Survival Sack: When things go bad...

Scott Brady

Founder
As another interesting point of discussion. What should you always carry on your person?

Of course, you can end up looking like a goof-ball, all Armageddoned-out, walking down the street with 20lbs. of stuff hanging on your belt.
minotaurkahrmk9camoflageexposed.jpg

Here is my list:
1. Watch with second hand. This is the one I am currently wearing.
P_6504_black_storm_pro_det.jpg

2. iPod. This device serves a bunch of functions, including coms. compass, GPS, weather (with service), even slick little references for medical care, knots, etc. It even functions as a flashlight. Battery power, is of course the major issue.
1942-20.5.4.jpg

3. Knife. Have a good folder or semi-auto on you. I typically carry the KISS, though there are probably better options here.
CR5500K_xlarge_4196_full_124.jpg

4. Cash- Always have enough cash on you, as it can solve many problems.

Some other ideas for discussion:
1. Little survival gadget to fit in your wallet
creditcardtool.jpg

2. Sidearm (obviously, some will see the advantage, some will not)
Tuck-N-Go-O-L.jpg

3. Paracord Bracelet. I just got one of these to test out. Survival Straps
SB-WIDE-2T.jpg

kjp1969

Explorer
Nothing on my belt, ever. A small Victorinox on my keychain and my wits, and that's about it.

I have more stuff in each car and desk at work, like a good knife, flashlight, fire extinguisher and first aid kits. I prefer to have all this stuff nearby, rather than hanging off of me at all times.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I usually have cargo pants or shorts on when I'm 'wheeling/exploring, and I have at leaat a granola bar and knife on my person at all times.
I have my bug out bag loaded with what I feel are essentials, but I need to take the time to refine it down a bit as it's about 40 pounds, and I would prefer to take something a bit lighter if I have to hike out in rough terrain.

I want to go back to the winch line breaking in that river episode...
Was he trying to pull the Disco in a sideways motion? That is the first thing popped into my head, maybe it snapped because it snagged on a sharp corner of the fairlead or even on a part of the vehicle?

And has the Disco been removed from the river yet?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Oh, I had another question...

How much water do you guys put inside your pack?
I'm thinking for the average warm spring/fall day.
Summer temps get pretty high in the southwest obviously... so the amount of water would increase quite a bit. (Or at least "should" increase.)

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I have a CHL, but that does not mean that I carry a sidearm on my person at all times. I always have my leatherman, a pocket knife and a lighter... the rest I can do without at least for a little while.

As far as water in the bug out bag, i keep 2 single quart canteens... canteens have the advantage of being easily useable with a gas mask, heatable, and stout....... and my MSR Sweetwater filter.

Other things I keep in my bug out bag include:

-Survival Knife (with sling shot, paracord, alternate saw blade, compass, needle, two WP matches, fish hook w/ line, and small whistle)
-magnesium fire starter
-emergency bivy
-warm hat (as long as you stay moving, you need little else in most climates)
-2 bic lighters
-3 dehydrated meals
-MSR Superfly stove w/ fuel can
-tevas
-hiking boots
-snares

General strategy is to get out / get away, find water source, follow it down stream until I find people / help. If there is a decent sized road, I may follow it instead of water source, but usually sticking near a stream will eventually lead you to someone, IME.

EDIT: ...and extra socks... add warm clothing as needed.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
I've revised my EDC items too many times. Initially they all make sense and have a purpose but ultimately they're hard to carry especially when you wear dress pants and shirts to work. For e.g. I'd like to carry three things on my keyring:

1. A good quality multi tool
2. A decent flashlight
3. A lighter

In reality my Leatherman Wave is both too bulky and heavy to carry on a keyring along with my Gerber AAA flashlight, a BIC lighter and 4 keys on the ring. So overtime I've scaled down to a cheap Winchester folder in my pocket and the Gerber flashlight on the keyring.

There are really two situations I need to be prepared for:

1. The big impending earthquake that's supposed to hit us Californians
2. Getting lost or stranded while out exploring

My hiking backpack contains:

1. Small first-aid kit
2. Small Doug Ritter 'survival' kit
3. wool cap, gloves, poncho, empty tomato can, matches, lighter, fixed blade survival knife, para-cord, a compass, a couple of power bars, 16oz water bottle, 64oz water bladder, a match box and a lighter.

Last edited:

CJCA

Adventurer
There are really two situations I need to be prepared for:

1. The big impending earthquake that's supposed to hit us Californians
2. Getting lost or stranded while out exploring

That's my #1 as well. The 6.5 quake we had here a couple of weeks ago got my attention. I'm assembling a survival backpack to keep in the trunk of the car. Enough basic supplies that are easily carried and that allows me to safely survive all seasons for 2 to 3 days.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I've revised my EDC items too many times. Initially they all make sense and have a purpose but ultimately they're hard to carry especially when you wear dress pants and shirts to work. For e.g. I'd like to carry three things on my keyring:

1. A good quality multi tool
2. A decent flashlight
3. A lighter

In reality my Leatherman Wave is both too bulky and heavy to carry on a keyring along with my Gerber AAA flashlight, a BIC lighter and 4 keys on the ring. So overtime I've scaled down to a cheap Winchester folder in my pocket and the Gerber flashlight on the keyring.
You might want to look at the Leatherman Micra tool, have one in my pocket at all times. Certainly not as good as a full size multi but small and useful enough.
Key features I find useful;
  • Small screwdriver, just right for eyeglasses
  • Clever Phillips screw driver, I actually changed a hard drive with it one time.
  • Tweezers that actually work, I use them all the time.
  • Scissors that work
  • And most important, a bottle opener.

tremors834

Adventurer
This is a good point. I usually use my wireless controller, which I assume will be useless in this situation. My back up normal/wired remote is buried in with the vehicle spare parts... no way I could get to it in a hurry. I am thinking this may change.
~ James

This is very interesting thread.
It makes me wonder how those that have rear slide out drawer storage would be able to get to a piece of emergency equipment should access to the rear hatch/door of the vehicle become compromised where it could not be opened and the drawers be slid open, such as a water crossing gone bad, etc.

Maybe a top hatch type access door be built into the drawer unit. The hinged portion of the hatch could be towards the rear or sides of the vehicle where one could just climb to the rear seat, reach over, open the hatch and grab what's needed.

IDK, maybe I'm just thinking to much into this??

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
If I don't have the dogs, I seatbelt my bug out bag in the back seat passenger side. I have been thionking about adding some hooks or other means of suspension from the ceiling to secure the pack, since I can't see out of the rear when I'm loaded anyways. Has anyone done this?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
This is very interesting thread.
It makes me wonder how those that have rear slide out drawer storage would be able to get to a piece of emergency equipment should access to the rear hatch/door of the vehicle become compromised where it could not be opened and the drawers be slid open, such as a water crossing gone bad, etc.

Maybe a top hatch type access door be built into the drawer unit. The hinged portion of the hatch could be towards the rear or sides of the vehicle where one could just climb to the rear seat, reach over, open the hatch and grab what's needed.

IDK, maybe I'm just thinking to much into this??
I keep my day pack bungeed to the back of the PS front seat.

In my mental design of a drawer system there is a hatch that opens to a compartment located in the front just behind the front seats. This would be useful not only for the survival bag but maps, snacks etc. that you want to reach while driving.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I took one of those roof rack stretchy cargo nets and hung it vertically behind my front seats. It provides a surprisingly snug place (between the cargo net and the back of the front seats) to stash things I need/want in a hurry (ie. bug out bag, First Aid kit, snacks, etc). I just ran one ratchet strap between the rear passenger grab handles and another between the outer most points where the seat bolts to the floor. Then, I hook the plastic hooks from the cargo to the strap. I have never had anything work loose and can grab anything I need with one arm and my seat belt fastened, no hooks or fasteners to undo, nothing to dig through/around. I still think is it the best mod I have done to any vehicle I have ever owned.

If I don't have the dogs, I seatbelt my bug out bag in the back seat passenger side. I have been thionking about adding some hooks or other means of suspension from the ceiling to secure the pack, since I can't see out of the rear when I'm loaded anyways. Has anyone done this?

Ruffin' It

Explorer
It seems like pretty much everything is covered (not surprising). I didn't catch a couple things I tend to carry in case I have to hike out (I am a former Rover owner, so I worry about these things).
Baby Powder - Really nice to have if you are starting to get sweaty. A little in "high friction areas" prevents chaffing and keeps you dry, which is nice when the sun and temps start to drop. Nothing worse than damp socks and undies when it gets below 50.
Mole Skin - If you are hiking for your life, covering an area that is starting to blister helps you keep going AND reduced the chances of an open sore (which can turn into a nasty infected wound).
Wool Blanket - Wool keeps 80% of it's ability to retain heat when wet. A good wool survival blanket can act as an additional layer when walking (worn like a cape), something warm to wrap up in while (trying) to sleep, and an essential peice of First Aid equipment if someone goes into shock. It can be a pillow, a tourniquet, a sling, a stretcher if properly placed between heavy enough sticks, shade if it gets really sunny, can pre-filter larger debris out of water for drinking, use as a sling to collect firewood in, wind stop, flag to wave to get people's attention, etc. A good peice of kit to have and pretty light considering all the things it can do.

Other than that, I think you guys have it covered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179