Suzuki samurai, zuki people help!

Quill

Adventurer
No problem. I skipped it and went to a starter button but when I started driving there were still old cars and trucks sold with a starter button. I figured with the top off it would hard for someone to steal it. I will put one on my next Jeep, but it will be a floor button. Still this is not something you want to mess with on a trip. Believe me I would change the shift bushings and bolts if you have a manual transmission. Parts are cheap. Mine was fine then one day it was difficult to shift. This is not something you want when you have to shift fast. http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/suzuki/samurai/clutch-tranny/sloppy-shifter-fix-bushings-and-bolts.html I would also make sure the clutch and brakes, especially the E brake so there is no failures. The Sammy engine doesn't hold the best on a hill in first or reverse.

houndofmeath

Observer
oof just went through what I think is a clutch failure while driving it today. Suddenly died when I engaged the clutch to stop at a red light and refused to start again (the clicky starter kit still has not arrived in the mail) once we were able to bump start the sami it died again at another light and did the same. Had to have a friend drag me behind his tacoma just to get home. Any one have any experience with this? Honestly manual is entirely new to me and I'm still learning.

-Rob
www.arrowswest.com

SRN

Adventurer
Doesn't sound like a clutch.
Are you getting spark? Pull the wire off the number one cylinder and hold it to ground (bolt on the exhaust manifold or something). Have your buddy try to start it, if you're not getting spark out the end of the cable, then you've got something wrong with the ignition system. Either Bad coil, distributor, cap/rotor, or wires. If you are getting spark, check to make sure you are getting fuel down the carb. But if it will pop start, my bet is something with the ignition system.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As the others have mentioned..the Sami is incredibly capable in stock form. I've only done a calmini 2.5 lift, lock rite rear locker and BFG AT's and it's done Moab three times, Rocky Mountains a dozen times, gulf and Florida coastline half a dozen time and the Ozarks more times then I can count (over 150,000 miles on original engine and drivetrain). It's spent most of its life either towed behind an RV to where we wheeled or off roading. It now is our mountain runabout.

Best of luck with your build and travels!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 41

houndofmeath

Observer
Thanks so much! I actually just started following your tool company. We're moving out to colorado after the trip so maybe we'll be seeing eachother around at some point. Love your samurai that thing is rad.

Singlespeed92

Observer
I've never had a Sammi,ALWAYS liked em,but wanted to wish you safe and FUN journeys in it,looking forward to reading/seeing all about it (the TAT is on my short lists of "wants to do") :D

houndofmeath

Observer
So I've been doing what I can to get the Sami ready in my spare time. Rust stopping and repair, optima red top installed. All synthetic oils, starter fix, alternator swapped, installed some have insulation since it was missing the header (thing was like a toaster), brakes bled, installing a gas can somewhere. I have the smittybilt locking holder. Just need to figure where to attach it. I was going to build an aluminum roof rack but timing is making that a difficult project, how do any of you feel about cargo carrier or cargo bags? Also working on building a platform in the back for dogs on top and stuff underneath. Any of you done this? How have you mounted it?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks so much! I actually just started following your tool company. We're moving out to colorado after the trip so maybe we'll be seeing eachother around at some point. Love your samurai that thing is rad.

Thanks!

Btw, if you haven't swapped out new plug wires you may consider it. When I first got mine it had the OEM wires and after a while it would sputter and run horribly. I changed all the usual parts and only figured out that the plug wires were workout when I lifted the hood one night and it looked like a firework show due to all the sparking coming through wiring insulation. Ran like a champ after new wires.

Got any pics of your build?

Best of luck on your move!

houndofmeath

Observer
5u2emuma.jpg

Little dude is getting there.

ditchdoctor

Here's my new setup, it's more of a rock crawler but a good setup never the less. I'd call Trail Tough in Medford OR.

"Trail Tough" parts- bushwhacker fender flares, doetsch tech shocks, two-low kit, drive line spacer, SJ 410 backing plate. Wheel spacers( 1 1/4"), front steering stabilizer, unbreakable transmission mount, unbreakable motor mounts, rear disconnect, solid transfer case mounts, mighty kong 4.9:1 gears. Rear mini-spool front lock-right locker, ford front shock towers, front Bonz-eye springs w/ missing link and rear rancho springs.
Sky off-road parts- crossover steering kit, wiper brace kit and axle truss.
Zuks Offroad parts- my-side 2cv carb kit w/ Intake/ 44mm carb.
Other parts- Dodge Neon seats, on-board air compresser, 3000lb winch, led rock lights in the wheel wells, custom rock sliders, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper with rear tire swing out and gas can mount, 31x10.5 bfg mud terrains mounted on black steel wheels, and a CB.

uru6eqyj.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998