Tacoma 2008 long bed and FWC

roadready

I own a 2008 tacoma 4x4 and the door sticker indicates a payload of only 1150 lbs. I am in the market for a FWC fleet popup but after adding weights of fuel, water, etc. it seems the weight may come to about 1500 lbs. Are there any folks out there with a FWC on a Tacoma and what has your experience been. I appreciate the feedback. May need to go shop for a new truck:)

Vantage

Adventurer
No need for a new truck.

Much of the Tacoma's low payload comes from the horrible stock leaf springs. Add airbags or a new set of leafs (OME Dakar, AllPro Expo) and you will easily be able to handle the weight.

Quite a few guy's here run the same setup, check out the "pop-up camper" section where you will see a lot more Tacoma + Four Wheel guys.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
The truck will carry a shell-type FWC or ATC camper. You may need to address the rear springs. I have an ATC shell camper and it pushes the GVWR limit even thought we travel light. I had the rear spring tsb done which adds a leaf to the rear spring pack. I am considering new rear springs. I have not experienced any issues with handling but a fully-loaded camper might be a different story. You can see my weight report here.

stclair

Adventurer
I ordered new leaf springs for my Tundra from Deaver. They are super friendly, and price seems fair. You might check them as well.

roadready

Thank you all for your comments. My Tacoma is a great truck and I'm eager to get it set up. Any other recommendations about boxing the frame, springs, air bags, etc. are appreciated. I want to do this right.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
E Range Tires,Upgraded Rear Springs, Airbags or Timbrens, Swaybar, Upgraded adjustable shocks and just be really careful with what you bring. I wish we could get the Hilux that is available all over the world, much higher weight rating. Personally, I love Toyota trucks but for a truck camper, I'm going to get a 1 ton with the lightest camper I can get. I don't want to drive a big truck but I think all the money I would spend strengthening the Yota could be spent in gas to go someplace cool with the basically stock 1 ton.

Cheers,
jorge

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Yeah, I forgot to mention about the tires. I put D-rated LT tires on in place of the stock tires. The stiffer sidewalls are a big improvement.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I run E's on my 01 Regular Cab. Overkill, Yes. Ride a little worse, Yes. Fill the truck with wood and drive away with no tire wiggle, worth every penny. Ha ha. They can handle a fair amount, just need some minor upgrades.

Frostymug

Observer
I also have a Tacoma and have thought about adding a FWC but just can't get past the weight issue. I would suggest loading your truck with 1500 lbs. (or whatever weight your fully loaded camper might be) and go for a test drive, on and off road. While its true that beefing up the suspension will help with handling there are other issues like brakes and lack of engine compression on steep grades. Keep in mind that heavy duty suspension and E-rated tires also add a lot of weight. Also with all that weight the MPG will suffer greatly.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm rolling with 900lbs over stock on the rear axle everyday. Add another 500-600lbs loaded for trips. OME HD springs couldn't handle the weight. Went to a custom leaf pack by Deaver Spring and added 2.5" Icon w/ Resis. It rides great now... The great thing is the weight distribution is right at 50/50. Scale weighed front / rear almost dead on 3,200lbs each.

It can handle it with the right modifications.

stclair

Adventurer
I'm rolling with 900lbs over stock on the rear axle everyday. Add another 500-600lbs loaded for trips. OME HD springs couldn't handle the weight. Went to a custom leaf pack by Deaver Spring and added 2.5" Icon w/ Resis. It rides great now... The great thing is the weight distribution is right at 50/50. Scale weighed front / rear almost dead on 3,200lbs each.

It can handle it with the right modifications.

Ditto. Call Deaver, talk to Jeff, they're great to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998