Tacoma Sleep Platform and Drawers slow build

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
I've been trying to figure out my sleep platform and drawer configuration for the past 2 years. Well, I think I have finally figured it out. I am trying to build to to where if I ended up getting a Flippac I could keep much of the safe configuration. On to the beginning of the build.

I purchased 2 of the AT Overland birch drawers because of the perfect size and quality of craftsmanship. Then proceeded to modify a bit by replacing the tops so that they would extend the full width of the truck bed. I also cut 1" pucks to lift the drawers up so that I could slide things underneath of them and make them even with the truck wheel wells. I added a blue sea fuse block tapped off of my secondary battery for power to the overhead red or white lights, fan, and shower pump. I am also working on adding a rear box to house a 7 gallon water tank and 1 gpm pump for cold water showers on the road. Below are the pics of the work in progress. I have the passenger side drawer setup with all our cooking supplies and the driver side is generally used for clothes on a trip. The new pieces still need to be stained and everything will eventually be covered with monstaliner.

IMG_4399.jpg
Drawers with new top and 1" pucks
IMG_4403.jpg
Fuse Block
IMG_4414.jpg
Full view of reading lights
IMG_4408.jpg
White Lights
IMG_4407.jpg
Red lights
IMG_4404.jpg
Shower pump
IMG_4410.jpg
Shower connection and switch
IMG_4416.jpg
Cooking drawer setup

I also removed the seat behind the driver and replaced with a custom platform with water, frig, and fire extinguisher. There is also added storage under the platform.

IMG_4224.jpg

Last edited:

tweeek

Observer
What size is that ARB fridge? I am trying to decide whetherto put mine in the bed or the back seat (also an access cab)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
What size is that ARB fridge? I am trying to decide whetherto put mine in the bed or the back seat (also an access cab)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

It's a 37 quart. I love having it behind my seat because my wife can just reach back into the frig. if we want something as we are driving. The nice thing about the ARB too is the lid comes off and I can get into it from the driver side access cab in camp very easily. Looking back at it though I would have gotten a 50 quart because it is the same dimensions except for height.

bicyclist

Observer
If you don't mind, I'll interject a thought about mounting the fridge in the cab or the topper. I just got home from a weekend of dirt biking. The truck was parked in the sun. I use Reflectix in the topper for window covers and all of the windows were covered except for the sliders on either side. The cab windows were closed and it became quite warm in the cab, while the topper remained cool.

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
If you don't mind, I'll interject a thought about mounting the fridge in the cab or the topper. I just got home from a weekend of dirt biking. The truck was parked in the sun. I use Reflectix in the topper for window covers and all of the windows were covered except for the sliders on either side. The cab windows were closed and it became quite warm in the cab, while the topper remained cool.

That is a good thought and recommendation but as for me I love being able to access while inside the truck and having it in the topper would take away too much sleeping space.

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
I couldn't make it out to the NW Expo due to work but I did make some more progress on my sleep platform. I am pretty much finished just need to figure out my deck fill plumbing.
Parts list:
7 gallon tank with custom fittings from Pasticmart http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/266/7-gallon-rv-water-tank-rvb272
1 gpm Shurflo pump http://www.shurflo.com/marine-products/marine-pumps/fresh-water-pumps/aqua-king-fresh-water-pumps/default.html
Shower Port http://www.dyersonline.com/dandw-spray-away-exterior-shower-spray-port.html
Deck fittings http://www.go2marine.com/product/63710F/sea-dog-deck-fill-with-keyless-cap-nylon.html
Misc hose and clamps

Final results
photo 4.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 1.jpg
photo 3.JPG

Finished platform behind the driver seat too
photo.JPG

Last edited:

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Looking back at it though I would have gotten a 50 quart because it is the same dimensions except for height.

I have a 50 quart ARB and used to have it mounted behind the passenger seat similar to your setup. It didn't work well there because it is too tall, the passenger seat had to be slid far forward or else it could not be reclined. Also, here in the desert it got too hot in the cab and caused the fridge to run constantly. I like how clean your setup is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78