Suzuki Samurai Custom Camper Build

trackhead

Adventurer
Spent the last day and a half grinding, drilling, cutting, cussing, and smashing my knuckles trying to swap out the 20+ year old springs and put on the new springs/shackles for a 3" lift.

Looks WAY too high, but I'm told springs settle a bit, and this is without gas, passengers, water, camping stuff. The front is also a little high, but I'll solve that by mounting the tire on the front, along with a jack, and maybe eventually a winch. That should level it out. Still need to install longer shocks. Also spent all day trying to get the pitman arm off for the beefed up steering stuff I bought. Broke one pitman puller, trying again with a beefier puller friday. Hate this kind of work. I'd much rather work on my moto.

Circus vehicle. Those are 31" tires, that's all the bigger I want to go. Hopefully the springs settle a bit, and the load of everything brings it down a bit. If not, oh well.
2011-09-07_17-08-33_313-1.jpg

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Yeah, the springs will settle after a good flexxing.
Hit on the side of the pitman arm where the steering box shaft goes in with a big hammer, this will loosen it up.

trackhead

Adventurer
Yeah, the springs will settle after a good flexxing.
Hit on the side of the pitman arm where the steering box shaft goes in with a big hammer, this will loosen it up.

Thanks for the info and insight. I already broke one cheap puller that I "rented" from an auto parts store. Going to try to find a beefier one to use, then I'll get out the BFH and pound on it.

Took a break yesterday from smashing my knuckles against rusted Samurai parts. This is the best way to explore for suitable Samurai terrain for the wife/kid. In one day you can cover terrain that would take 3 days on four wheels.
DSCF0421.jpg

trackhead

Adventurer
Got the pitman arm off this morning. Rented a better tool, then did the following.

1. Tighten the tool.
2. Hit the threaded part of the tool with an 8lb maul.
3. Tighten the tool a bit more.
4. Hit it again.
5. Repeat.

Here's the stock pitman arm with the Sky steering stuff installed. It's not perfectly parallel, but it's close. Seems a drop pitman would put it too low.

Yeah, haven't cut off the u-bolts on the springs yet.
pitman.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I just left the Ubolts long on my CJ7 because I was thinking about putting on a set of Ubolt skid plates. yeah that was a mistake. I ended up bending them right off, and never did get the skids. They did, however, work flawlessly for the duration of my ownership of the jeep, and that included taking the ubolts off to put on bigger axles. I had to chop off a bit of the bent stuff to do that, but they came right off still, so that was nice!

Wow, yeah, that looks like a great road to ride on. I need to find good riding trails around Utah myself. Just picked up a KLR and need to find places to play now!

trackhead

Adventurer
Drove up the canyon behind my house. Approximately 10 miles of 8-10% grade from 5,000ft to 9,800ft. Managed to average 32mph or so, with one brief stint in second gear. Overall, the Sami ran great. The steering feels good at 55mph, brakes are good, etc, etc.

I think this is required on this forum.
2011-09-13_15-50-45_304.jpg

2011-09-13_15-50-58_465.jpg

2011-09-13_15-54-51_270.jpg

2011-09-13_15-55-08_553.jpg

Taking the little snail to our cabin for a week at the end of September for more testing. I'll finish the interior and pop up this winter.

trackhead

Adventurer
Took the little snail out on the interstate today. No wind, elevation 4,800ft, no problems holding 60mph. Probably could go 65mph as long as the winds don't face the wrong direction.

So loaded down, I expect 55mph won't be out of the question.

trackhead

Adventurer
Took the Snail out for a test run on the east side of the Wasatch.

Throwin' down a mean 35-40mph average up Big Cottonwood.
DSCF0520.jpg

Quick stop at Guardsman's to see if anything rattled off yet.
2011-09-21_14-56-59_623.jpg

Pulled The Snail off the main drag for a little stroll through the woods and fields.
DSCF0524.jpg

DSCF0523.jpg

OMG, it's another Samurai rolling over!
DSCF0522.jpg

DSCF0530.jpg

DSCF0528.jpg

DSCF0527.jpg

He was driving most of the day.
DSCF0526.jpg

Little D-bagger wanted to drive up on a rock, because he said that's what people do here.
2011-09-21_12-59-53_198.jpg

Drank some milk, turned around and went home.
DSCF0529.jpg

2011-09-20_21-01-13_199.jpg

Everything seemed to stay where it belonged. Each day will build confidence that it isn't going to self destruct. Bear Lake is next week.

trackhead

Adventurer
Looks Good in the Woods :victory: !! How's the off-camber feel?

Fine. The only weight above the height of a stock Samurai is about 8", and that's all foam and glass. The roof weighs maybe 40-50lbs, so it's not too top heavy. That said, I am a moto guy, I've never been into the off road via 4 wheels, so it's all new to me. The only 4x4 stuff I've done is endless days with chains on all 4 wheels on the old Toyota, driving up Hyalite Canyon trying to get to ice climbs.

It definitely either needs airbags or add-a-leafs on the rear, to even it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger