Suzuki Owners; Let's see your ExPo Trucks

REasley

Adventurer
I have not weighed the trailer yet, but I think it should come in just under 400 lbs empty. With all of our gear, 10 gallons of fuel & 20 gallons of water, I think it's around 850 lbs. The Samurai is rated to pull up to 1000 lbs, but I don't see how. When we leave home, the fuel jugs and water tanks are empty. The 1.3 just does not have the capacity to pull this kind of load.

Our 1740 mile round trip to Utah meant first climbing the Sierra Nevada Mts then crossing all the valleys and passes across Nevada. It made it ok, but we were not popular with the people behind us. Since this trip I have bought a Sidekick and will transplant the 1.6 into the Samurai, which of course is the engine it should have had from the factory.

SRN

Adventurer
I have not weighed the trailer yet, but I think it should come in just under 400 lbs empty. With all of our gear, 10 gallons of fuel & 20 gallons of water, I think it's around 850 lbs. The Samurai is rated to pull up to 1000 lbs, but I don't see how. When we leave home, the fuel jugs and water tanks are empty. The 1.3 just does not have the capacity to pull this kind of load.

Our 1740 mile round trip to Utah meant first climbing the Sierra Nevada Mts then crossing all the valleys and passes across Nevada. It made it ok, but we were not popular with the people behind us. Since this trip I have bought a Sidekick and will transplant the 1.6 into the Samurai, which of course is the engine it should have had from the factory.

What did you build your trailer out of? I've been thinking of building a travel trailer, but as you mentioned the Samurai wasn't designed to tow that much.

shahram

Adventurer
I just picked up this bad mamma-jamma about a month ago. Very pleased, so far. Took it out to the El Paso Mountains in the Mojave Desert a couple weeks back, and bone stock it handled like a billy goat...and carried about as much gear. Definitely a perfect little solo vehicle--I can throw a swag pad in the back with a modest beer cooler and a change of clothes, and be gone.

Future mods will be good seats and a roll cage for a little increased safety, very mild lift with nicer springs, shocks, and shackles, BFG All-Terrains in 235/75/R15, and a matte desert tan paint job...this red paint makes it look too fast. Don't want any cops getting the wrong idea...:ylsmoke:

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

compactcamping

Explorer
After a number of years without a 4WD and using my Subaru for off-pavement exploring, I just picked up a 1992 Suzuki Sidekick. Don't get me wrong, the Subaru is actually pretty good off-road. The Subaru's drawback is no low range and not wanting to end up with battle scars from pushing it to hard.

The Sidekick only has 53K miles. It came with an OME suspension and 235 Bighorns. It has a few dings but overall is in great shape. First order of business is to remove the side graphics and get some racks for it.

4164676590_f864992731.jpg

Last edited:

shahram

Adventurer
First order of business is to remove the side graphics...

Are you kidding me? Those graphics are like a Jedi mind trick for cops.

"You don't need to see his identification...these are not the dorks you are looking for."

You can go about your business...

compactcamping

Explorer
Hmmm, interesting perceptive, no the graphics have to go :sombrero:

Seeing that there is only a hand full of squirrels under the hood, even if I'm really flogging them, it's unlike I being going fast enough to get their attention :smiley_drive:

SRN

Adventurer
After a number of years without a 4WD and using my Subaru for off-pavement exploring, I just picked up a 1992 Suzuki Sidekick. Don’t get me wrong, the Subaru is actually pretty good off-road. The Subaru’s drawback is no low range and not wanting to end up with battle scars from pushing it to hard.

The Sidekick only has 53K miles. It came with an OME suspension and 235 Bighorns. It has a few dings but overall is in great shape. First order of business is to remove the side graphics and get some racks for it.

Sweet! I've often thought about getting a 4-door Sidekick for overlanding. Much more room than a Samurai, more power and you can mount a roof top tent on it. Congrats and welcome to the Zuk world. Keep us informed on what you are doing with it!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
For anyone that is interested in running a LWB J1 I'd recommend getting a 1993 and up - they had the 16V 1600.

chet

island Explorer
the 16V started in '92 it was only '91 that had the 4 door and 8 valve motor. The 4 door kicks are cool and very capable. I was amazed at what I could get in mine. alas it rusted out so I parted it out.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Oops, I stand corrected. Hey, it's ben a long time. :)

The rear suspensions on the Kicks worked really well.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Unimog, love your tintop.:wings:

One of these days when money starts coming in a bit more prolificly I want to get into a Sidekick to add to the Zuk collection. I figure that someday when I have kids who are old enough to drive that these will be their first cars so that I can have new project vehicles. Plus, I imagine any and all of them will tow so nicely behind my dream Sportsmobile that my future-doctor wife will buy me for being such a loving husband! Dream big, people, dream big.:victory:

v8chris

This is SWMBO's Daily driver - standard apart from some BFG patter all terrains - have done a few short trips in it round Scotland and Cumbria and it gets chucked round a few RTV trials too. Dunno if we're going to do much more to it as yet (I'm busy rebuilding my D110 and keeping my Disco 1 on the road)

Attachments

• sourleys 008s.JPG
    sourleys 008s.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 142
  • sourleys 072s.JPG
    sourleys 072s.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 115
  • sourleys 031s.JPG
    sourleys 031s.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 133

SRN

Adventurer
Man I would love a new Jimny, they are so sweet! Does anyone know if they have the same T-Case thats in a US Spec Samurai?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle