Tacoma that's 1600 lbs over GVWR... recertifying and wheeling

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
At times like this I prefer to defer and refer to the “experts,” because, you know, they’re “experts.”

So they say It’s “illegal” (yes the word is mentioned twice below) to exceed your pickup’s cargo weight capacity… but unfortunately there’s no specific law cited to support this 🤔. I’m not disputing this claim because I’m pretty sure these guys get really well paid to properly research and offer sage, accurate advice on important issues related to truck ownership…😉

Can You Increase Payload Capacity?​

While we’ve already covered this point numerous times, let's establish it as fact. NEVER, under any circumstances, can you exceed your vehicle’s payload capacity. Regardless of the modifications to the suspension or chassis, exceeding your vehicle’s payload beyond manufacturer-specified values isn’t just unsafe but illegal!

Rather than modifying to increase payload capacity, you should always modify your pickup to improve hauling performance. But remember, just because your pickup can now handle its max payload better doesn’t mean you can exceed it!

Payload Tips
There are a few basic tips to follow when considering payload; namely:

• Never exceed your vehicle’s payload capacity: While it may be tempting, it’s illegal and ill-advised to increase/exceed your vehicle’s weight capacity. Doing so doesn’t just put excessive strain on your pickup but endangers yourself and other drivers on the road.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Good lord, I didn't bring it up in this thread at all, you did... and it was something I wrote in another thread a good while ago, not in this one!

And here you are again, ignoring the very basic assumption that the statement was based on... that both trucks are traction limited! I later decided (in the earlier thread which you linked) that this was likely unrealistic, and then assumed that they were traction limited up to GVWR, and brake limited above that. I've made zero references to that statement to defend my position.
Both trucks are not traction limited with general braking....so you basic assumption is WRONG, not sure how else to break it to ya.

kmacafee

Adventurer
The truck must have been a F350 DRW as the componets are not shared with vehicles that have a higer GVWR.
It’s been more than a few years ago but I believe it was an F350 and I said in the post, a dually.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Both trucks are not traction limited with general braking....so you basic assumption is WRONG, not sure how else to break it to ya.
Panic stop... I don't know what you mean by "general braking".

If they aren't traction limited then how do you explain that the Tremor takes 27% longer to stop vs the Tacoma (70 to 0)? It mean that Tremor's brakes are insufficient for its weight.

The fact that heavier vehicles take considerably longer to stop indicates that traction is the limiter. Else they could all just use more powerful brakes and stop in the same distance.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Never underestimate the greed of lawyers or the stupidity of jurors.
Well said.

While "travesty of justice" isn't a rare phenomena, if I worried about all the ways that could happen, I'd be too anxious to ever leave my room. Like with all the myriad ways that "reality" can bite you, if the odds are low, it's best to pay it no mind and get on with it.

nickw

Adventurer
Panic stop... I don't know what you mean by "general braking".

If they aren't traction limited then how do you explain that the Tremor takes 27% longer to stop vs the Tacoma (70 to 0)? It mean that Tremor's brakes are insufficient for its weight.

The fact that heavier vehicles take considerably longer to stop indicates that traction is the limiter. Else they could all just use more powerful brakes and stop in the same distance.
How many times do we need to go around with this? "braking" is more than panic stops....

You mean in your unloaded example? Go throw 2600 lbs in the Tacoma and those numbers are meaningless, we are talking 'loaded' vehicles right....the entire point of this thread or maybe I am missing something?

Have fun - over and out for me, drag somebody else into this.

rruff

Explorer
How many times do we need to go around with this? "braking" is more than panic stops...
That was the only thing we were discussing. If we aren't talking about the most challenging scenario, and the one where poor performance is most likely to cause an accident, then why does it even matter?

I did show that the Tacoma would still beat the Tremor even with 2600 lbs added to each.

If you are thinking about burning up your brakes on descents that's in the "egregious driver error" category. Easily fixed without a design change... plus you haven't shown any evidence that the heavier truck would fare better in that regard, either.

tacollie

Glamper
I did show that the Tacoma would still beat the Tremor even with 2600 lbs added to each.
Have you ever driven a Tacoma with 2600lbs added to it? I have. It didn't stop fast. Your argument might be true if the Tacoma had a bigger master cylinder.

My F250 is limited by the tires. A heavy Tacoma is limited by it's braking components.

As far as brake fade there is no comparison. The Tacoma requires engine braking to operate safely. The Tundra only required if you don't want to buy pads and rotors regularly. I would remind my wife to downshift in the Tacoma and Tundra. I don't say a word in the F250🤣

simple

Adventurer
Not only does it increase your GVWR, it also brings the tire floatation up another 50%. Time to ditch those maxtrax. Errrr. Hmmm.

nickw

Adventurer
Not only does it increase your GVWR, it also brings the tire floatation up another 50%. Time to ditch those maxtrax. Errrr. Hmmm.
If the product is as impressive as their website - sign me up :)

It's functionally a "trailer".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior