Suzuki samurai, zuki people help!

houndofmeath

Observer
Hey everyone, so I am the proud new owner of this handsome fella. My girlfriend and I will be doing the Trans America trail out to Denver this summer. It will be the first time doing a trip like this for the both of us. I am looking to start getting it ready for the trip and was hoping to get some advice from some people with zuki experience. I need to keep the costs down and keep the build basic, what should I be focusing on to start? Thanks a bunch!

-Rob
www.arrowswest.wordpress.com

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399753458600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399753458600.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 114
D

Deleted member 13060

Just sold a sami. Sprung over, T-Case, 33's, bumpers, winch etc.

If I had to do it over AND do an overland trip..... Maint, maint, maint. You got 63HP, it's gonna be run hard all the time. Fresh U-Joints in all 3 shafts. Synthetic oil in EVERYTHING.

When it's worry free I'd start here....
1. Mild suspension lift, spring under.
2. GOOD seats. Stock Sami seats suck.
3. Another 4.89:1 Petroworks T-Case. Stock Sami T-Case gearing makes 1st gear HI lower than 2nd gear LOW.
4. This gearing is strong and will put the overall gearing close to stock with 31" tires as HI Range isn't 1:1.
5. 30" tires. 31" MAX.
6. If funds allowed a 15 Gallon fuel tank from Petroworks.
7. If there's any cash left an ARB or a limited slip in the back. W/O power steering locking the front just makes driving a pain if the hubs ar locked.

YMMV RON

Quill

Adventurer
Nice tin top. Don't feel you need to go over the top with it. This road is about what was used in the early days crossing the country in a Model T. Set it up for your comfort. I do agree on a bigger gas tank. My Samurai always seemed to need gas at an inopportune time. I put in seats out of an Acura. I was okay without a suspension lift or bigger tires. Up to you. Remember a Sammy doesn't handle like handle like a sports car or a big SUV.

SRN

Adventurer
That thing is clean. Congratulations!

I'd go with OME springs and shocks(Cruiser Outfitters in Salt Lake can help you out with those). 4.89:1 T-case, Lockright in the rear and a 15 Gallon fuel tank and 31x10.50 AT's.Go through the motor and make sure everything is in tip-top shape. Aside from that, you're golden. A simple Samurai will go everywhere you point it.

houndofmeath

Observer
Thanks a bunch guys, definitely looking into these things right away. I'll keep this updated. With the gas tank, would jerry cans be a cheaper alternative do you think?

SRN

Adventurer
Yeah, thats a cheaper alternative, but then you have to haul that extra 5 gallons in or on the rig. If it's in the tank, thats the best place.

Riptide

Explorer
I've owned 3 Sami's, and while I like to hang stuff them as much as the next person, the fact is they are pretty dang capable in stock form. As someone said, the first priority to the freshen everything that's worn. Belts, oil, u-joints, exhaust, hoses.

Beyond that, the bigger gas tank would be a good choice. I carry a 5 gal jerry can, but I also have a heavy aftermarket bumper that carries a Hi-Lift jack and spare; alot of extra weight, really. Offset by the equally heavy front bumper with winch... it's noticeable with 66 furious horsepower.

Good tires are a must.

Driving and surviving in a Sami means driving smart, picking good lines, and preserving your rig. But you'll be surprised at her gutsiness.

Ask jeff@quadshop ; he's a Sami owner, and has done the TAT (on a bike). He should know as much as anybody what you oughta consider. He's a poster on this forum.

Make sure you post details of the trip! Many Sami owners dream of doing this, at least I do. I dream of building my fourth Sami (a tintop) so that my brother and I could do the trip in a pair of Sami's...

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I've got a Sidekick and WISH Petroworks made a larger tank for it. I can get about 200 miles if I run it on fumes.

I also have a Lockright in the rear. I run a 235/75/15 tire (roughly 29") with a 2" lift and it goes just about anywhere. I also have a winch and bumper on mine (Shrockworks and Warn, respectively).

When I first got my Suzuki, people kept telling me, "You'll be amazed at where you can go with two inches of lift, a good set of tires, and a Lockright." I agree wholeheartedly.

Nice rig. Welcome to the cult. :D

Andy

Quill

Adventurer
I have bought from Low Range Off Road. They are an okay bunch. Two things I forgot to mention is take care off the "clicky starter problem" and the sloppy shifter problem on manual transmissions. Even if you don't have these problems, I would fix them.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Just make sure all the maintenance is up to date. I agree with the synthetic in everything suggestion above. It's a small engined vehicle. Once you load it up it's going to be under load for the entire trip. Not that you have VVT, but I had issues with regular oil thinning out way too much and screwing with my VVT when I was towing or driving it hard off road. Switching to synthetic solved all those problems. Just a regular small engine problem. Smaller oil capacity and an engine that's going to be under way more than stress than usual means you need some quality oil that won't thin out when it counts.

I would also upgrade the shocks and seats. If you're larger than 5' tall, the stock sami seats just don't work. If you have any $$ leftover do some "luxury" items like a small lift and a locker.

Toyman01

Adventurer
Seats are a definite must, the factory seats are designed for 70# children. I'm using seats out of a Neon.

I'm sitting spring over axle, on YJ springs and 33" tires. Don't go that big. I'm seriously considering stepping down to a 29 or 30 inch tire and spring under axle. My extra 5 gallons is in a Jerry can on the back rack with the jack and spare. It gets the job done and pushes my range out close to 275 miles. It would be nice to mount a tool box were the can is, but I'm cheap.

Be careful of weight. It's easy to load everything including the kitchen sink. Think like the dual sport crowd. They haul everything on a motorcycle.

The TAT is on my bucket list, but it will have to wait a couple of years. Make sure you do a trip report, with lots of pictures, for the rest of us.

houndofmeath

Observer
Thanks a bunch guys, already had some trouble with the starter and a new one is coming in tomorrow (oof) Working on some comfort stuff to fit The dogs, my girlfriend and I. Thinking a platform in the back that can keep storage underneath and dogs on top. I've seen a couple vehicles with this on these threads. What size/brand/etc for tires do you think? Stock size? Either way absolute gonna keep a journal on this. My girlfriend and I have a blog based around the entire trip, and I have publisher to work with that I am going to do a photographic journal with based around traveling on the TAT in the sammy. Check it www.arrowswest.wordpress.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998