Tablet or Garmin, what's your poison?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Speaking strictly about Android phones and tablets. All phones have built in GPS. Cell connection is NOT required for you to know your own location.....
Thanks..... had wondered about if what I had read was off when I last searched this. Wondered cause sometimes I loose my cell signal yet my Waze (that uses Google Maps in its base programing) would still tell me where I was. I just figured it was approximating on some formula based on where it went dead and how long I'd been traveling planned route. Haven't used maps off road. Always traveled with a knowledgable Trail leader up front of the group.

mjac

Adventurer
Many of you here speak of highly of Garmin GPS. Please school me on which Garmin models you are using?
I have many, many motorcycle road miles under my butt with Garmin Zumos aboard because they are smallish and waterproof. Mapsource and nowadays BaseCamp (damnit) are/were the route making tool of choice for paved roads. Many of the endurance rallys I participated in would provide the bonus locations in gpx format days before the event and one could route as they saw fit for multiday challenges.
As I find myself slowly returning to offloading (and retiring the bikes) the Zumos are ill suited because of the inability to import trail/topomaps to them. I have mounted a 7" 32gb Nexus tablet running Gaia which does show me the way but I miss the ability to actually route.

Any suggestions?

IBA 433

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Many of you here speak of highly of Garmin GPS. Please school me on which Garmin models you are using?
I have many, many motorcycle road miles under my butt with Garmin Zumos aboard because they are smallish and waterproof. Mapsource and nowadays BaseCamp (damnit) are/were the route making tool of choice for paved roads. Many of the endurance rallys I participated in would provide the bonus locations in gpx format days before the event and one could route as they saw fit for multiday challenges.
As I find myself slowly returning to offloading (and retiring the bikes) the Zumos are ill suited because of the inability to import trail/topomaps to them. I have mounted a 7" 32gb Nexus tablet running Gaia which does show me the way but I miss the ability to actually route.

Any suggestions?

IBA 433

This website (linked below) has the ability to convert a Google map route to GPX. So you can make a route in google maps, add stops, adjust the route and so forth, then convert it over.

It's not quick, and takes some playing with the setting and formats to get everything just right, but it technically could do what you are wanting.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Unfortunately this is not a good solution on the fly, works best from a computer I'm sure. Technically might work from a tablet browser, but the experience sounds frustrating at best. For planning ahead of time though it could work.

mjac

Adventurer
This website (linked below) has the ability to convert a Google map route to GPX. So you can make a route in google maps, add stops, adjust the route and so forth, then convert it over.

It's not quick, and takes some playing with the setting and formats to get everything just right, but it technically could do what you are wanting.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Unfortunately this is not a good solution on the fly, works best from a computer I'm sure. Technically might work from a tablet browser, but the experience sounds frustrating at best. For planning ahead of time though it could work.

Thanks,

I don't have that one, but several others I have used over the years. I'll be sure to give it a test drive.
I can manage to set up a route/wpts in most of programs and pull them into the zumo easy enough but without a complimenting map set in the Zumo the data just shows up on a blank screen. Routing often then reverts to straight line point to point.
Zumo's map sets are primarily paved surface roads. I have looked high and low for topo/trail maps for the Zumo but the ones I have found are expensive and/or don't cover my operating area well.
So, now I am looking for a larger screen Garmin unit that I can import topo/trails into and have use of its built in route feature. I enjoy being on a route (and having time and distance to go calcs running), be following it, and if I see something off route I want to investigate, I could do so. I think that Garmin unit is out there but don't know which one.

Gaia, provided I have previously d/l the maps, will let me "see" whats around me but no route and no associated time/distance data.

Ya know, maybe I am just overthinking this whole thing. When I was rallying, route/time/distance was important because bonus locations and getting to various check points were time restricted. Not so much when offroading/trail riding. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

Mike
IBA 433

ChadHahn

Adventurer
mjac, I think the new Garmin 276cx might be what you are looking for. It's expensive, $800 but seems to be very nice.

Chad

dstock

Explorer
Thanks,

I don't have that one, but several others I have used over the years. I'll be sure to give it a test drive.
I can manage to set up a route/wpts in most of programs and pull them into the zumo easy enough but without a complimenting map set in the Zumo the data just shows up on a blank screen. Routing often then reverts to straight line point to point.
Zumo's map sets are primarily paved surface roads. I have looked high and low for topo/trail maps for the Zumo but the ones I have found are expensive and/or don't cover my operating area well.
So, now I am looking for a larger screen Garmin unit that I can import topo/trails into and have use of its built in route feature. I enjoy being on a route (and having time and distance to go calcs running), be following it, and if I see something off route I want to investigate, I could do so. I think that Garmin unit is out there but don't know which one.

Gaia, provided I have previously d/l the maps, will let me "see" whats around me but no route and no associated time/distance data.

Ya know, maybe I am just overthinking this whole thing. When I was rallying, route/time/distance was important because bonus locations and getting to various check points were time restricted. Not so much when offroading/trail riding. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

Mike
IBA 433

I'm with you Mike, I've tried a number of programs, including Gaia which I do like, but all of them seem to have their shortcomings like not being able to re-route on the fly. I also have a Zumo which is my only dedicated GPS but I'd prefer a bit larger screen for the Jeep.

I think I am going to go with a larger screen Garmin unit as well as they just seem to work, easy to operate and they've come down in price so much. I'm curious to see which one you go with, the topo map isn't as important to me as most of the fire roads we travel on do show up on the Garmin, but it would be a nice option.

Guess I can't kick the old habits either!

FauxArmy

FauxArmy
I've been using Backcountry Navigator for a little over 3 years. I've always gotten it to do what I want, but then I've never asked much of it, mostly just for downloading and storing maps, finding my GPS location, and for recording tracks. However, there were two things about BCN that I didn't care for (1) for my particular tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0) I was unable to take advantage of the mostly empty space on my 32GB external SD card, and (2) BCN is not very intuitive, at least not for me. I've solved both these problems in the last couple of weeks by switching to GAIA GPS. The support is better, I'm able to put most of my overlanding activity on my external SD, and I'm able to learn how to use it. In two weeks I've learned more about the storage hierarchy and functions with GAIA than I did in 3 years of using BCN. And, being able to save files onto my external SD has been wonderful since my internal SD is only 8GB. Anyone have anything to add as regards the use of GAIA?

esh

Explorer
I have been using GAIA and OsmAnd on phone or tablet lately. GAIA gets the usgs quad detail that is nice and OsmAnd provides a good backup with relatively small data footprint (plus you can download per state/region, worldwide). OsmAnd gives you the opportunity to improve maps and contribute data back to the project. It also has good routing and allows routing to include waypoints/POIs.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I have been using both my 4g iPad and iPhone in connection with MotionX GPS and have loved it.. I can turn my phone and iPad basically off.. and still use the gps location.. I normally download on both setups... and have one for back up... I have recorded a couple thousand miles with this setup... and have loved it..I used it on my bike/boat and 4x4.. the only issue I have had is with my phone over heating due to leaving it out in the sun... if you have a 3/4g iPad..that has the capability have gps location with out service plans.. I turn my phone basically off as much as possible esp when I am in the "cuts"... to conserve batteries..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I have been using both my 4g iPad and iPhone in connection with MotionX GPS and have loved it.. I can turn my phone and iPad basically off.. and still use the gps location.. I normally download on both setups... and have one for back up... I have recorded a couple thousand miles with this setup... and have loved it..I used it on my bike/boat and 4x4.. the only issue I have had is with my phone over heating due to leaving it out in the sun... if you have a 3/4g iPad..that has the capability have gps location with out service plans.. I turn my phone basically off as much as possible esp when I am in the "cuts"... to conserve batteries..

I can download hybrid maps, as well as NOAA maps for marine use...

FJOE

Regular Dude

I have a Foretrex 401, a GPSmap 60CSx and a Montana 650T. The 401 and the 60 I only use when I dismount, basically something to spit out a grid coordinate and give me compass and sunrise/sunset. The 650 I usally keep in the vehicle, but I like its different modes, and ability to change from a vehicle-centric unit to backcountry/marine. I bought the 401, I got the 60 for free.99, and the 650 was given to me from work, and I don't have to give it back. I doubt I would have purchased something so expensive on my own, but I am glad I have it. I have used it all over the world. Word of caution though- Garmin no longer supports Israel maps, so if you are headed there, you will have to get them uploaded from another program.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Ive got an HP Envo tablet with Win 7 and 2meg? ram. Is there any potential to use this? Tried using it for work but it did not have enough RAM to run the complicated spreadsheets I was using. I've got no qualms with upgrading it to Win. 10 or junking that OS and going to Linux if that would help.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I've been using Backcountry Navigator for a little over 3 years. I've always gotten it to do what I want, but then I've never asked much of it, mostly just for downloading and storing maps, finding my GPS location, and for recording tracks. However, there were two things about BCN that I didn't care for (1) for my particular tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0) I was unable to take advantage of the mostly empty space on my 32GB external SD card, and (2) BCN is not very intuitive, at least not for me. I've solved both these problems in the last couple of weeks by switching to GAIA GPS. The support is better, I'm able to put most of my overlanding activity on my external SD, and I'm able to learn how to use it. In two weeks I've learned more about the storage hierarchy and functions with GAIA than I did in 3 years of using BCN. And, being able to save files onto my external SD has been wonderful since my internal SD is only 8GB. Anyone have anything to add as regards the use of GAIA?

In BCN Pro (the one that costs ~ $5), under settings, there is "Storage Options". Click that, then click browse. You should see your storage card there. Select it for downloading.
I could not get previously saved map sections to transfer over from internal memory to the card, but there may be a work around in Android to do that as well.
I only had one stored at the time, so I just reloaded it newer and bigger. :)

Took me a couple of tries to get it right, but now it works great. I bought a 128GB card, and load all the maps to the card.
I don't know if this is available in the free version. It would be worth checking.

One draw back I did find is it won't download a single map section larger than 4GB.

Hope this helps you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior