Tacoma 4cyl vs 6 cyl

SunFlower

Adventurer
I have owned.....

1987 Toyota pickup 4x4 with 22R motor (4cyl)

2000 Ford F-150 with V8

2002 Tacoma with V6

2008 Tacoma with V6

2008 FJ with V6

My current truck is 2013 Tacoma 4x4 with 4cyl

After all of these trucks I have concluded that if you don't tow, the 4cyl is my preference for motor.

Azazruk

Just got done towing 3100 pounds from CA to NJ with a 4 cyl was a bit slow over the hills but averaged 19 mpg and with less power it kept me from getting tickets.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
"Kept me from getting tickets." I hope I never catch myself saying that and feeling ok about it. Haha

I felt like the stock v6 was barely adequate, so I supercharged it right away.

I feel great about the 4 cylinder in my wife's car, but it's a turbo diesel. I pulled a cargo trailer from KY to OR with it, 70-80mph towing at 30mpg. Why even get a truck with a four cylinder? That's just me though. ;)

Azazruk

Haha thanks for the humor. Yes, not having capability to go much over the speed limit can get annoying at times and a super charged V6 sounds like one fun time. When a get that need for speed feeling I will take the bikes out for a while. The truck works as a good dependable utility vehicle and will get thru the dirt just fine.

Nessmuk

I suppose at close to 62 I find that the ability to cruise along at 80 on an interstate is enough. The 2.7L 5 speed is quick enough for me. Pulls my 6x10 cargo trailer into the mountains of West Virginia well enough too. The fact I had my 98 2.7 ,until I bought my 2015, without a single engine issue also factored into getting another 4cylinder.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
"Kept me from getting tickets." I hope I never catch myself saying that and feeling ok about it.

You know you're a redneck if you've ever towed over 100 mph.

I guess I am lucky enough to have multiple vehicles, so I do my towing with a Cummins powered Dodge. But here in CA we need that kind of power to get up and over the mountains. There's a lot more to a truck than the motor though. Brakes and weight factor in too while towing.

I used to tow a race car with a Volvo 240 wagon so I do know where you're coming from. Limit the weight you will be towing to about 3000 lbs and any modern Toyota will do it.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
2.7 is the way to go for me also.

Love the reliability, kind of nice not changing spark plugs every 30K miles either.

Nice SR you got there Nessmuk!

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
When I lived in Florida a 4 banger was adequate. Now living in the west, there is no way it would work for me. Fully loaded with the AC on, my 4.0 struggles up a few passes. Out here in the oil patch on some of our highways(only 2 lane) doing under 65 mph will get you run over by a triple tanker. Those guys are in a big hurry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears