Tacoma Trailhunter Composite Shell Ideas

Willard27

I need some feedback from the Tacoma Crowd. Working on concepts for a company that creates composite panels and shells. The plan is to create a blank canvas / empty shell that the customer could outfit for their dream build. Cheap and light. We will prototype the winner.

If you had to pick, would you want: 1. Full Size Camper (69" high), 2. Motorbike / MTB Storage (60" high), or 3. Contractor Canopy (48" high)?

CANOPY.1912.pngMOTORBIKE.1910.pngCANOPY.1911.png

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
None of them. The market is saturated with options. Unless the price point is significantly different I don't think there's much space in the market currently.

A full bolt on flatbed solution or a lightweight version of an alaskan for a lower price point is about the only gap I currently see.

Willard27

Thank you for the feedback and the Alaskan reference . I’ve never seen them. Those things are wild. $42K and 2000#. Wow.

I've been working on the hard side pop up idea.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
What is the payload on a trailhunter?
No one knows until door stickers get posted. Supposed to be 1700lbs on the new Taco but my guess is that will be max for any trim/drivetrain and the trailhunter will be like 1100lbs. The new Tundra was supposed to have a higher payload and on real world door stickers it's been around 1300-1400lbs.

Published numbers are basically BS ha. Even on my XD Pro4x published numbers are around 2240lbs but reality is 2000lbs on even a base package Pro4x.

My conclusion was that basically every non HD truck with any sort of slide in is over payload and any mid size truck with even a topper camper, two people, and any gear is close to payload with the exception of the extended cab Ford ranger.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Payload, I often wonder what people think/hear , when 'Max Payload '
Topics are discussed.
I've always 'assumed ' the manufactur use of 'max payload ' was used
for safety, like stopping, cornering, excessive wear..et al
I could be wrong though.
Glwp

rruff

Explorer
1700# est for the iForce Hybrid. I don’t think official numbers are out. Battery weight will be an interesting addition and impact.
It will be under 1,000lb in reality... probably.

I'd suggest making the camper 80" wide external at most. Keep any gaps small. Also, facets are good.

The Aterra camper is a good example of doing flat panels "right". If you want to make a full camper for a midsize, I think it's important to maximize space utilization, be at least 72" high inside, and be aero, and minimize frontal area.

Another option vs Aterra style, would be a molded nose to go on the front. That would be best for aero.

I've always 'assumed ' the manufactur use of 'max payload ' was used
for safety, like stopping, cornering, excessive wear..et al
I could be wrong though.

It's the manufacturer warranty and liability limit, based on the stock vehicle. If you are over GVWR and something fails, they can deny warranty on that basis. If you are over GVWR and are in an accident, Toyota isn't liable.

If you do proper upgrades on suspension and tires, then safety isn't a concern within reason. Excessive wear? No doubt a Tacoma hauling 2,500 lbs is going to have a harder life than one that isn't!... but that amount of weight isn't unusual, either.

rruff

Explorer
Only #1 would interest me. But there is already a company doing that and appears to be doing it well. I would say make it a pop up but there is now a company doing that as well so it might be difficult to enter that space.
Custom size and configuration would be a good niche I think. IMO campers look like crap if they don't fit the cab and bed rails. Also 90 degree corners look very chunky to the eye and air, and if you are able to offer a variety of joining angles it can be a better product.

Also, I wouldn't worry about competition if you are serious about making a good product and taking care of your customers.

I see Aterra has a shell now that mounts to bed rails.

lighter

LionZoo

Observer
I'm also not sure that a Trailhunter is the best target for a slide-in. So much of the cool kit you get with the Trailhunter lives in the bed of the truck (inverter, air compressor, etc.). A slide-in will prevent access to that, not to mention I expect the Trailhunter to have a fairly low payload number compared to the other Tacoma models. Granted, whatever fits a Trailhunter will fit the other models, but I suspect the volume play is to have something sized for a dual cab short bed.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm also not sure that a Trailhunter is the best target for a slide-in. So much of the cool kit you get with the Trailhunter lives in the bed of the truck (inverter, air compressor, etc.). A slide-in will prevent access to that, not to mention I expect the Trailhunter to have a fairly low payload number compared to the other Tacoma models. Granted, whatever fits a Trailhunter will fit the other models, but I suspect the volume play is to have something sized for a dual cab short bed.
The trailhunter should have a slightly higher payload than a TRD off-road. It would negate the whole purpose of it didn’t. The research they did to build that- every aftermarket vehicle build they looked at to emulate had to be over gvwr.

rruff

Explorer
Interesting! So the over cab portion has an extra piece to fill the gap... have you thought about how that works?

So $5k is what it costs you to build it... what do you think you'll sell it for... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior