Tacoma Brake Longevity...

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Took our Tacoma in for new brakes this week. I bought the truck with ~5 miles on the ODO back in 2005 and will pass 100K miles this week. To celebrate the 100K mark, I figured I'd get new brakes. There was nothing wrong with the old brakes, they worked perfectly: no squeaks, shudders, pulling, etc. It just seemed like after 6 years and 100K miles we gotta be due for new brakes, right?

WRONG.

-The front pads were worn to <10% but still "good to go for awhile longer" according to the shop.
-The rotors are fine.
-The rear shoes still have 50% left. :Wow1:

I went ahead and had the front pads changed along with a brake fluid flush but man... I've never had any of the 20+ vehicles I've owned go anywhere near 100K on a set of brakes. I'm impressed.

My 1st gen Tacoma went 160,000+ (still going with the new owner) on the rear shoes and 120,000 on my front pads. About the same as what your looking at. Glad to hear the 2nd gens are as good as that is what I have now.

trump

Adventurist
Nice.

Also a 1st Gen, but I replaced the original front brakes (rears were about the same as yours ~50%) around 90K miles. I did the Tundra brake swap (13WL), but it didn't hit me until just now that they might be the last set of brake pads the truck will ever need.

keezer37

Explorer
The rears just won't wear out. I used to think they weren't in contact with the drums but there is always a fair amount of dust. Maybe it's the drums wearing out and not the shoes. :ylsmoke:

Did you have the rotors resurfaced? Mine weren't exactly flat and smooth so I had .020 taken off. Figure they'll grab better and last longer that way.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
That is the direction that my Tacoma is headed, new front brakes at about 100k and new rears sometime long after that. Sure is nice to own a Toyota.

nucktaco

Adventurer
ive got 140.000 kms on my 08 taco (approx 87000 miles) and ive had to replace my front pads 4 times (ready for the 5th time any day now). also had to replace the calipers, rotors and master cylinder! the rears however are still @ 40%

Overland Hadley

on a journey
What year did the Tacoma get disc rears? With heavy loads the extra braking power might be nice, but the drums are low cost to maintain.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
ive got 140.000 kms on my 08 taco (approx 87000 miles) and ive had to replace my front pads 4 times (ready for the 5th time any day now). also had to replace the calipers, rotors and master cylinder! the rears however are still @ 40%

Do you do any unusual driving that would cause so much brake wear? Do you left foot brake?

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I'm at 80K on a 2005...thought they might be due and also was pleasantly surprised to find out no need...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I replaced my original front brake pads at my 60,000 Mile Service (12OCT09): New OEM front brake pads, rotors machined @ dealer.

I did the rears at 86,500 Miles (26MAR11): New OEM rear drum brake shoes (replaced early, 30%+ remaining on old shoes).

Due to heavy trailering in the mountains I replaced the front pads again at my 91,500 Mile Maintenance (3JUN11): New OEM front brake pads. (only 31k on this set...)

I just had the original brake fluid flushed at the dealer at 93,700 on 14JUL11.

Edit: This workhorse does it all and has been my DD since Feb 2005.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
That is the direction that my Tacoma is headed, new front brakes at about 100k and new rears sometime long after that.
That makes sense: our trucks our likely close in weight and I think we have similar driving styles. :)

keezer37 said:
Did you have the rotors resurfaced?
Surprisingly, they didn't need it. First time I've ever had a set of rotors not need machining.

FWIW- Our Tacoma is primarily used as our camping rig/dog hauler and not a daily driver or commuter.

Gregster

Observer
120,000 miles on original pads and they're still not done though my rotors are starting to feel like they need to be turned down a few thou. I guess it depends on where you are driving and how hard you are on the brakes, my driving is mostly highway.

At 270,000 miles on my 2000 (owned since new) I have only replaced my front pads twice and the rotors once. Has anyone with this kind of milage replace their U joints yet? No clucks or anything just curious?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle