Tacoma or 4Runner

cationmoted

Observer
Not sure about the V8's but in 2006 the V6 4runner received a 5speed auto transmission. Earlier ones had one less gear. Also the 2006 and up vehicles had led tail lights and better headlights.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Not sure about the V8's but in 2006 the V6 4runner received a 5speed auto transmission. Earlier ones had one less gear. Also the 2006 and up vehicles had led tail lights and better headlights.

And round wheel wells that look much better.

talon

The 4th gen 4runner got a 5 speed auto in 2005 and the face lift in 2006 i have 150000 miles on my and it still feels new

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I had a 2000 Taco XCab that I bought new and ran for 10 years over all kinds of roads and in all kinds of weather. I should never have sold it. I did replace the ****ty bench seat with two sportier aftermarket seats. I also added a OME suspension. I covered the box with a heavy duty Raven fiberglass top. One thing I would highly recommend if you go with a pickup and topper, get Windoors or something similar for the side glass on the topper. They make access to everything you store so much easier. For most of the time I owned the Taco i had a RTT on the topper. Great combination if you're young.

For a short time I had a '97 4Runner. I installed my RTT and awning on it and really liked it a lot. My wife didn't like climbing up and down the ladder in the middle of the night so much any more. ;-) So I sold it. It had over 250,00 miles on it by then.

IMG_2417.jpg

I now own a 2011 4Runner. I've again gone with an OME suspension package and tow a small RTT/trailer combo. Much more plush than the Taco. I also like the accessiblity to storage items with the rear seat down, plus once the doors are locked it is much more secure.

They are all great vehicles. You won't go wrong choosing any of them.

32vsnake

Adventurer
Well more like fulltime four wheel drive. It still had low range and a center diff lock.
V6 had the same except you could disengage it and run 2wd

Agreed.. your explanation is more technically accurate and correct. We had a 2003 with the 4.7 v8 and I'd still have it if it wasn't for the ex

armedandlethal

Hmmm... I do like the look of your truck, sometimes I find the toppers to look weird in my opinion. Only thing I have noticed it how much more expensive a 4dr Tacoma is than the 4Runner while being the same year. Then adding the cost of a topper on top of that. But the way things are going any way I don't believe all be able to do a straight trade for any Toyota at the years I'm looking at and it will be awhile before I can gather the money required to combine with the trade and by then my current truck may be dead... :(

ChrisWH

As mentioned earlier, if you need a truck, get the truck. For instance if you hunt, a truck is a much better option. Otherwise get the 4runner. The SUV will be more comfortable in the long run.

There are pros & cons over each vehicle, some drawbacks to the Tacoma:

-If you're travelling with more than two people, the cab area will get small pretty quickly. You'll have to stop more often to get things from the back of the truck that ordinarily someone could reach behind them to get.

-The Tacoma is a bit gimped for overland/camping because it has a low weight capacity. This is where the boxed frame of the Hilux would've been great to have in the US. The irony is that the pickup will have more volume to put things, but the SUV will be able to carry heavier items. You can add suspension upgrades, but a slide in camper may not be in the cards.

-4wd vs awd, this depends on years, the 4runner will likely have a more advanced 4wd for everyday driving. This prevents you from getting into a situation.

Anyway, just some notes. I recently sold my FJ80, and bought a Tacoma xcab. The Tacoma is a great truck & perfect if it was just *me* camping. Add people in the mix, it starts getting cramped.

I'm in the process of looking for a new SUV for camping...
Chris

SigSense

Adventurer
Just went through this conundrum and went from a 5th Gen 4Runner to a 2nd Gen Tacoma. Needed the bed space for construction materials. Had the 4Runner and was always having to use a trailer---got tired of that. While deer hunting with the 4Runner, you certainly don't want a bleeding carcass in the back. Have camped numerous times with the Taco now, sleeping in the 6 foot bed came in handy verses setting up a tent. If you do go the Tacoma route, get the Long Bed, and a shell/topper.

Here's my current set-up.....DSC01058.jpg

armedandlethal

Leaning towards the 4Runner just because I don't really need the bed besides hunting but I figured I can just get a basket that attaches to the hitch of the vehicle, there I could put a deer or hog. Plus after seeing this picture, I'm really liking how a 4Runner can look... file-2187.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78