Suunto Traverse my backup travel GPS/GLONASS option

406expo

Adventurer
Hello All,

I am without a doubt a fan of cool handy gear and I wanted to share with you guys one of my more recent additions.

suunto-traverse-powerful-and-accurate-3.jpg

I have had this now for maybe three months or so, I bought it direct from Suunto and no I don't work for them or get any kickbacks or anything like that. I just love the watch and the two other suunto watches I have had. But the Traverse has been through the Rockies and across the east cost as well as Asia now. I honestly cant believe how fast the GPS and GLONASS conect compared to my last two Garmin Fenix watches. I usually love Garmin and have two or three hand helds and a truck mounted version we take on EVERY TRIP. The Fenix though is junk, had so many issues with both of mine it's not even worth talking about.

Anyway the Traverse batery life is good, like I said the fix is under 20 seconds and it has a lots of datums to choose from. Not sure how accurate the compass is but I guess since I have a military lenstatic close by I should compare right? I have mine set for MRGS right now but was previosuly running Lat Long, the vibrating alarm is great and everything just works on the watch really well.

If any of you are looking for a cool watch that can be charged while out on the trail via your battery pack or solar panels you might give the traverse a real look. My only complaint was the little watch keepers, they were over sized. So what I did was kinda cross them together making and X and that snugs them down on the band planty good.

Oh accuracy of the GPS is as good as my full size Garmin unit and conection speed is actually faster if you can believe that. So this for me is a handy backup or when trying to keep a low profile out in rough areas as I don't have my high dollar GPS mounted in the windshield tempting the dishonest.

If anyone is interested I will post up some of my own photos, but there not likely to be as good as the professional stuff you can see below
http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Sports-Watch-Collections/Suunto-Traverse-Collection/

406expo

Adventurer
Also forgot to add this is an ABC (altimeter, barometer, compass) watch and as well as the GPS and GLONASS. In case your not aware GPS is a USA based network and GLONASS is the Russian version known as global navigational satellite system. The cool thing is you can run just GPS or GPS and GLONASS which gives you a back up and they say also better accuracy. I do know that the GPS system will not provide civilian users the best accuracy while my research shows that GLONASS doesn't limit accuracy to the civilian side of the house. I have no way to honestly say for sure though as I have not found a GLONASS only device.

I don't use all the features of the watch and mainly stick to the dual time zone (handy for sat calls home), the sun rise and setting feature (super accurate and satellite based) and LOVE the combo alarm that makes noise and vibrates. All said I really love this watch as a backup and for daily use. Cheers!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
awesome watch. They are great. There is also a new garmin watch that has topo and birdseye capability as well. SWEET!

406expo

Adventurer
kojackJKU,

I love cool watches. which Garmin are you talking about, i will check it out? I had two fenix 1 watches and neither was great for me, but it was AMAZINGLY comfortable. I did see a guy here at work with a fenix 3 and it looked AMAZING! Very cool look.

kojackJKU

I am not sure on the model...its on their website. Don't start me on watches. I have spent WAY to much money on high end stuff, but now I just use my casio's and timex. My rolex etc stay in their cases.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Suunto's are nice, particularly for user-replaceable batteries, but yours is probably re-chargeable. Be wary though, Suunto's sensors have a finite life.

AaronK

Explorer
Fwiw I have a Garmin Vivoactive watch with GPS/GLONASS. You can select GPS only or GPS and GLONASS. I'm using GPS only and get sub 20 second fixes.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

406expo

Adventurer
Glad to hear the vivo is super quick, perhaps I will give them a look too. I wasn't aware the vivo had glonas and gps.

@kojack- I like the solar casio's and was on the verge of getting one when I came across the traverse.

@luckyjoe- Yes the traverse is rechargeable but I also run a core with user replaceable battery, very nice feature in the field. I wasn't aware the sensors on the suunto were limited in life or would deteriorate. I guess that's a bit of a bummer, however that is the way most stuff is. I guess if this one lasts as long as my last core (7 years) I wont be so disappointing, only time will tell.

kojackJKU

But. super awesome. full color topo plus sat imagery on your watch.....that's a no brainer for lots of activites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle