Switching my life to "not Jeans". Can I get some recomendations for good NON JEANS

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I bought a few pair of these this Summer, two pair in ripstop 65/35 and one in5.5 Oz moisture-wicking nylon. They are Tru-Spec 24/7 Eclipse Pants. So far I really like them. Careful shopping will find them well under $50 bucks.

2406.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
not a deciding factor for me. and not worth the exta 40 bucks I would have to pay.

They may be similar but Carharts hold up untill they are see thru. I had a pair washed so many times they were white. The quilted liner on their insulated stuff is also better. The others shed threads and even though you would sware it's the same stuff it's not. Every time you slide into a knock off jacket your thumb catches and breaks another thread. The others fall apart and get thin but the Carharts just get softer. The next level up from them is Filson. When I spend over Goodwill or Walmart pricing that's the best bang for the buck because the warrenty is forever. My coveralls are Carharts but the trick is to buy a size you can squat and roll around in. Stretch you arms while you squat and buy a bigger tall size. Next spend about 30 bucks at a seamstress and have her take up the slop. Think about it. Tailor fit insulated Carheart coveralls that you can actually move in. Come on winter!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Ok, But I am indoors when working. But a set of insulated pants would be awesome for fall work around the house and camps.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Well so far with an assortment of pants I'm leaning towards the Carharrts. Need to get a winter in before I make my final decision.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Well so far with an assortment of pants I'm leaning towards the Carharrts. Need to get a winter in before I make my final decision.

I went Carhatt as well....if you are an Amazon prime member they have free returns.....I ordered up several styles, different sizes and found a pair I like..the others I sent back. Better than going to the store.

These worked the best for me..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARXBAYU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I wear a 36x36 or 38x36, depending on brand.
Some of the Duluth Trading Company pants actually run long; their jeans are too long for me and some of the work pants.
The Piragis Camping Pant also runs long and a bit large around the belly: http://www.piragis.com/boundarywaterspants.html?gclid=CMfXhJj7mb4CFQqIfgod53QA7w Great lightweight pant.

Carhartt doesn't fit me well; it's more for buttless guys...

Cabelas used to have a Trailhiker Stretch pant that was very good. Traveled well, didn't wrinkle, etc. But I don't see it on their site anymore. Their Trailhiker II isn't as good since it's a stiff cotton, runs baggy, and wrinkles easily.

Most of these yuppie techie pants don't come in 36" lengths and cost too dang much...

Okay now that the seasons are changing let's talk winter/insulated pants for us long-legged folks.

I like my Mountain Khaki pants for lightweight stuff (good warm weather hiking pants), and to my surprise I really really dig the pair of Wrangler Riggs Ranger pants (surprised because they are cheap and, well, Wrangler). Proppers are also good and cheap. (I like the Propper and the Riggs over my 5.11s)

So what about tech / insulated / water resistant in 36" long? There are plenty of cool tech pants over there, but apparently only for midgets (inseam of 32" or less). :)

java

Expedition Leader
Okay now that the seasons are changing let's talk winter/insulated pants for us long-legged folks.

I like my Mountain Khaki pants for lightweight stuff (good warm weather hiking pants), and to my surprise I really really dig the pair of Wrangler Riggs Ranger pants (surprised because they are cheap and, well, Wrangler). Proppers are also good and cheap. (I like the Propper and the Riggs over my 5.11s)

So what about tech / insulated / water resistant in 36" long? There are plenty of cool tech pants over there, but apparently only for midgets (inseam of 32" or less). :)

For cold, you really cant beat the Carhartt flannel lined ones. They are WARM!

Gearspoke

Adventurer
Either Marmot Lobo's Convertible Pants or Northface Paramount 2 pants are wonderful. They breath perfectly they have zip off bottoms, and they are comfy. Definitely test around, and remember a nice pair of pants that are weather proof are worth each and every penny.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Either Marmot Lobo's Convertible Pants or Northface Paramount 2 pants are wonderful. They breath perfectly they have zip off bottoms, and they are comfy. Definitely test around, and remember a nice pair of pants that are weather proof are worth each and every penny.

Hmm, I'm only finding Women's Marmot Lobo pants and the Northface Paramount pants only go to a 34" inseam. (I'm also not a big fan of letter sizing in pants, I'd rather buy waist sized)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hmm, I'm only finding Women's Marmot Lobo pants and the Northface Paramount pants only go to a 34" inseam. (I'm also not a big fan of letter sizing in pants, I'd rather buy waist sized)
The old Paramount went to 36"; the new ones don't. Didn't sell enough.
The old ones fit great, btw. But very very light and "trim fit".

Gearspoke

Adventurer
The old Paramount went to 36"; the new ones don't. Didn't sell enough.
The old ones fit great, btw. But very very light and "trim fit".

Dont get me wrong, these are pants you wear in the summer, have the pants for those chilly mornings but as the sun comes up and gets hot then unzip. :) I am definitely not a fan of hiking in winter, but this year all that will change. I will be for the first time trying snowshoeing, which means I need to find winter pants to hike in, Ones that will keep my comfy and warm but not too toasty to a point of want to not go any further. Do you have any tips as to which pants to buy? I have ski pants, but they are not really meant to walk, hike in long distances. They can be a bit difficult to move around sometimes.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I dress in layers for winter.
Base layer is a wicking layer that's fairly close to the skin. Depends on activity level.
Cabelas has an assortment of insulative layers. Duluth has some serious stuff too (I have a Superior Jacket for cold days)

Be prepared to change clothes though. Sweat moistened clothing in the winter can get you dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle