Suspension/ Tire Question

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
A little more information about your rig and plans.

Tacomedic said:
Anybody runnin the OME kit (heavy duty) with 255/85's? I need to know if this is a good route to go.

I have run the OME 881 coils on my truck for approximately 22+ months. Not sure what coils you are calling the heavy duty (881 or 882).

Ca you provide a bit more information about your rig and plans for it that way we can give you a better recommendation. Do you have or plan to have add additional weight in the future such as aftermarket skid plates, sliders, dual batteries, bumper, winch, etc...? Are you looking for lift, flex, additional load carrying capacity, etc...?

There are also tons of threads that discuss Tacoma suspension in this section if you do a search. :)

Cheers,
P

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I am running the OME 882 heavy coils on my toyota (not the medium duty 881 coil). I am also running the 255/85/16 tire size. Great combo! The OME combo does not ride harse at all very smooth. The 255 tires give it that little extra as a bonus.

I had to trim the inner fender on my rig as do all. Since all rigs are not exactly the saem in the alighnment of cab fenders and all to the exact mm, I had found out after jumping my truck I also need to trim the fender itself at the bottom near the fire wall. As a result I now have a slightly bent fender.

This only happens when I bottom out the suspension however. I used a hammer to bend the fender up and out if the way of the tire since it was already messed up. When I replace the fender (if ever) I will use some snips to trim it back before I paint it.

PB180219.jpg

DSCN2463.jpg

sideshot.jpg

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Guys!

More info on my rig:

2003 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD 5 speed w/ camper shell and dual batteries. I plan on a bumper and a winch very soon. I've heard alot about the OME sagging in the front. That is my only concern. I have had such good experience with OME on my Jeeps that I would really like to use them again.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Tacomedic said:
Thanks. Anybody here discourage the OME kit for any reason? Sagging problems?

I've got the medium OME pack in the back of my 06 Tacoma and I've put as much as 2000lbs in the back of the truck and I've had no sagging problems with any of the heavy weights, I have put into my truck.

Best spring you can buy as far as I'm concerned. Love mine.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
OME Suspension

Tacomedic said:
Thanks Guys!
More info on my rig:
2003 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD 5 speed w/ camper shell and dual batteries. I plan on a bumper and a winch very soon. I've heard alot about the OME sagging in the front. That is my only concern. I have had such good experience with OME on my Jeeps that I would really like to use them again.

I’ve used OME products on the same generation vehicle as you have (1995.5 to 2004 Tacoma). In my case it was a 1999 Tacoma, 4x4 V6 with the following additions:

• TJM T-17 bumper
  • Warn M8000 winch with synthetic hawse fairlead and rope (~100 lbs over stock bumper and winch combined)
  • Dual batteries under the hood (~60 lbs)
  • Half the weight of sliders (~60 lbs)
  • Miscellaneous small items (off road light, compressor, winch controller, additional wiring, aux. fuse box, etc...). I know they are all small but together start to add up. (~25 lbs)

That’s a total of ~245 lbs over stock. In my case the OME supported the weight reasonably well. The truck remained slightly over stock height (~1/2” to 3/4”) with the added weigh. The OME provided excellent flex (as much as can be expected for stock IFS components). Where OME left something to be desired was during spirited driving. The front of the truck would bottom out. There was simply too much weight for the OME to cope with. That’s the main reason I went with the Donahoe/Icon set up. Their spring rates can handle more weight (650 lbs-in vs the OME 550 lbs-in). If you are not going to be adding a skid plate and sliders, the OME set up (882) would suit your needs but don’t expect it to maintain any lift over stock. For that reason I’d recommend you save you money for a quality set of coilovers.

Good luck.
P

daverami

Explorer
heeltoe989 said:
I've got the medium OME pack in the back of my 06 Tacoma .

A question. You have Dakars, correct? Do they come in different rates, as you say you have the medium pack. I didn't know that.

heeltoe989

Explorer
daverami said:
A question. You have Dakars, correct? Do they come in different rates, as you say you have the medium pack. I didn't know that.

yup there's a medium and heavy pack option, which adds an extra leaf. Unless you carrying allot of gear all the time I wouldn't bother. I carry about 650lbs worth of gear/ fuel/ food when I go camping and my medium springs work just fine and there empty performance is nice without being bone shattering. When I'm in Baja this year I will be carrying the same amount if not a little bit more and I'm not worried a bit. my truck doesn't seem to sag much maybe about 3/4 of an inch when I have that sort of weight in it. when I have 2000lbs in the back of it I'm still 2" away from the bump stops. mind you I've only done that once, taking a load of landscaping brink home to build the wife's garden. 146 bricks weighing 14lbs each. oh plus 3 optimas :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears