Take The Truck's First Gen Tacoma Build

takethetruck

Rear Bumpstop Upgrade
durobumps-rear-bump-stops-first-gen-tacoma.jpg

We've been super happy with the improvement the front Durobumps bump stops provided, and I finally got around to getting the rear set of 4.25" Durobumps installed this last weekend. Should keep our ADS rear shocks from bottoming out (though I've been told they can hack it just fine).

Sy-Klone Snorkel Pre-cleaner
snorkel-precleaner-installed.jpg

To help keep rain, snow, and dust out of the new raised air intake (and to somewhat improve the look of the dorkel) we opted to install a Sy-Klone 9001 pre-cleaner on the Safari Snorkel. Now we don't have to keep futzing with rotating the ram air intake to the rear-facing position in these conditions.

takethetruck

Been a minute since we updated on here, and...a lot has changed 😅

Installed Rock Sliders

After several close calls with the rocker panels on trails here in the ozarks I decided it was time to break out the welder and add some Trail Gear rock sliders. I'm a novice welder, but the install went smooth and the welds turned out surprisingly decent - even with the little Harbor Freight flux machine I used.

PXL_123434234.jpg

Built a Tauler Jack

After hearing a ton of good things about the Tauler Jack from Brennan's Garage - a uniquely compact alternative to the common Hi-Lift perimeter jack - I had picked up a kit along with an 8000lb Reese trailer jack. And while I had the welder out I figured I'd throw it together. The process is pretty straight forward with the clear included instructions and, though it lacks the vice/winching ability, I'm super impressed with how much smaller (25"), easier, and safer the Tauler Jack is compared to the Hi-Lift we'd previously carried.

PXL_20230319_210517722.jpg

TUNE Outdoor M1 Install

After our first multi-week trip out west in the GFC as a family of four it became apparent that, while we loved the GFC and it worked great for 1-2 weeks at a time, we'd need a bit more room if we intend to be on the road longer term. As fate would have it on that same trip we ran into a couple in SE Utah that had just had a new Tune M1 camper installed and we fell in love with the unique cantilever design that provides a massive amount of interior space at a very reasonable weight penalty ( at 360 lbs for a model for our Tacoma's 5ft bed it's only about 80lbs more than our GFC). So we put down a deposit and had an install scheduled only a couple months later. We opted for the king-size bed extension which gives the camper a massive 72" x 80" east-west sleeping platform while still having 34" of passthrough to the bed. Now all four of us can sleep comfortably up top east west or north south and the entirety of the bed can be used for gear/interior hangout space in inclement weather if needed. Here is our more in-depth initial review of the Tune M1.

PXL_20230922_15533739.jpgPXL_20230922_16361721.jpg

Once home we quickly dove into dialing in the interior of the new camper. I fabbed up some bed stiffeners using a late model set from Amazon to help shore up the bed rails.

PXL_20230924_160448534.jpg

In an effort to further reduce weight I decided to rebuild our existing half-platform/drawer storage out of 8020 - though it did reduce the weight by 39% it was an incredibly tedious process that I wouldn't necessarily recommend unless weight savings is paramount. We were really happy with the finished product though, complete with a 58" drawer and hydraulic assisted Partner Steel Stove lift (by far the most oVeRlAnD thing I've ever done to a truck :ROFLMAO:). We put together a pretty detailed build guide here incase anyone's interested in building a similar 8020 aluminum drawer platform.

22B2C832-2D18-4202-8620-89E3FF47DFFE.jpg

I also came up with a slick removable mounting solution for our Olympian Wave 3 heater and requisite CO detector using the Tune M1's integrated T-track ( the camper has something like 450ft of T-track built in which makes customizing SUPER easy) and a cheap TV mount.

IMG_0448.jpgIMG_0257.jpgIMG_0253.jpg

Drilled some holes and installed some L-track in the bed using stainless steel rivnuts to make securing our ARB fridge and other gear easier while under way.

IMG_0354.jpg

Last edited:

takethetruck

I was also finally able to figure out a good spot to mount our Maxtrax by drilling some 1/2" holes in the removable king bed extension of the camper and using some M10x21mm furniture fasteners and the 17mm maxtrax mounting pins to tuck them up under the extension - easily accessible but out of the way.

B3E06F15-1B39-4956-9FA2-CC1136D7F0DB.jpg

Though I'm not really a fan of molle panels, I did have a molle panel made by custommollepanels.com (pictured above) to fit the cab side of the camper and mounted it to the two t-tracks above and below the FRP panel to add some more options for gear storage.

takethetruck

Regeared to 4.88

While the Tune M1 doesn't weigh much more than our old GFC, it does add a good deal more wind resistance. I had been putting off regearing from the stock 4.10 differentials, but it was time. So we ordered a set of built 4.88 thirds from East Coast Gear Supply, complete with an ARB air locker for the front. The install went as smooth as one could hope and I replaced the (original) rear wheel bearings and brakes while I hade the axles tore apart.
IMG_0469.jpg

After finishing the 500 mile break-in and getting some highway drive time here in the ozarks, I can say that the gears made a HUGE improvement (as they always do). No problems holding speed up long grades, and I can barely tell that the camper is on the truck. Plus - because I have monitored trans temps pretty closely with our bluetooth OBD2 gauges - I can see an average of 30 degree reduction in transmission temps!

The truck is super responsive now, but I still have a vexing and slightly illogical desire to add the new TVS1320 supercharger Magnuson just came out with for the 5VZFE engine...mo powa babeh! We'll see.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Regeared to 4.88

While the Tune M1 doesn't weigh much more than our old GFC, it does add a good deal more wind resistance. I had been putting off regearing from the stock 4.10 differentials, but it was time. So we ordered a set of built 4.88 thirds from East Coast Gear Supply, complete with an ARB air locker for the front. The install went as smooth as one could hope and I replaced the (original) rear wheel bearings and brakes while I hade the axles tore apart.
View attachment 812634

After finishing the 500 mile break-in and getting some highway drive time here in the ozarks, I can say that the gears made a HUGE improvement (as they always do). No problems holding speed up long grades, and I can barely tell that the camper is on the truck. Plus - because I have monitored trans temps pretty closely with our bluetooth OBD2 gauges I can see an average of 30 degree reduction in transmission temps!

The truck is super responsive now, but I still have a vexing and slightly illogical desire to add the new TVS1320 supercharger Magnuson just came out with for the 5VZFE engine...mo powa babeh! We'll see.

were you able to sneak the front diff out w/o lifting the engine? I tried for hours on mine, but I couldn't snake it out. Ended up lifting the engine 2"... Made a tool to hold it in place.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Love the way your build has continued. What mileage change did you see with the gears?

Wc203

Also, what kinda dough did the GFC cost you? I’m looking into a small overhead camper for my DCSB TACO

Dave in AZ

Are you not content with the GFC?
Uhm, I'm not the thread owner and don't own one. Im getting a Tune. However, the thread OP got rid of his GFC, moved to a Tune. Better size and construction. Like I said, seems like half the folks buying (Tune, topo topper, AT Overland, LonePeak, Dirtbox, OVRLND, Project M, etc) all started with a GoFast. They all got tired of its small size and design and moved on to other better ones.

Wc203

Uhm, I'm not the thread owner and don't own one. Im getting a Tune. However, the thread OP got rid of his GFC, moved to a Tune. Better size and construction. Like I said, seems like half the folks buying (Tune, topo topper, AT Overland, LonePeak, Dirtbox, OVRLND, Project M, etc) all started with a GoFast. They all got tired of its small size and design and moved on to other better ones.
Awww I see sorry misread

takethetruck

Do you have a part number for the hood louvers?
We got them from Run Cool Hood Louvres SKU# SW12BL
Love the way your build has continued. What mileage change did you see with the gears?
Thanks! I swapped to a 33 tooth speedo gear to correct the speedo (mostly). Seeing a +1 mpg gain with mixed driving over the old gear set, but the performance improvement is night & day - drives like it did when it was completely stock.
Are you not content with the GFC?
Yes, we loved the GFC, as a family of three it was perfect; however, when we had our second kiddo we found our family had outgrown it for longterm travel applications. Hence the change to the Tune M1. Both are great campers, but with different designs and price-points

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online