Tacoma Air Bag Rant! :(

84scrambler

Observer
air bags are for towing, teat that dangerous pos out of there and get a nice grant wood grain wheel :sombrero:, or pop out the dash and disconnect the light in the cluster, that is what i did with my abs after i disconnected it, i was tired of it almost wrecking my car in the dirt

thedjjack

Dream it build it
air bags are for towing, teat that dangerous pos out of there and get a nice grant wood grain wheel :sombrero:, or pop out the dash and disconnect the light in the cluster, that is what i did with my abs after i disconnected it, i was tired of it almost wrecking my car in the dirt

Ya agreed not much of an airbag fan... I truly think they are only in cars to increase the cost of repairs and sell more cars. ABS does not work in gravel or ice.

I do not get why you can buy a motorcycle still but it is illegal to take the doors of my Jeep. Proper seats, belts, and a cage works better...

Arktikos

Explorer
..The extensive labor is due to the fact that the technician has to remove and replace the entire dash board to get to it..

Hire the neighbor's retarded kid to remove the dash board, then take it to the dealer for said repairs. A foolproof plan. :wings:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
There is a TSB where we replace a connector end that is under the passenger seat of the sienna. We cut a section of the connector wiring out and using Toyota butt type connector to install a new connector with pig tail wires.

If you could find connector from like a junk yard. Cut like 8 inches back on the wiring and either solider it into yours or see about getting toyotas butt connectors which might work but without seeing the wires I can't say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZMagic97

Explorer
Ya agreed not much of an airbag fan... I truly think they are only in cars to increase the cost of repairs and sell more cars. ABS does not work in gravel or ice.

I do not get why you can buy a motorcycle still but it is illegal to take the doors of my Jeep. Proper seats, belts, and a cage works better...

Sorry for a hijack: You can't your doors off your Jeep where you live? :eek:

Also, someone mentioned an insurance claim on the issue..any luck with that? Or attempted to call and ask them?

sargeek

Adventurer
Thanks for the additional advise; life has been busy and I have not visited Toyota for their opinion yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Dealership won't repair any airbag wire unless there is a TSB or it's an actually repair process in repair manual. If it was mine I would get cut if a good pig tail with connector. Get the Toyota butt connectors and repair. If light goes away. It's all good. If you post pix of the wire. I could get you part numbers from TSB for the butt connectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hilux30

Observer
That sucks, there's a 91 LS400 parked outside with more than 300k miles and SRS still functional, Toyota used to brag about gold plating their sensors and connections for all things air-bag related, I guess times have changed...

Could you depin the connector, clean each pin and install? Hell I would try a a brass brush and dielectric grease. We do this all the time in aviation world.

sargeek

Adventurer
So I dug this post out from the past. I have had bad luck with dealers, so I generally avoid their service departments. So I finally took the Tacoma to a dealer for the stack of recalls (Springs, Frame) and asked them to check the air bag light. I dropped the truck off last night, so they had it in the shop first thing in the morning. By 9:00 am the service writer called me. Airbag light was diagnosed to the same front air bag sensor, along with the wiring harness. No big deal, they have the parts in stock (air bag sensor, wiring harness repair kit) + 3 hours of labor. for a charge of just under $800 - Done. After the initial estimate from $3K from the independent Toyota mechanic, it seem like a bargain. No air bag light = happy face.

P.S. - I don't need a new frame under the Tacoma. The service righter said some people are happy when they hear they don't need a new frame, and others are sad when they hear they don't need a frame. I guess I was happy - I can't imagine the truck being the same after replacing the fame.

Bottom line - I guess I should have received a second opinion soon. Also makes me question my independent Toyota mechanic some.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I have had good luck at my local Toyota dealer. They even welded my downpipe on my 01 Tacoma, instead of trying to sell me a new one. The dealer where I just bought my 2006, couldn't even balance my tires...good shops are tough to find.

-jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger