swing out tire carrier ideas please

roamingaz

Explorer
I am specificly looking for a swing out tire carrier that holds 2 fuel cans down low, so far I can only find the ones with the fuel cans up high by the tire.

CoronaKJ

Adventurer
Kind of funny you posted this. I am looking for the same thing for my 95yj and was at 4wheel parts (today) near where I lived and could not find anything. I am probably looking for custom/homemade job unless you have better luck. i will continue looking and pot up if I see anything that works.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Can you clarify? Is this for the 1990 Toyota or a 98 TJ?

Duh - forget I asked that. This is in the Jeep section!

Check OR Fab.

85207-1LG.jpg

Last edited:

CoronaKJ

Adventurer
Mountain Pete - Not that this is my thread but that is why I love this forum, so much info and resources in one spot. Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for!

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I can't say that I'm all that fond of mounting to that much cantilevered weight to sheet metal. It would be better to find one that uses a bumper as it's base.

I can't say that I'm all that fond of mounting to that much cantilevered weight to sheet metal. It would be better to find one that uses a bumper as it's base.

I agree. And with those kinds of physics, you have to choose the lesser of two evils. Either have the gas can a little higher, concerning the COG, or stick the spare tire out farther from the body, concerning stress to the body and suspension. It's a matter of what you feel is more important, and you aren't wrong either way. I use a Garvin Wilderness bumper/carrier system, which holds the can a little higher than preferred, but oh-well.

Wish I had more to suggest and info to provide, but I've had a few and should probably zip-it before I get myself in to trouble on here.

Waytec

Adventurer
A friend of mine has a custom built swing out buy he used that OR Fab style as the main design and he is not all that impressed with it. He is finding because the wheel is out so far that the is putting more weight on the back making him nose up. He also hits it regularly when we are off roading in the mountains. He now redesigning it so the wheel is closer to the body and the jerry cans are on the out side. He is also reinforcing he tub just to be safe.

I would suggest find things that you want on it and start going to custom shops. I find they are about the same as purchasing one maybe a bit more and you get exactly what you want.

Waytec

Adventurer
This is what I have. I picked up a damaged Garven industries bumper and swing out for about $150 and then repaired and modified the mounting system to make it stronger. I will be modifying it to take 2 jerry cans in the future.
swingtankskid015-1.jpg

chuck45

Observer
I am specificly looking for a swing out tire carrier that holds 2 fuel cans down low, so far I can only find the ones with the fuel cans up high by the tire.

I have a RockHard rear bumper on my JK and I built a custom tire carrier that carries two gas cans as low as is practical. It is also set up to carry a PullPal, 60" High Lift and shovel. If you'd like I'll try to take a few pics of it to post.

roamingaz

Explorer
I have a RockHard rear bumper on my JK and I built a custom tire carrier that carries two gas cans as low as is practical. It is also set up to carry a PullPal, 60" High Lift and shovel. If you'd like I'll try to take a few pics of it to post.

yes pics would be great!
I have been trying to figure out where I am going to put my pull pal and hi lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12