Tacoma DCLB vs. Tundra DCLB and Flippac for growing family with bikes and dog

daveyboy

Adventurer
I have a 2008 Tundra 4x4 DC with the short bed (78.7"). It has been perfect for my family of four when camping, bicycling, riding motorcycles, etc. Personally, I would never buy a pickup with a bed any shorter than what I currently have.

Clutch

<---Pass
Agreed - Flippac is closest thing to being a pop top without being a pop top.

I generally stub my toe on the dresser at home heading to the bathroom...I surely would kill myself scaling down a ladder.

Had Wildernest for a couple years, I loved that it didn't look like a camper unless it was open, that and it set up in a minute or
two...get tired on the road...pull over, set it up...bam... in bed.

If the weather is bad didn't feel claustrophobic if we were stuck inside...stuck in a RTT would drive me nuts.

I have been looking for a Flippac for a while now...unfortunately I have a Tacoma...that size goes quick when they come up for sale.
Still debating on getting a Regular Cab Tundra with a 8' bed, that with a FP would be killer...could have dance parties in that thing. ;)

p nut

butter
That whole peeing the morning thing... ;)

Can't stand up and change clothes out of the weather, without deploying another part of the tent system.

Bah. As long as the wind's not blowing back towards the tent, no need to climb ladders. Let the womenfolk fend for themselves.

:D

ANDYROO

Adventurer
Where are you located?

Hey Adam,

I have a Flippac on my 2010 DC Tacoma. I camp with Wife, 14 year old daughter and dog. I use a Engel 45 on slide and also will have a propane heater internally installed. We're based in north county San Diego and if you're close enough, you'd be welcome to come look at the rig and see the amount of space we have.

Andy

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
I currently have a 2001 Tacoma DC. If I was in your position I would go with the Tundra. More power, more space, and you don't sacrifice much at all in economy over the Tacoma. I'm not sure how much off road driving you do, but for me, the size of the Tundra would very rarely be an issue. I know for me, most of my driving is done on the hwy getting to my destination, and having the extra power of the V8 would be very welcomed and the deciding factor for me. Fortunately my truck is paid off, so I can't justify buying a new one.

I think this is the deciding factor, YotaPilot. With 300lbs of Flippac and another 300lbs of overland/camping gear and then adding the bikes, hitch-rack, people and personal gear to the mix, a Tacoma is going to be worked at highway speeds - especially in the mountains. For me it's the destination over the vehicle's off-road capability. I guess that's where I diverge from the heart of what this forum is about - but there is enough overlap in talk about gear that is useful to me that this community will be the first I turn to for info and inspiration.

Thanks for all of the great replies, everyone! :)

Clutch

<---Pass
I think this is the deciding factor, YotaPilot. With 300lbs of Flippac and another 300lbs of overland/camping gear and then adding the bikes, hitch-rack, people and personal gear to the mix, a Tacoma is going to be worked at highway speeds - especially in the mountains. For me it's the destination over the vehicle's off-road capability. I guess that's where I diverge from the heart of what this forum is about - but there is enough overlap in talk about gear that is useful to me that this community will be the first I turn to for info and inspiration.

Granted we have the extra cab Tacoma, only 2 of us and a dog... between the camp gear, dirt bikes & trailer, mountain bikes, fishing equipment, we run out of room and power real quick...I love the Tacoma for everything but traveling. Going solo is fine, bring one other, it kinda blows...I couldn't imagine throwing kids into the mix with the little Tacoma.

p nut

butter
Riiiiiight, I know better. :D

If momma ain't happy, no one's happy. ;)

Well, ladder issues aside, mama is too scared to be out in the middle of the night, so not a factor in my household. :) I have thought about setting up an annex with LED lights and a porta-potty moved into it temporarily for the night. As long as no one goes #2, it should be good.

For the Gen 2 Tacoma's (05+) with the 4.0, I doubt power would be an issue, especially if you're not towing anything.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, ladder issues aside, mama is too scared to be out in the middle of the night, so not a factor in my household. :) I have thought about setting up an annex with LED lights and a porta-potty moved into it temporarily for the night. As long as no one goes #2, it should be good.

That could work!

The whole not be able to stand up is what keeps me from a RTT, that and the ladder. Not that I am not healthy and spry...for some reason it doesn't appeal to me.

For the Gen 2 Tacoma's (05+) with the 4.0, I doubt power would be an issue, especially if you're not towing anything.

Sure would of been nice if the Taco got the 270hp/278tq 4.0 like the 4Runner.

Clutch

<---Pass
I am trying to figure out how to squeeze in a 6.2l GM performance crate motor into my 2005 taco

Thought you sold it?

Toyota squeezed in a super charged 5.7. Looks like it belongs there!

2011-toyota-tacoma-x-runner-RTR-engine.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78