Tacoma vs Trailer Build - What To Do

What Option

Votes: 12 41.4%

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

cs0430

So a quick rundown: I have a '12 Taco TRD OR 4x4 DCSB which is currently stock suspension-wise. I had an OME kit on it and because of concern for warranty issues, early suspension wear, etc. I took it off. That might have been a bad decision. I also have SnugTop shell with the Sportsman's package that was bought with the intention of putting my CVT RTT on it.

I go camping with my girlfriend/family/buddies probably 5-10 times a year, and I go hunting (not as frequently as I'd like) a few times a year. No intense rock crawling. Fire roads, and the occasional wash/light trail are all I encounter.

I've now learned my stock suspension can barely handle the weight of a 300lb camper let alone my RTT, and 2-4 people plus their gear. I packed my truck recently with 5 people and gear, no RTT a few weeks ago and was bottoming out regularly.

So here's the two options I'm considering in no particular order and their pros/cons as I see them. I really would like to get some others opinions. I am looking to efficiently take people/gear from A to B and maybe organize my stuff a little in the process.

OPTION 1
Lift Truck again, get custom rack made for my RTT to sit as low as possible on my shell. Build kitchen fold out drawer system to fit in bed of truck.

Pros - Everything is on my truck, no towing, worrying about a trailer. Keep my shell so I can keep things secure in the back regardless of having the trailer or not.
Cons - Everything is on my truck. If I want to go for a drive, find a spot to fish/shoot, I have to pack everything up and in. Tent sitting up high all the time - wind resistance, more likely to topple, etc.

OPTION 2
Build expo trailer. Have kitchen system build into trailer, adjustable height rack to use with my RTT, holder for extra gas cans, propane, water, etc.

Pros - Detach and go. My camping set-up would be a modular unit that I can leave in the garage ready to go, hook up the truck and be gone. I will have a place in the trailer to lock gear. Truck should be able to handle a ~1500lb trailer on the stock suspension no problem. I towed a similarly heavy uhaul with no issues. No affecting truck - no constant mpg loss from being lifted, warranty is fine, no premature wear on parts, seals, etc.
Cons - Cost. I don't really have fab skills to speak of. I run an okay bead welding and have tools, but have never built anything like this from scratch. I do have a neighbor buddy who is into it and would help me with anything I need. No security for things in the bed when not camping. Right now I leave golf clubs and some tools in the shell at all times.

I expect the cost for the trailer to be a bit more, but after selling my camper shell, the two options should be about the same cost-wise.

H0LLYW00D

Observer
I have a setup that is all on my truck right now and the biggest problem I have is the setup and take down time when staying somewhere and also wanting to explore. My plan is to move things over to a trailer so that I still have use of the truck while camp is setup.

Just consider your setup/take down time and if you want use of the truck while camp is setup or do you want to move camp with the truck all the time.

Clutch

<---Pass
Keep the camper shell...plus build a trailer.

You can find an awful lot of building materials at scrap yards for little money, plus you're learning how to build things, which is a
good thing in my opinion.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It depends on a lot of things...there are pros and cons for sure.

I used to go the trailer route. Pluses were that camping gear could stay in trailer--less preparation needed to go camping. The trailer is also easy to leave set up at camp and have the truck as a runabout. Minuses include storing and licensing the trailer, the additional maintenance (tires, bearings, etc).

I've since gone the trailerless route, with a pop-up truck camper. It's ideal, especially if the truck is not a DD. It's nice not to have to store, license and keep up on the maintenance of the trailer.

Both routes affect driving performance differently. The trailer improves cornering ability (COG on truck can stay lower) and off-camber stability. But there is the complexity of getting one more axle through an obstacle, more difficulty parking and making tight U-turns, etc.

If the truck is a daily driver, I think I would go the trailer route, so that the truck can be as light (and inconspicuous) as possible for commuting and the trailer can be partially-packed, almost ready to go camping.

Clutch

<---Pass
It's nice not to have to store, license and keep up on the maintenance of the trailer.

We have permanent tags here in AZ, pay it once, done. Plus a set of bearing buddies...maintenance is about nil. Always keep set of wheel bearings in the tool box for "just in case" though. ;)

Of course this all depends on one's local...my house is zoned for RV parking, storage is a non-issue.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Depends on where you explore. The places I go often lead to dead end roads on the side of a mountain and turning around with a trailer would be no fun. Also, my truck fully loaded averages 17-18mpg in mixed driving and easily gets 21mpg on the road (under 65mph). That's with it being lifted, MT tires, RTT and over 6,000lbs. Your MPG pulling a trailer will be much less. Lift won't change your MPG much if any but tires will (tire weight and width have the greatest effect). My only other comment would be having a fridge in the truck is wonderful. I use it every week picking up items from the store, chilled lunch meat, drinks.

There's no ideal solution. Everything has pros/cons.

Captm

Adventurer
I vote for #3 - other. Flippac, we love ours and are constantly saying that we are glad we didn't get a trailer. Whether we are on the freeway traveling to our turn off point or on that tight trail we find much more freedom without towing a trailer.
Cheers

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
I vote for #3 - other. Flippac, we love ours and are constantly saying that we are glad we didn't get a trailer. Whether we are on the freeway traveling to our turn off point or on that tight trail we find much more freedom without towing a trailer.
Cheers

Im in the same boat as the OP. Im curious as to what issue you have with your Flippac. Wind issues, fuel mileage, etc.

cs0430

Kermit - Thanks for the opinion. I won't be keeping the shell AND doing a trailer, I would like to use some of the money from the shell to offset the cost of building a trailer. I definitely agree that learning fab skills is valuable and frankly it's just fun to build things.

Montypower - I've been following your build thread and really like what you have done with your taco. I do currently have 265/75's, so to get the kind of mileage you are talking about I would have to go down a tire size. Your maggiolina probably is a bit more aerodynamic than my CVT RTT. I only get like 16 or so around town and 19 on the highway as-is.

Captm - Regarding a Flippac, isn't that essentially the same as what I would consider with keeping my RTT/Shell? I would still have to pack it up every time I want to take the truck somewhere. And those things are $$$$!

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I voted option number 1. I try to keep it as simple as I can. When I go out I'm rarely in the same spot for more than one night so I have to pack up everything every morning. Nothing is set back up till were done traveling for the day, usually a couple hours before last light, although I've set up in the dark a couple times. I don't personally use a RTT but my buddy had one for years and the setup and takedown was so quick it was never a problem for him. he has since switched to a FlipPac and absolutely loves it. I sleep in the bed of my DCSB with a shell and a custom tent so I can leave the tailgate down and the shell gate up. Its nice, because I can drive with it set up if I need to (wind shifting or something like that).

Clutch

<---Pass
Kermit - Thanks for the opinion. I won't be keeping the shell AND doing a trailer, I would like to use some of the money from the shell to offset the cost of building a trailer. I definitely agree that learning fab skills is valuable and frankly it's just fun to build things.

You're welcome. You probably won't get very much money for the shell though (is my thinking) might as well keep it, and look at other ways to get the extra dough. :)

I tried going without a shell for a bit...made it 3 months, broke down and bought another.

It sounds like the cheapest solution both money and time involved wise, is keep what you have, and make it work. Say adding drawers to the bed, and perhaps windoors to the shell.

Organizing your setup will speed up setup and teardown time.

Believe you can bolt your RTT directly to the shell, another member did that...unfortunately can't remember his name.

Last edited:

cs0430

Again, thank you Kermit. What you're saying makes a lot of sense. I really would be taking a big loss on the shell. Especially because the trailer would be a slow build, I could start it now and just accumulate funds as I go. Looks like another lift and a relatively inexpensive custom rack is in my future. I already installed yakima tracks onto my shell so I'll have to make something work that utilizes those tracks.

Edit: The poll does lean heavy to option 2 though! Haha

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
You're welcome.

In the end it all comes down to personal preference, which is trial and error. Some guys like everything on the truck/suv, or everything on the trailer...or a mix of both. probably the most versatile, and the most expensive.

good luck in whatever you choose

oliverlove

Adventurer
You're not alone with this struggle. I am upgrading to a larger vehicle as we have a 3rd member of the family on the way. I can't decide if I want to do a 4 door taco, a 4 runner, or a trailer for my travel!

Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle