Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

I don't have a RTT yet, but I've been skimming through this thread and with all these bungee cords, I'm surprised nobody thought of this idea yet:
If you took a short string a put a key ring or any round object at the end of it, you could run all the bungees through the loop so they will run up at an angle and you would have more room to move around underneath, IF you don't remove and re-attach the bungees every time you set up and tear down.

Lucky j

Explorer
They are just plastic hooks at the end of the bungee. Take 30 sec to set-up and even less to remove at the most. That is when I think about setting them up.

iamsuperb

Does anyone use a double sleeping bag in their tent? I have a Tepui Autana and am thinking about ordering this Teton sports mammoth queen size bag from amazon. Looks pretty comfy but bulky. I would want to store it in the tent. Any thought? Do you think it would be too big to leave folded up inside the tent?

lugueto

Adventurer
I've left PJ's, full-size pillows, blankets and other stuff in the tent when changing campsites. It closed without trouble.

If the sleeping bag will only be used on the RTT, you can leave it in there. If I were you, I would leave it as flat as I could so that the tent will close as easy as possible, and when you open up the tent again, you'll have a neatly folded and pressed sleeping bag ready!

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I have the Autana and I leave two pillows, a wool blanket and one mummy bag in there. I think I've also left my wife's mummy in there before but things get a bit crammed. I usually button up the entire tent and close the window opposite off the ladder last, that way I can organize everything on the portion of the floor above my Jeep and close the tent with out everything dumping or tumbling off the other side. Also, pack everything close to the hinge and leave a horse shoe shape around it, that way you have room on the sides for all the tent fabric to get stuffed away.

Lucky j

Explorer
I leave the double sleeping bag, 2 wool blanket and pillows in mine, is is an ARB pilbara. But slepping are down.

We have a harder tome doing so with my girls friend Autohome, maybe because or the latter that as to go in and the hard shell, but some how we are not able to make it happen.

iamsuperb

I have the Autana and I leave two pillows, a wool blanket and one mummy bag in there. I think I've also left my wife's mummy in there before but things get a bit crammed. I usually button up the entire tent and close the window opposite off the ladder last, that way I can organize everything on the portion of the floor above my Jeep and close the tent with out everything dumping or tumbling off the other side. Also, pack everything close to the hinge and leave a horse shoe shape around it, that way you have room on the sides for all the tent fabric to get stuffed away.

Good idea on folding the contents inside before folding up! Looks like I'll be making another purchase. Thanks for the info!

TheFutur

Adventurer
Ill back up what RuffnReadyXJ said

In the summer i leave two 3 season sleepingbags in it, 2 fleece liners, 3 pillows (my gf sleeps with 2 pillows), 2-4 blankets and sometimes a change of clothes. This is also with an anti-condensation matt.

In the winter we leave two mummy bags, 3 pillows, 2-4 blankets and sometimes a change of clothes.. And most recently my glasses... That was a pain to get them out of the tent alongside the highway bahaha.

We also fold everything over before we close the tent so we maximize space.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I spotted this in a Craigslist ad. Note where the solar panel is located.

Outside of wind loading considerations it makes for a nice shadow free location and easy to reposition towards the sunlight

00V0V_1XCYmFJteNl_600x450.jpg

00x0x_ao3UK3FIZdK_600x450.jpg

00P0P_89ofvExAkzn_600x450.jpg

00W0W_atnWjNMRqma_600x450.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Does anyone use a double sleeping bag in their tent? I have a Tepui Autana and am thinking about ordering this Teton sports mammoth queen size bag from amazon. Looks pretty comfy but bulky. I would want to store it in the tent. Any thought? Do you think it would be too big to leave folded up inside the tent?

We make ours up like a bed with sheets and a open single sleeping bag for a blanket. I think I am going to invest in a Woolrich blanket in the near future. My wife also folds the bedding up some to keep it from flopping all around.

dcg141

Adventurer
I have one of the Teton double sleeping bags and its really comfortable. Its also huge. Pretty bulky but I love sleeping in it. I don't leave in in the tent because I already have a memory foam topper.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
I have one of the Teton double sleeping bags and its really comfortable. Its also huge. Pretty bulky but I love sleeping in it. I don't leave in in the tent because I already have a memory foam topper.

I picked one of these up about 3 years back. Saved my *** on a camping trip with a pregnant wife. Such a good investment. Shopping for an RTT now, we'll be using it in there too so I'm hoping it'll fit when folded up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger