Syncronauts, what are the biggest concerns when buying??

Jb1rd

Explorer
Found an 86, looks promising, going to make the drive this weekend to check it out. What are the biggest things to look for. I have had a regular westy but no experience with a syncro. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
If its rust free and straight ....then everything else can be sorted out
Having a rear locker is a plus....

stclair

Adventurer
If its rust free and straight ....then everything else can be sorted out
Having a rear locker is a plus....

Agreed. Also, make sure all of the "Syncro" type gear is even in place. I found one was missing most of it. Or...that it was an original Syncro, and not a conversion. Not saying that's no good, but should not be the same price. Ours was REALLY clean underneath, and pretty much rust free. Look West my friend!

sojournfocus

You are going to be looking at all the same things as you would a regular 2x4 van, with a few exceptions. The VC's should be checked as well as lockers if they are in place. Look for vans which already have some of the expensive upgrades done if possible, especially engine conversions (if you are into that), big brakes (if looking for a camper) and suspension. Everything else is pretty easy to work on, save front hubs.. they are made of unicorn tears and can be very difficult to find. Luckily, they rarely blow out, especially if you are good with keeping up with the wheel bearings.

Like any "old van" there will be gremlins to sort out, but everything is workable and most parts are available through a surplus of aftermarket dealers.
One thing that is very true with Syncros is that you often get what you pay for. Most of the "amazing finds" have been long found and there are a number of overpriced rust buckets out there to be had.

Best of luck with your hunt! I love mine (and its for sale).

sojournfocus

Just saying...

not a Syncro :)

I think most people choose the VW Vanagons / Syncros over other vans due to their unsurpassed internal layout and usability. Not to discredit the Delicas as being fantastic vehicles, but they don't come close in that category. I have had 6 people in my van on a cold rainy night in Indian Creek, comfortably watching a movie & drinking beers :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online