Tacoma engines

Cruiser79

Observer
A few years ago I visited Canada, and from then I 've been in love with the tacoma's! But unfortunately there aren't Tacoma's at all in Europe... Offcourse it is possible to import a Canadian or American Tacoma, but I think there are only petrol Tacoma's. And with petrol prices over € 1,60 per litre, it isn't fun driving a truck like that... Are the the tacoma's ever delivered with a diesel engine as well? And who knows what type of toyota engine will fit a Tacoma? Is it possible to fit a 1HD engine for example?
A diesel Tacoma would be perfect for in Europe, so i'm very interested in diesel conversions!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Funny to see this - I guess the grass is always greener? Over on our side of the pond we drool over the vehicles you can get in Europe that we can't get here like the Hilux or the 70 series Land Cruiser.
Why not just get a diesel Hilux? It's pretty much the same truck but with a bigger payload and presumably with a metal bed instead of a composite (plastic) bed.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Enlighten us- what did you find so marvelous about our Tacoma vs the Hilux?
Conversion is possible using the 1KZ or 1KD engines. I would probably rather get a hilux, swap out the whole suspension for something cushy, transplant the interior from your favorite German luxury car and be at half the cost.

Cruiser79

Observer
The payload is quite less than a Hilux indeed, how is that possible? For the Hilux double cab Toyota says 800 kg/1750 lbs, and for a Tacoma 600 kg/1300 lbs.
The Hilux's are great cars as well, but the bed is too short when you have a double cab. The Tacoma long bed model has a bed of 73 '' , where the hilux double cab only has 59 '' .
For a toolbox on the back, the bed of the Hilux is too short. Also for a camper unit there will be too little space.

Clymber

Adventurer
get it shipped to Iceland and travel that country for a little while and take the ferry from Iceland to Norway

Stankelbein

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ferry between Iceland and Norway (Bergen) was closed several years ago. They now go to Denmark instead, which may be more convenient for OP anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears