Tacoma to 80 series?

Ranchero

Wanderer
I was in almost the same boat. Had grown out of our 94 extended cab 4x4 (kid). Even with 33s regeared with 4.88s, it would get 20mpg under all conditions. I moved to a 96 cruiser, bumpers, rack, winch, 305s regeared with 4.56s. Super reliable, comfortable and capable. Pretty consistently get 15mpg, but I don't drive over 65. If money were no object, I would build a 2001-2005 four door Tacoma. I figure a Tacoma built like my cruiser would cost ten grand more than the$ 8-9k I have in mine. FZJs are dirt cheap.

DinoJuice

80 is well proven. Hard to argue with full floater axles and factory lockers. Only real lacking area is brakes. Toyota blew it with the 80 brake system. Just not enough for the truck. You can use 100-series pads though for more surface area.

Alastair

EricBirk

Adventurer
80 is well proven. Hard to argue with full floater axles and factory lockers. Only real lacking area is brakes. Toyota blew it with the 80 brake system. Just not enough for the truck. You can use 100-series pads though for more surface area.

Alastair

Which years are you refering to? My 95 stops pretty well, for what it is :)
I guess the same could be said for a loaded up 1st gen Taco though too. Tundra swap did wonders for them.

slowLC

I have a 95 80 with 255s and an OME 2.5 lift with a winch and a few other mods. I live in a place with harsh weather and bad roads and there is literally nothing I rather climb into than my 80! It's strong, drives great, and with the 255s it isn't too slow at all. Lots of room inside also. I picked one up with front and read lockers for 5500. Good luck with your decision

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger