Tacoma alternator output for aux. battery

Dusty T.

Observer
My first time posting here after doing some looking around the forums. Definitely pleased to see there's a dedicated board to aux power!

So I got myself a truck I've been coveting for several years- a 2002 Tacoma extra cab, V6, 4wd, TRD package with 53K miles.

Now, I installed an aux battery system on my old '91 Ranger. This used a 95-amp disconnect to isolate both batteries activated by the ignition key turned to the "on" position, using #8 AWG wire to charge the aux 800 ah marine battery. I even upgraded the old, stock 80-amp alternator to a 130 amps, so charging the battery and running accessories was not a problem. Well, except for the one time I overheated the alternator after running the battery too low........ Never repeated that mistake again. Otherwise, it was a pretty simple, trouble-free system.

With the Ranger to soon be up for sale, I am transferring the charging harness and battery over to the Tacoma. Turns out the Tacoma's little alternator is rated at 80 amps. Seems kind of low for a truck with power windows, locks and towing capabilities.

I did some searching on this, and found some information for battery setups here, but not so much about having to upgrade the alternator. So, I'm addressing the age old question whether or not the stock 80-amp alternator will be enough to keep up with charging the auxiliary battery, a 200-amp sub, and potential 100-watt driving lights? Doing the math, that's up to around 1120 watts at 14 volts peak output. Of course, the voltage drops a bit when a load is introduced.....

Is it time to call Mr. Alternator, or are other expedition Tacomas running around out there without needing to upgrade the alternator?

Thanks for bearing with me. Can't wait to get this rig outfitted a bit!

Dusty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78