tacoma vs. 4runner inside height

highcountry

I am struggling with the decision between a 1st gen tacoma and a 3rd gen 4runner to set up for camping. Both have thier plusses and minuses, but for me the real tough choice is that it is easy to find 5 speed tacomas (really don't want an automatic), but the AWD option on the 4runner is very attractive. I drive on a lot of roads with patchy ice that AWD would be really nice for. I have seen 5 speed AWD 4runners pop up, but they are rare as hens teeth, and gone almost instantly!

But that isn't the point of this post. I am trying to pre-think my camping set up as part of the decision. I will be putting in a sleeping platform in either vehicle, so I can store gear under it and not have to deal with breaking down a tent every morning. My question is whether there will be more headroom in a tacoma with a campershell even with the top of the cab, or in a 4runner, if the sleeping platform is even with the top of the wheel wells? I will be using paco pads that are about 2 inches thick, so no need to accomodate a thick inflatable matress or anything like that.

I know, that is a pretty specific question, but, short of freaking out a used car salesman by showing up the lots weekend with a tape measure, I thought I would try this first. Thanks in advance:)

Applejack

Explorer
I am struggling with the decision between a 1st gen tacoma and a 3rd gen 4runner to set up for camping. Both have thier plusses and minuses, but for me the real tough choice is that it is easy to find 5 speed tacomas (really don't want an automatic), but the AWD option on the 4runner is very attractive. I drive on a lot of roads with patchy ice that AWD would be really nice for. I have seen 5 speed AWD 4runners pop up, but they are rare as hens teeth, and gone almost instantly!

But that isn't the point of this post. I am trying to pre-think my camping set up as part of the decision. I will be putting in a sleeping platform in either vehicle, so I can store gear under it and not have to deal with breaking down a tent every morning. My question is whether there will be more headroom in a tacoma with a campershell even with the top of the cab, or in a 4runner, if the sleeping platform is even with the top of the wheel wells? I will be using paco pads that are about 2 inches thick, so no need to accomodate a thick inflatable matress or anything like that.

I know, that is a pretty specific question, but, short of freaking out a used car salesman by showing up the lots weekend with a tape measure, I thought I would try this first. Thanks in advance:)

If it were me I think that I'd choose a Taco. I have a 4runner but I also have a family. Also to get the AWD option you have to get a limited. Try finding those with a 5sp.
I really like to versatility of a pickup over an SUV. You can take the shell off the truck if need be but you can't take the top off a 3rd gen 4Runner.

The 4runners are excellent but I think the Taco has less cons IMO.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I thought all limiteds were automatics? Never heard of a 5 speed limited.

Pre-2001 the only way you could get AWD was with a limited.

2001-2002 all 4runner have AWD but no manual tranny option.

I've never heard of a 5 speed 4runner with the multi-mode t-case.

as for height - should be about the same, but remember that the 4runner has a nicely carpeted floor, meaning you can sleep directly on the floor with a small air mattress which gives you better headroom.

With a Taco you have the option of going to a high-rise topper, which is what I finally did after trying to camp in the Taco with the cab-high. It was too low, I always felt like I was sleeping underneath someone's bed.

highcountry

Upon further inspection, the 99 4runner I thought I had tracked down that was both 5speed and AWD, is in fact 5 speed, but is not AWD... Crap. The price was right too. For some reason, Tacomas are a couple grand more than a comparable 4runner in these parts. Not sure why. Either way though, with the exception the AWD, I agree, I think the tacoma is a more flexible platform. Every time I buy something with an automatic transmission, I think to myself "yeah, I would prefer a manual, but auto does have its advantages". Then a few years later I am selling the vehicle thinking to myself "this has been a good car. I would probably keep it if it were a 5 speed..." I am not making that mistake again.

I will probably go have a look at a 4runner locally with a tape measure in hand this weekend just to answer my own question...

Thanks for the input!

highcountry

Anyone happen to know off the top of thier head what package the e-locker came with on a pre-2001 4runner? Was it only the limited package, SR5 package, or was it a stand alone add-on?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Anyone happen to know off the top of thier head what package the e-locker came with on a pre-2001 4runner? Was it only the limited package, SR5 package, or was it a stand alone add-on?

AFAIK it was not part of a specific trim level, I think it was something like a "power package" or something similar. Most 4runners I see are SR5s with a sprinkling of Limiteds. "Plain Jane" or Base Model 4runners are rare, at least around here.

I have heard that the 4 cyl was never available with the locker, and as I've said elsewhere, the 5 speed/locker combo is pretty rare, too.

EDIT: I've also heard that there are some 96 -00 Limited 4x4s that did not have the locker, but I've never seen one.

Applejack

Explorer
Mostly just limiteds came with the locker but there were some SR5 that came with them too but they are a rare find. It's just easier to get a limited unless you have to have the 5sp.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Mostly just limiteds came with the locker but there were some SR5 that came with them too but they are a rare find.

I don't think that's true. I've seen lots of SR5s with lockers, especially in the later years (98-00.)

As I said, I think it came with some specific accessory package.

slus

Adventurer
I've only seen limiteds and SR5s with the locker, I don't think it could be done on a base model, but I rarely if ever see a 4wd base model 3rd gen. More limiteds came with it, which I think can be attributed to people ordering 4runners new and checking every option box there is.

zidaro

Explorer
Each area (region) orders common groupings of packages/options on Toyota models through Toyota Motor Corp. so dealers can easily swap vehicles to better serve/screw the customer. That is why you see some options common in each area

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears