Swiss army overland trailer

greentruck

Adventurer
I don't know about availability in Guatemala, but in the US, it's cheaper to buy an entire axle with brakes already mounted than it is to buy the parts and modify/install. Your best bet in Guatemala, if you can find one, would be to find the axle under another trailer or at a junkyard and swap it in.

I eventually want to do this to my M101 CDN. A 3,500 lb axle with 10" Dexter electric brakes is in the ~$300 range new in the US.

karoja

Adventurer
I can not find a new axle down here, and finding one in a junkyard will be almost impossible. I need to bring the parts form the US. Thanks,

greentruck

Adventurer
I've had some minor dealings with Southwest Trailer previously.
http://www.trailerpart.com/

The axle I was looking at for my M101 was this 3,500 lb:
http://www.trailerpart.com/35ktraileraxle.htm

Price looks even better than I remember, but this is for an axle without a manual parking brake, so that probably accounts for the difference.

I like to think that my wheel chocks are a back-up for my parking brake and that is nice to have in the mountains.

Crucial thing will be payment arrangements and freight for you, but the pricing seems good to me.

I think this axle uses the Series 84 hub assembly, which is the same bearings, etc as spec on the M101 already. You can get it in a range of hubs to suit the wheels you prefer.

karoja

Adventurer
Pacaya Volcanoe

Greentruck, thanks for your reply. Southwest Trailes does not ship to freight forwarders, and they do not even bother to tell you they unles you call for your order that never shows. Terrible service.

Here a picture of our outing last weekend at the Pacaya Volcanoe, with the road train. Thats my son (the blond) with his buddies, who stayed in the tent:

712concarreton.jpg

greentruck

Adventurer
Karl,
Yeah, trying to call Southwest is pretty hopeless. I found that buying through Amazon was the best way to deal with them. They are great, once you get past the impediments they put in the way of consumers...

Sorry that wasn't much help, as I guess Amazon is not the place to buy an axle:drool:

BTW, great pic. I've heard about that volcano from a friend. Didn't it have some recent eruptions? Or was that another volcano?

karoja

Adventurer
This has been quite active, but I went with a vulcanologist who assured us it was quite safe. And yes, Amazon or E-bay will be the way to go, did also figure that out! Again, thanks for your input.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Karoja,
Anti serum is part of your first aid kit ?
Isn't that outrageously expensive and needs to be typed to the snake in question ?
Saw a documentary once that said that many people who make it to clinics in out lying areas of the world (where most bites happen obviously) usually are not helped as the rural clinics cannot afford the anti venom.

karoja

Adventurer
Maryland 110, we carry polivalent (covers most tropical snakes venoms) snake serum, runs for about US$89 a dose, and has a shelf life of around 7 years. As you well say, it is unfortunate that due to the price many in-country clinics do not have it. Due to this, I have always had it on hand to donate while working in-contry, and at my marina (www.monkeybaymarina.com), for whoever shows up in need. As a matter of fact, we already saved one kids life with it. Kind of made my day.

womacje

Adventurer
Great rigs! I have spoken with the man who owns ABC trailer parts. Really nice guy, great prices and may be willing to work with someone in your situation, ie freight forwarder. Give him a call or an email. I haven't purchased from him, but he did spend about 45mins on the phone with me trying to figure out hubs for my M416.

http://abctrailerparts.com/

greentruck

Adventurer
Jeremy,
Thanks for the tip. Always glad to talk to a human who wants to help me solve my problems!

We're headed out with the trailer for a week of testing in Michigan's UP. Depended on how things go, I'll know after that whether a trailer with a braked axle is a high priority or a little less of a priority. It's definitely full:Wow1:

Either case, I'll keep ABC in my links, as I'll want it sooner or later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998