tacoma vs 4runner for expo rig

ywen

Explorer
Tailgate is a must for me.. both for sitting and as a table surface.. With the 4 Runner, you must prop up a table..

MichaelFromAZ

As much as I would love a RTT my wallet just cant afford it when I can just set up a tent for my destinations that my rig is capable of getting too. How much of a set back if the wheel base exactly? and how badly is your COG effected when having a RTT on a 4runner? I do plan on retro-fitting a factory e-locker and going with arb air locker up front. I also wanted to swap out the spindals and axles front the taco to the runner but my two concerns are a: can i put tundra brakes on if I have manual locking hubs and b: will i be able to make 4wd work on the taco if I put all the a.d.d. stuff on it. I guess would be no but im still some what of a noob to this stuff.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I like the 5 speed for a little more umph when traveling up the hils loaded (i've got the 3.4). Another plus for the 4runner is that sleeping inside, warm, dry and protected is always an option.

Sleeping inside is for "vertically challenged people," but you can remove the back seat and have room up to 6'2", more if the front seats are scooted up, but you will have the center console to contend with.

If you travel solo most of the time, I would recommend the Taco with the topper / camper shell. My 99' 4Runner works well for The_Mrs., myself, and our pups, but available interior cargo space is more of an issue than it would be in a Taco for solo trips. I have several friends with Tacos, and they have all been very pleased with them.

The 2.7 has plenty of power if geared correctly.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
As much as I would love a RTT my wallet just cant afford it when I can just set up a tent for my destinations that my rig is capable of getting too. How much of a set back if the wheel base exactly? and how badly is your COG effected when having a RTT on a 4runner? I do plan on retro-fitting a factory e-locker and going with arb air locker up front. I also wanted to swap out the spindals and axles front the taco to the runner but my two concerns are a: can i put tundra brakes on if I have manual locking hubs and b: will i be able to make 4wd work on the taco if I put all the a.d.d. stuff on it. I guess would be no but im still some what of a noob to this stuff.

I just did the Tundra brake upgrade. There are pics there to show the rotor to hub interface. Should not be a problem.

Skim

Explorer
Having owned 2 4Runners, an 80 series Cruiser, and 2 Trucks (both Toyotas) I prefer a truck.

For me right now, I am usually driving solo or with one passenger. So a truck is perfect. At camp, the gear is easy to access in a truck.

I find the lower center of gravity and lighter weight of the truck a huge plus when on the trail.

gofalls

Observer
Im 6'2" and sleep in the back of my 4runner often. I have a sleep deck 8" off from the floor where everything is stored in and can convert back to a 4 seater. When driving long distances and wanting to sleep I can pull over anywhere and the 2 of us can sleep comfortabley without any set up or gear/tools exposed/unlocked. Sleeping in a truck bed or RTT in the boonies is one thing but I wouldnt want to sleep in a TB or RTT at a truck stop or the side of the road.

gearbox

Adventurer
Let me just add this: the locking mechanism of a top may be prone to freezing in winter temperatures. Condensation will get into most standard locks.

Nearly had my snowboard held hostage a month ago in Tahoe. I'm surprised my 29-year-old hips can fit through the sliding window of a Tacoma.

Also, trucks are less weather-proof around the tailgate, inherently.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Personal opinion, but if you don't need the seating capacity, I'd say go for the Tacoma. Lots of cargo space and the interior stays cleaner since it's separate from the cab.

But either would be good. Plenty of people with both on here.

One item of note is that I know some 96 3.4l V6's had HG issues. So take that into consideration. And if you really have no preference from the above points, I'd take the newest vehicle.

X2 I LOVE my 4Runner, but I think I could be just as happy with a 1st Gen 4dr. Taco... I really like sleeping IN the truck, but really, you can have just as much seating and secure sleeping in a DC Taco with a RTT and a canopy. In fact the seating might even be more comfy in the DC AND you can keep dirty gear etc. in the back of the truck. No tot mention that with rear Leafs, the P/U will have a higher load capacity.

It's kind of a catch 22. The older trucks have a tougher chasis but NO power and very little seating (since we didn't get the DC's untill much later) ... Either way if you go Toyota you won't be dissapointed.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd peobably go with a 1st Gen DC Taco...

Cheers

Dave

CYi5

Explorer
I miss my ext cab. taco, the 4runner is alright. I feel like i'm too tall to sleep in it even with the seats removed, and the noise of all your gear moving around when wheeling gets old quickly. That said, 4runners are an amazing value right now, can pick up a limited 99/00 for around 9k. If I were to get another tacoma comparable to my old '01, it would start at 12k and that would be a good deal.

DC tacos are fine for their versatility, but the rear seats aren't actually comfortable for passengers (near vertical seat back), and the bed is too small to sleep in without the tailgate down.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Michael, if you do a search you will find a lot of threads on the topic that all say that neither one is "better," it just depends on your needs. However, if you read between the lines on them you will see a lot of people who sold their Tacoma for a 4Runner and really enjoy the comfort, smaller size and enclosed cargo area. The tipping point seems to be whether there is a family involved, or in many cases people started single with a Tacoma and graduated to a family and 4Runner. A Tacoma is a "truck" and therefore cool where a 4Runner is a "mall crawler/grocery getter" and therefore uncool. However, I can't think of a single person I know who has gone from a 4Runner to a Tacoma, it's always the other way around.

Do a search and also read the threads about people comparing a Tacoma to a Land Cruiser as most of the same arguments apply. I personally have always been on the fence between truck and SUV because they both seem to make sense about half the time. I would say that if I were building a pure overland/travel vehicle I would go pickup instead of SUV because I think they are more flexible in terms of living options (slide in camper, flippac, low profile tent, etc.), but for a dual purpose daily driver/travel vehicle a SUV makes more sense.

I should also disclose that I have a family and two dogs as that completely changes the equation. If I were single I would buy an access-cab Tacoma with a Flippac or Four Wheel Camper and never look back.

tacollie

Glamper
I had a 02 Taco and now a 00 4runner. I love both and couldn't honestly pick which one I like better. Drive them and go from there. The 4runner is more nimble on the trail but the long wheelbase on the Tacoma offers more stability. The Tacoma seats are horrible, didn't bother me to much but it is an issue for a lot of people. A Tacoma with a flippac is a really sweet setup.

bigreen has an excelent point. I love my tacoma but find it limiting when me, my brother and a friend or two, plus the dog want to go somewhere. Granted mine is just an accesss cab. I love the bed on my truck, it keeps things seperate from me and I can still load it up with plants, soil and lumber without ruining the interior. I had an XJ before which is similar in size to that gen runner and never really had any complaints about it though, and loved being able to bring people along. On another note, its kind of saddening to think that one day if I get a family going the taco isn't going to work.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I love my tacoma but find it limiting when me, my brother and a friend or two, plus the dog want to go somewhere. Granted mine is just an accesss cab.

That actually brings up a good point. My Tacoma love started when my roommate's boyfriend bought an extracab Taco. While the back "seat" was not a particularly comfortable place to spend a lot of time, it is the only vehicle I can think of short of a Suburban or full size truck that could carry four people, three dogs and backpacking gear for several days.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
MHowever, I can't think of a single person I know who has gone from a 4Runner to a Tacoma, it's always the other way around.

Now you do. :D 2 4Runners and now my Tacoma. It's a 4dr to accommodate my family. I thought of selling it a couple of weeks ago, so that we could get the wife a 4th Gen 4Runner, but came to my senses and I'm keeping it. I use the bed way too much.

I'd still like to get the wife a 4Runner, but probably will have to get a 3rd Gen. But I'll have the best of both worlds, then. :victory: Currently shopping for a 99-02 Limited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger