Suspension options, To lift or not to lift?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Just got the 33x10.5R15 BFG KM2s mounted:

79a811d08fce702ff2d1bf37745c9aaa.jpg

746bf7f878677b91d9ae5a45aa20438a.jpg

I need to get an alignment but before doing so I figured I would ask if you guys recommend doing a lift or any kind of suspension mods? From what Ive been able to find a lot of people crank the torsion bars to raise the front but what about the rear? Any recommendations would be very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
When you get you alignment done, ask them to set your ride height level - and if the shop doesn't know how to do this procedure - find a new shop. No lift required for 33" x 10.5

Last edited:

SONICMASD

Adventurer
No lift required for 33" x 10.5

Yes, I know the tires fit fine with no lift. I guess what I'm asking is - what kind of suspension upgrades are recommended for these vehicles? Different Shocks, Torsion Twist, Sequoia Spring Spacers, Low Profile Bumpstops, etc.?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Serious overlanders only need as much lift as they NEED. Do you NEED more lift?

Lots of folks feel obliged to lift their trucks. Get out and use it. If, after having taken it to the places that interest you, you feel it needs lift, then by all means go for it.

The stock suspension can't really be much improved unless you need a bit of lift and/or want to increase cargo carrying capacity.

jlocster

Explorer
If you need more carrying capacity, Old Man Emu makes a set of heavy duty springs. They give a 3/4" lift in the rear and the front can be leveled out to match by cranking the torsion bars. That's your easiest suspension lift. The body lift option is there as well with 1" or 2" spacers from 4crawler.com. I'd have to agree with Sabre, though. These trucks are already narrow, so any extra height increases the propensity for rollover, especially if you load up a roof rack. If you plan on rock crawling and need the lift, go for it. If you're going to be overlanding, I'd err on the side of staying near stock ride height.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Thank you Sabre and Jlocster, those replies were very helpful. I'm an overlander, not a rock crawler, and the tires aren't rubbing so far (haven't tried full flex/articulation yet) so that leads me to just leave things alone. As you can see in my pic, the front end is definitely slanted down - do you guys think the Montys were like that stock or that some front suspension bits have sagged over the 160k? If so, which components do you think are the most likely culprits?

Lastly, regarding low profile bump stops - from what I've been able to find they are a good idea if you do the torision bar lift. But if I do not do the lift, should I still get the low profile bump stops?

THX!

plh

Explorer
Thank you Sabre and Jlocster, those replies were very helpful. I'm an overlander, not a rock crawler, and the tires aren't rubbing so far (haven't tried full flex/articulation yet) so that leads me to just leave things alone. As you can see in my pic, the front end is definitely slanted down - do you guys think the Montys were like that stock or that some front suspension bits have sagged over the 160k? If so, which components do you think are the most likely culprits?

Lastly, regarding low profile bump stops - from what I've been able to find they are a good idea if you do the torision bar lift. But if I do not do the lift, should I still get the low profile bump stops?

THX!

Guess you didn't read what I wrote

jlocster

Explorer
The front end sag can be alleviated by just adjusting the torsion bars. There's a post that discusses how to do it somewhere on Expo. You'll want to adjust the torsion bars to your liking before you get an alignment. If you need low profile bumpstops in the future you can always install them. I wouldn't worry about them until if or when you find them necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998