Taco Time: New or Used?

a45automan

2018 Tacoma DC 4X4, M416
Hello, I passed my 04 DC 4X4 to my son and now it is time to shop. I am debating on a low mileage gen 2 or a new one. They are about the same cost per mile but the cash outlay is 16% less on the 15. I have not even driven either one so, I would like some input from someone that knows these trucks. Thanks for your help. Looking forward to the new adventure.

DCGibbs

Observer
After driving a 2016 Double Cab, TRD Off-road, and seeing the Delta between 2 yrs used with 20K on the Odometer and a new 2018 loaded - we have put a down payment for the Dealer to order one out of Distribution. They didn't have the one on the floor, and the Mrs., wants the Tech package.

chasespeed

Explorer
Drive both. Spend some time in driver's seat of each(more than 2 or 3 miles).

I picked up a new 18, DCSB TRD OR last week... just wish I had a manual... but.... wife cannot drive stick, and she'll use this in winter weather conditions.

Some prefer 2nd gen over the 3rd. The 2nd uses a 4.0, and 5spd auto, the 3rd uses 3.5 and 6spd auto.
The newer engine is a little peaky, but, doesn't seem to hinder it.

That being said, this was my first ever new vehicle purchase, and there is something to be said for not HAVING to fix anything, or make changes. Out of the box this truck is pretty spot on for my uses. Just needs a real AT tire.......

Chase

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
I would go new...saves you the time and hassle of trying to find the "right" used one. That 16% you figured would be worth that alone.

Interiors are nicer on the 3rd gen...the difference in the power train is really splitting hairs.

Go pick out exactly what you like, take it home... then enjoy it.

Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer
If you want proven reliability and don’t mind a slightly dated interior get a late model 2nd gen. If you want fancy interior gadgets and factory warranty at the cost of a weaker engine and potentially troublesome drivetrain then buy a new 3rd gen.

bkg

Explorer
Personally... if I were in the market for a Tacoma.. it’d be a 2014-15 Sport DCSB. In white... last of the 4.0, low-ish miles, good foundation.

Ropodebo

Or save some cash, buy a late model gen 1 tundra! Size of a taco, with a v8! Haha
But as with everyone here, I'd take a new taco

crazysccrmd

Observer
Or save some cash, buy a late model gen 1 tundra! Size of a taco, with a v8! Haha
But as with everyone here, I'd take a new taco

Not everyone. You could give me a brand new Tacoma and I'd still sell it and have the money to put in my 2nd gen. The engine is terrible and added fluff tech in the cabin does not make up for that.

Reactions: bkg

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I went through the same question about 6 months ago and was ready to settle on a '18 when I happened upon an extremely well equipped 14 with low miles for notably less.

Ropodebo

Not everyone. You could give me a brand new Tacoma and I'd still sell it and have the money to put in my 2nd gen. The engine is terrible and added fluff tech in the cabin does not make up for that.
I hear ya. I wanted a new one, and almost pulled the trigger but in my opinion, it drove like my 82 land cruiser under 4k rpm. I'm not one for high rpm driving unless its doritos on a stick. Then I found my Tundra and fell in love. Now if only I could get that 4.7 with a manual behind it....

WickedSharp

I bought a 2015 TRD OR Access Cab with 18k on it in March 2017. Got it for $28,000.

I tow a Jayco hybrid camper (19H) and just didn’t want to cross my fingers that a 3rd gen would perform as well as the 2nd gens have in this area.

I have not been disappointed! Hi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior