T-belt interval, Gen 3?

Skidmarkart

Observer
Can anyone advise the timing belt interval on a Gen3? Mine didn't come with a manual, and I think I am probably due. I just don't want to be over-due.

TIA.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Manual says to be done at 105,000 miles for a 2001-2006 Montero. Also have them replace the water pump and drive (serpentine belt) since they have to take those off anyway. Most places near me quoted about $500 for just timing belt. $700 or so for everything.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Most rubber timing belts from what i've seen have an ~60-100k interval. Earlier ones were 60K and later ones are 100k for the most part. On my 96, I can inspect the belt by unbolting and slightly prying up the timing belt covers. It may be the same kind of thing for the gen III's. IMHO, if it's cracking at all, then it's passed the time for replacement.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Most rubber timing belts from what i've seen have an ~60-100k interval. Earlier ones were 60K and later ones are 100k for the most part. On my 96, I can inspect the belt by unbolting and slightly prying up the timing belt covers. It may be the same kind of thing for the gen III's. IMHO, if it's cracking at all, then it's passed the time for replacement.

So if the rubber is still 100% like new do you still replace it if mileage alone tells you to?

plh

Explorer
So if the rubber is still 100% like new do you still replace it if mileage alone tells you to?

Yes, interference engine. I had mine done on the 2005 @ 97K about a year ago by the Mitsu dealer, including tensioners, waterpump etc was $1260. I'd say $700 with labor is a deal.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Yes, interference engine. I had mine done on the 2005 @ 97K about a year ago by the Mitsu dealer, including tensioners, waterpump etc was $1260. I'd say $700 with labor is a deal.

The Mitsu dealer here quoted $1400 for all of that. $700 was a local shop. Have not had it done yet.

Skidmarkart

Observer
Thanks for the replies all - and sorry for the delayed response. Life after kids = take anticipated amount of time/beer and triple it.

Hmmm... that leaves me in a conundrum.

SO, I have a Gen 3. Pretty well kept I got it with like 103k. Everything works well. Had a new alternator and serpentine belt last year. Bought it from a small town dealer nearby. Was super friendly, seemed honest, no damage on the truck, seemed to be well kept. Said he was certain the PO had replaced the t-belt (the guy lived down the road and he was selling on consignment, offered to call him but I wasn't worried at the time). I am at 160K now. Everything runs great, but I don't know the exact mileage on the first replacement. I love the Monty, and would happily drive it for another 100k. I figured that if it was 80-90k, I was getting pretty close to replacement time. With an interval that big, I am tempted to just replace it and that let that be the last t-belt job. Better than taking a chance with an interference engine right? I'll have to get it sooner or later. My mechanic quotes $1K for the full t-belt service, with warranted work (which they will honor, the did the serpentine and alternator, and the belt was bad - or poorly installed - in any case, they fixed it with a new pulley and belt for free). I am wrong to go ahead and get this done?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies all - and sorry for the delayed response. Life after kids = take anticipated amount of time/beer and triple it.

Hmmm... that leaves me in a conundrum.

SO, I have a Gen 3. Pretty well kept I got it with like 103k. Everything works well. Had a new alternator and serpentine belt last year. Bought it from a small town dealer nearby. Was super friendly, seemed honest, no damage on the truck, seemed to be well kept. Said he was certain the PO had replaced the t-belt (the guy lived down the road and he was selling on consignment, offered to call him but I wasn't worried at the time). I am at 160K now. Everything runs great, but I don't know the exact mileage on the first replacement. I love the Monty, and would happily drive it for another 100k. I figured that if it was 80-90k, I was getting pretty close to replacement time. With an interval that big, I am tempted to just replace it and that let that be the last t-belt job. Better than taking a chance with an interference engine right? I'll have to get it sooner or later. My mechanic quotes $1K for the full t-belt service, with warranted work (which they will honor, the did the serpentine and alternator, and the belt was bad - or poorly installed - in any case, they fixed it with a new pulley and belt for free). I am wrong to go ahead and get this done?

My local mitsu dealer quoted me $960 to do the belt and water pump, but I prefer to do things myself when possible. I think you should go ahead and get it done given the fact that you aren't certain when it was actually changed last.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I think you should go ahead and get it done given the fact that you aren't certain when it was actually changed last.
What he said. :) Also ask the mechanic to see if he can access the belt enough to view its condition to make a better decision since this isn't a minor maintenance item.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
Rockauto sells a dayco t belt kit including a water pump, tensioner, etc for roughly $120. After using dayco products for quite some time, I made the order and did it myself @ 160,000 km. I've put 30,000 km on it since. No problems.

Skidmarkart

Observer
Wish I could say that I felt up to trying it myself, but anything that could screw up the engine is just too dangerous for my cojones right now. Maybe the next change I'll try it. Ishould have about 250k miles by then, and if I ruin it, well, it will not be the end of the world ;).

She's off to my mechanic as of this morning.

He's probably looking at a new bass-boat this afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears