Sway bar on an fg

GR8ADV

Explorer
According to my vin on my 2004 fg639 it does not come fitted with an anti sway bar in the rear. Anyone adapted one?

Thanks

yabanja

Explorer
As far as I know no one has adopted one yet. I think Timbren Bump stops are generally considered a viable alternative while retaining articulation.

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
This may or may not be of any use, but here is the sway bar setup on an FG84 (original ATW Global Warrior).
The reason I say it may not be useful is because this truck was converted from leaf springs to a 5 link coil suspension with a Watts Link.
sway bar.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
First decide if you need one.... Sway bars stop articulation, they promote flatter cornering at speed..... What are yer goals??

And have you looked to see if anyone already fitted one??
Here is a quick and exceeding simple and interesting video regarding the topic. Putting aside the specifics of his vehicle, the interaction between front and rear is worth noting and not always intuitive.

Everyday is a school day for me.

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
I am just curious.

I have great trust and respect for Mitsubishi design and engineering. For example, we have a box mounted per the mitsu build specs, no fancy base plate or springs or what ever, just u-bolted to the frame per mitsu build sheet. It has worked flawlessly for nearly 200k miles. Many of those miles off pavement. Hence, when they didn't put a sway bar on the 4x4 I expect it is for a reason; just curious as to why and if anyone had ever done it.

I do kind of shake my head when people add length, weld the frame to stiffen etc, and think it’s ok. It is as if they think that Mitsubishi (and other manufacturers ) randomly created their vehicles in an engineering vacuum. But that is a whole different thread and I don’t want to hijack my own stuff lol 😂

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Here is a quick and exceeding simple and interesting video regarding the topic.
Video? What video?

I have great trust and respect for Mitsubishi design and engineering.
Mmmmmm... sometimes I have questioned that logic.
As much as these large companies normally have decent R&D departments, they also have accountants who seem to be focused on how much something will cost the company.
If an individual adds a component to their vehicle, that is a cost they bear themself. If a company that makes tens of thousands (or more) of a product, that can affect how competitive they are in the market, as someone has to cover that cost. Sometimes it just comes down to dollars.

Without digressing too far off track... there is a bush on the gate selector shaft in the gearbox that I consider to be an engineering shortcut.
It is a split white metal bush that is about 10mm long. This bush has to support a 70mm long shaft, which it does not do well.
I "re-engineered" the plate the bush goes into and manufactured a longer phosphor bronze bush replacement. That modification has made a very noticeable difference in how the change between 3rd and 4th gear occurs.
Why didn't Fuso use the same size/style bush as I did? I can only assume that it would have cost a few cents more, so they chose the cheaper split bush option.
It's often a numbers game, not a best solution decision, that companies make with their products.

I can be pretty confident in saying that the way we use the Fuso 4x4 truck is not the same as the Fuso engineers envisaged it being used.
As far as I can tell, this truck was designed to be used as a rural fire truck base, to work in farmer's paddocks and for the northern hemisphere, for snow clearing use, where speed/stability on the road is not a major contributing design factor.
A sway bar is not all that functional at lower speeds, hence one not being standard equipment on these trucks.

My 2c worth...

GR8ADV

Explorer
Video? What video?

As much as these large companies normally have decent R&D departments, they also have accountants who seem to be focused on how much something will cost the company.
If an individual adds a component to their vehicle, that is a cost they bear themself. If a company that makes tens of thousands (or more) of a product, that can affect how competitive they are in the market, as someone has to cover that cost. Sometimes it just comes down to dollars.

Without digressing too far off track... there is a bush on the gate selector shaft in the gearbox that I consider to be an engineering shortcut.
It is a split white metal bush that is about 10mm long. This bush has to support a 70mm long shaft, which it does not do well.
I "re-engineered" the plate the bush goes into and manufactured a longer phosphor bronze bush replacement. That modification has made a very noticeable difference in how the change between 3rd and 4th gear occurs.
Why didn't Fuso use the same size/style bush as I did? I can only assume that it would have cost a few cents more, so they chose the cheaper split bush option.
It's often a numbers game, not a best solution decision, that companies make with their products.

I can be pretty confident in saying that the way we use the Fuso 4x4 truck is not the same as the Fuso engineers envisaged it being used.
As far as I can tell, this truck was designed to be used as a rural fire truck base, to work in farmer's paddocks and for the northern hemisphere, for snow clearing use, where speed/stability on the road is not a major contributing design factor.
A sway bar is not all that functional at lower speeds, hence one not being standard equipment on these trucks.

My 2c worth...
Oops Here it is and added to the post

GR8ADV

Explorer
Don’t we all

So do small companies. In fact so does everyone who makes something to sell.

Well there you go. The entire build design, computer analysis, qc and construction of the whole vehicle is apparently judged by a bushing. I refer you to a space shuttle incident and a 10 cent O ring. NASA apparently doesn’t know what they are doing either. Idiots

You must have spent a bunch of time at the lunch table with FUSO engineers to pick up so ‘confidently’ on exactly what the truck was built for. Did it come new with rakes to clean out the paddocks? Idk I bought mine used.

Agreed it is not a Ferrari, but except for big American highways it is fine. Not sure a rural fire truck loaded with water driving on a rural road is much different that me heading to the Arctic circle with a camper. But what do I know.
A sway bar is not all that functional at lower speeds,
What??

My sarcasm is free on Tuesday’s.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Mines free all week.

Sway bars are for flat cornering in race cars. It applies to everything else in varying degrees but as speed and g-forces decrease sway bars eventually become a detriment. This topic should make us ask why not wings....

View attachment 786910
That is the neutral magic of the FUSO. At its speed and mobility it can create neither downforce or lift. I am pretty sure, one could say I was confident, it was specifically designed that way for a reason…

That said, how cool would they look!!! Talk of the next expo.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In my experience, the gear change from 3rd to 4th, or 4th to 3rd, is not all that great on any FG Fuso that I have driven.
My point was that a simple change to a bush in the gearbox could significantly improve that, but the decision was obviously made that an excessive amount of free play in that linkage did not matter.
To say that I base my assessment of Fusos on that single example is a bit of a stretch, but everyone is entitled to their opinions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears