Surprised no one is discussing the Cybertruck today.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Reply guy sez it's not dinosaurs, it's plant material...and there's a lot more of it out there

TBH electric cars have a lot of appeal for me as would fit 90% of my actual use, running errands and people and pooches and bikes around locally, leaving it plugged in at home when not in use.

Hate the idea that an over the air software update (or hack or lack thereof) might brick my car, or decide that I shouldn't drive that day, or AI autopilot would decide to act in the 'greater good' and sacrifice the driver,

or report me for speeding and raise my insurance, or simply sell my breadcrumbs...

Mine runs on recycled material...

Reply guy sez it's not dinosaurs, it's plant material...and there's a lot more of it out there

TBH electric cars have a lot of appeal for me as would fit 90% of my actual use, running errands and people and pooches and bikes around locally, leaving it plugged in at home when not in use.

Hate the idea that an over the air software update (or hack or lack thereof) might brick my car, or decide that I shouldn't drive that day, or AI autopilot would decide to act in the 'greater good' and sacrifice the driver,

or report me for speeding and raise my insurance, or simply sell my breadcrumbs...
I can understand those concerns but that technology is not exclusive to EVs. It could also be possible to mitigate that intrusion with a functional government, but that’s a different conversation.

And yes it’s plant biomass. Essentially ancient, dirty, hard to get to, stored sunshine. There is a workaround.

ThundahBeagle

To be fair' over the air updates can already do that type of stuff

ThundahBeagle

I can understand those concerns but that technology is not exclusive to EVs. It could also be possible to mitigate that intrusion with a functional government, but that’s a different conversation.

And yes it’s plant biomass. Essentially ancient, dirty, hard to get to, stored sunshine. There is a workaround.
But see, your car doesn't really run on sunshine though, does it? Electricity is 60 to 80% generated by fossil fuels for now. Obviously that's changing. But can you really say your car runs on sunshine?
I liked the Priuses that had a solar panel built into them (roof? Sunroof? Rear window? I forget)

Friend from work just got a Volvo C40. Nice looking car. They go something like 25 miles total per work day and it's a really good fit for them. Next step for them is home charger because they said they already have "long distance angst" when using this car. Need for infrastructure

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
But see, your car doesn't really run on sunshine though, does it? Electricity is 60 to 80% generated by fossil fuels for now. Obviously that's changing. But can you really say your car runs on sunshine?

Doesn't matter to some people, they need the feelgoods they get from claiming they are saving the world, even though evidence proves that feeling to be incorrect, they stick to it no matter the proof or not.

I liked the Priuses that had a solar panel built into them (roof? Sunroof? Rear window? I forget)

Friend from work just got a Volvo C40. Nice looking car. They go something like 25 miles total per work day and it's a really good fit for them. Next step for them is home charger because they said they already have "long distance angst" when using this car. Need for infrastructure
I have 6 kW on my roof, and I work at home. Sure for road trips I am reliant on the grid, we travel from Sacramento to Tucson pretty regularly with no issues.

Tesla has the charging network game pretty tied up. Other manufacturers are switching to their standard and will be able to use Tesla chargers soon. It’s already available in some locations here in California.

Yeah, people should do their homework and decide which EV works best for them. All the information is available and we all know you can’t trust the salesman. I know people who just show up at a dealer and pick one, blows my mind. Brand loyalty just doesn’t cut it with EVs, Toyota and Subaru are nearly the worst but have very loyal customers.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
HOT OFF THE AUTOMOTIVE PRESS

The first spy shots have been released released today of Musk’s Development and Engineering Department actually road testing the initial version of a new Cyber Van prototype.

It has coated, metallic, completely reflective windows and a radical expandable cab and wheelbase which purportedly can be stretched out for different variations of increased seating capacity and cargo haulage.

Stayed tuned for more information as further experimental models are tested…

IMG_3004.jpeg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Surprised nobody is discussing gas being sub $2.00 per gallon again, us all being overlanders driving our massive rigs overland on the daily...

$1.86 the other day but my tank was already topped off :cry:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don't know any pedestrians that havebeen hit by a car. I do know many cyclists that have been severely injured, maimed, and killed by cars. Sure some of them were by vehicles with big grills but every single one involved either negligence, speeding, drugs, or ill intent. Statistically 49% of the pedestrians killed are hit by people with alcohol in their blood. 30% involved pedestrians with a blood alcohol content over 0.08%. I lt's not big vehicles that are the problem. The problem is more people drive like ****************** and there just happens to be more big vehicles on the road. I pulled those numbers off of the CDC website.

Cyber truck is probably safer because it'll correct for drink drivers to some degree. It's still an overpriced door stop.
The daily has a interview this week specifically about vehicle vs pedestrian a study shows its linked to distracted driving. Big vehicle vs small is discussed and found to be a non factor. Europe is the only statistic that bucks the trend but the statistic they found interesting is availability of a free hand vs not. Auto vs manual

Apparently hands free isn’t as effective in the US. And research data is suggesting Americans can’t keep their hands off devices😆

Interesting interview and study go listen to it.

Which case… The argument for more AI in the vehicle to address poor operator behavior could be argued. That would send NV over the edge lol

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have 6 kW on my roof, and I work at home. Sure for road trips I am reliant on the grid, we travel from Sacramento to Tucson pretty regularly with no issues.

Tesla has the charging network game pretty tied up. Other manufacturers are switching to their standard and will be able to use Tesla chargers soon. It’s already available in some locations here in California.

Yeah, people should do their homework and decide which EV works best for them. All the information is available and we all know you can’t trust the salesman. I know people who just show up at a dealer and pick one, blows my mind. Brand loyalty just doesn’t cut it with EVs, Toyota and Subaru are nearly the worst but have very loyal customers.
The solar business is worse than the Used car corner lot business also. 8.2kwh system here. I purchased the equipment and hired a electrician and did the installation with him in 2015. Tesla solar is probably the worst customer scam going. Junk surplus outdated equipment bought in bulk at auctions sold as high end quality solar equipment to unsuspecting customers.

“Manufacturers warranty? Oh we’ll fix anything that fails” ie the equipment is junk..

There are 4 houses in my neighborhood on their 2nd full solar system the first was Tesla and totally failed garbage after 7-10 yrs.

My 2015 system is 100% micro inverter system 25yr manufacturer warranty on the panels and inverters. Cost me 1/2 the price that Tesla and several “solar” companies quoted me in 2015. And why I skipped them and did it my self.

Solar industry will face a serious PR issue in the next few yrs as the garbage systems they sold fail and leave a large number of customers questioning the business and technology. If they knew they were sold clapped out garbage but paid for top of the line stuff it might be different but most buyers haven’t a clue what they have.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Which case… The argument for more AI in the vehicle to address poor operator behavior could be argued. That would send NV over the edge lol

Hahaha...... I'm sure idiot drivers, especially in kaleefornya need help driving, but I've never been in an accident and don't need any kind of assistance, but enjoy all the nanny requirements in your vehicles, mine don't have or need that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998