L-B
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 330
20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) 28
Reserve Capacity Minutes 48
Dimensions L x W x H - Inches 6.64 x 7.05 x 5.83
Metric Dimensions L x W x H - mm 168.7 x 179.1 x 148.1
Weight (lbs) 26.0
Weight (kg) 11.8
Application Notes

GCJEEPING

Observer
I stuck the 2nd battery under the hood. Installed a BlueSea auto switching charging relay so I can self jump from the cab with push of a switch.

Switch is on bottom left.

GCJEEPING

Observer
Went from EverlastMaxx group 65 with around 800cca to two Die hard platinum group 34/78AGM deep cycle batts with around 850cca each. So yes they are smaller but higher amp and AGM. Also have 200 amp alt to keep thing going too.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I found that I didn't truly need dual batteries, BUT the trailer has it's own battery and solar. I'm planning to get another charge controller and wires to be able to plug the panel in to the Jeep if I camp with the fridge without the trailer. Unless you're running the stereo, fridge and stuff, you shouldn't even need a second battery or power source (solar).

So really think about WHY you want a second battery before thinking you NEED one.

madmax718

Explorer
The truth is I don't need one- I just want a way to hold on to a spare battery as a jump pack. Lol. My jump pack is large, but the battery is not that large. Without all the bells and whistles of the plastic packaging, the cigarette lighters, the jumper cables, the charge indicator, its really just a battery. it saves me that half cubic foot of space- I could even run it underneath the stock spare realistically, as long as I made sure it couldn't bounce around and had good terminal insulation protection. I have a goal zero charge controller to regulate charge control from either the cigarette lighter, or from my solar panels. The battery is a year old, so Im not worried its going to konk out on me, but like everything else, a backup is a good thing.

GCJEEPING

Observer
I found I need one since I dont have a trailer with a batt or a solar panel. Later down the road I get panel. Where I go a lot of times I find myself winching to get to places which at times can take a lot out of a batt. Also running a fridge, stereo, lights, fan/heater and 2k inverter. I also have a 900w gen if all else fails. My spare takes up no cargo space and the peace of mind knowing I wont get stranded for a bad batt is nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears