Surplus Medic Storage chest

danfromsyr

Adventurer
I've been eyeing one of these for a camp kitchen, but I'd like it better if the drawers were oriented with it on it's side.
then it would be able to rest on one table while you used the other.
but I'm thinking a board between the 2 bottom shelves with the drawer unit in between. :chef:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/used-us-portable-medic-storage-chest?a=504824

151898_ts.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a pretty nice unit as it stands, so's a regular GI field desk. Maybe use it as an inspiration / starting point for your own custom build, build exactly what you want. There are some fantastic examples in the camping Equipment forum. Really creative stuff, like the nesting tables / leg stands.

paranoid56

Adventurer
we have one and use it for camping, but i will say that its damn heavy. i also added more handles on the other sides as its awkward to move around with the way it is stock

amo292

Adventurer
I also have one but retired it due to its heaviness. It weighed about 60lbs before you put anything in it! I did love the concept of it though. Got a perfect size camp table built in and it was water and air tight. If I had a way to permanently mount it in the tuck I would keep using it. If you plan on making your way east anytime soon I could make you a deal on it. just let me know.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The one issue I see is that it's designed to be stored in an upright position. If you store it on its side (which would be necessary in most vehicles, I would think) or on its back all the stuff that's in the drawers would probably fall out.
I used field desks a lot in the Army, but they are quite heavy. If you're going to be staying in one place for a while I can see them as being useful but I would hate to take one out every night and load it back up in the morning.

rayra

Expedition Leader
True, but any sort of chuck box / combo table solution is going to have that issue of heft. There are really some clever designs in the camping equipment section. Essentially boxes that open with a split face, the doors become wings and supports for an unfolding top. And the whole thing when closed fits down into a close-fitting structure that becomes a leg stand when it's set up. Very origami. But lots of usable volume that can be arranged almost any way you want.

You can scale a design to any dimension you need, roughly the size of an ARB fridge. And a hard box could be fit with latches that let you lock it down to a mounting location.

I'll try to find a topic or some pics of the design I'm talking about, it's really quite nice for the purpose.

An example of the type of setup I'm talking about. The leg base is basically a zero room sort of thing. You turn the leg base upside down and you slide the closed box down into it. Whole thing becomes a cube.

FOD5QSHH52FXERV.RECTANGLE1.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chuck-Box-Camp-Kitchen/

Last edited:

cruisertoy

Explorer
As has been stated, These buggers are heavy. I bought 4 of them at auction a while back and sold two to pay for the two I kept. I have one in my m416 trailer and like it but it is heavy once I get everything in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12