Swapped my 80 for a JK....

JPK

Explorer
JKOwners.com is also a great place for info.

I second staying away from JK-Forum, too much censorship, especially concerning lifts, equipment, etc, offerred by non-forum-sponsor, non-forum-paying vendors.

JPK

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Nope, nothing like that, but

Are you saying the JK is a gutless wonder and he should have waited a year?:bike_rider:

It's notta gutless wonder and waiting for a new model is strictly personal !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

KE5QVT

Observer
Updates

So... I couldnt wait after seeing the look of the flat fender JKU passing me up so I broke down and started the build...
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Put a mile marker 9500 inside of the stubby front
IMG_0045.jpg

Put the (pistola safe) under my seat
underseatstorage.jpg

and the box in the rear... this is a stock photo, I tried to snap one of the box in the jeep but you just couldnt really see what I had going on...
rearstorage.jpg

Then installed a padded console cover, wish it went forward more. Are there pads for the door arm rest. I have yet to find a comfy spot to rest my elmo's
consolepad.jpg

I ordered my laptop mount...hope it gets here this weekend.. I will keep yall posted.

KE5QVT

Observer
Update week 3

Since my JKU is not just my daily driver but also my office and I live out of it on a daily basis I needed to install a mount for my laptop. Just as in my old 80, I use my laptop for business daily, but offroad i use it for navigation and mapping and just aother utility to use. I know most of you guys probably wouldnt want a mount, but here is the install.

RAM MOUNTS Jeep Wrangler kit
Double Swing Arm with Plate RAM-VB-110-1U
Tele-Pole 8 inch Long Male Tube RAM-VP-TTM8U
Tele-Pole 18 inch Long Female Base RAM-VP-TBF18U
Jeep Wrangler Vehicle Mount Base RAM-VB-170
I opted not to get the actual laptop tray, I wanted to build my own using a desktop docking station so I get the use of the usb's and a charger

The kit arrived and looked like this:
IMG_0507.jpg

the fist step was to put together the internal locking sleeve, just like a bicycle front handle bar yoke. Making sure you leave about 1/4" of bolt out the bottom of the lock nut
IMG_0506.jpg

Then it slides into the 8" pipe
IMG_0505.jpg

Then putting the swingarm together was just a matter of making sure you get the washer/bearing/washer nut in the right order and hand tighten
IMG_0504.jpg

So that left me a complete swingarm/pole setup. Next was to go install the floor bracket. Very easy and well built. All I had to do is remove the front two bolts from the seat
IMG_0502.jpg

and then bolt the bracket back down into the same holes.
IMG_0056.jpg

next came bolting the pole to the floor bracket and there it was....
IMG_0501.jpg

The included 18" upright was WAY to tall for a jeep, so I chopped it down to about 8" and made my tray using 1/4" plywood and mounting a docking station to it. it attaches to the swing arm with a mounting ball "included with the swingarm" and allows for tilt (multi-axis) and the swing arm allows for side to side and up and down adjustment. A couple of turns on the swingarm and either the whole swing arm and computer come out or just the computer tray... either way, if you dont want it in there it is EASY removal without unbolting everything
IMG_0057.jpg

And there you go... EASY install, cost about 170.00 total (not including the docking station)

I NEED TO CLEAN UP ALL MY WIRES GOING EVERYWHERE....

next..... EVAP relocation, side mirror relocation and front windshield hinge light brackets (to be used for antenna) are all on the way....

KE5QVT

Observer
UPDATE WEEK 3 cont....

So, I got my hinge mounts in and its time to do the radios installation. I have a CB for most trail comm, a 2m/70cm FT-8900 for when there are HAM's around and I want a clear'er conversation, and finally I wanted to install an APRS system to track my location online.

Requirements:
A clean install and didnt want any holes in my tub,
A way of running power into the cab with as few wires as possibe (DC distribution)
As Hidden a system as possible

Products:
Blue Sea Systems 12 gang block
Cobra 75WX-ST
Yaesu FT-8900
Rugged Ridge Hinge Light Mounts
Larson dual band antenna
CB Antenna

First step installation of the hinge brackets and antenna mounts
Misc032.jpg

Misc030.jpg

Misc029.jpg

Installed the APRS GPS under the lid of the E-Compass and on top of the Radio
Misc008.jpg

Location of the Yaesu
Misc015.jpg

Location of the Yaesu head unit
Misc025.jpg

Outside of Vehicle with antenna mounted and running
Misc027.jpg

I am thinking of getting a duplexer for the CB and APRS so that I can run a skinny dual band antenna like the Larson. That way it wont be as obtrusive as the CB antenna. As you can see from the photo, you CANT even really see the dual band antenna on the other A-Post...
Im not sure though how it would work out. All of the numbers show that it would so I guess im just gonna try and see. Has any one ever done that?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
How much did that stinger bumper take away from your approach angle? Looks like both rigs are about the same size anyway.

KE5QVT

Observer
How much did that stinger bumper take away from your approach angle? Looks like both rigs are about the same size anyway.

I havent measured it.... I was REALLY suprised when I got it.:oops: Didnt think it would stick out THAT far. Now, that its on, it's too much of a pain to send back for the smaller one. So.... I will either let it grow on me or have it cut down and something more like I had on my 80 put in its place. From what I have eyeballed, I dont think it will affect the angle, its about on the same line, but I will have to measure

KE5QVT

Observer
So I measured my approach and departure angles today... I don't know what stock is but with my stinger in front I have a 45 and hit bumper before stinger and a 37 rear hitting the hitch. Is that good or bad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78