Tales of the Grey Mouser...

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Great thread, Haggis! I need to get out with you guys some time.

Well you'd be more than welcome. Just remember that the only way to go from some time to that was a fun time is to pack up and go! We should be posting up some runs come nicer weather.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Well the first Rendezvous helped the cabin fever some but from time to time you still need to get out every once in a while…
100_1955.jpg
100_1959.jpg

Spring came once more and the Clan started wandering again, revising old haunts and seeking out new places to disappear too.
102_3681.jpg
250.jpg

Some of our weekend wanderings not epic enough for prime time but fun none the less can be found in Backyard Wanderings: Pennsylvania if your interested.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
PA Ridgerunner Rendezvous: Part II

The next Expo event that the Mouser joined up on was the PA Ridgerunner Rendezvous: Rise of the Rednecks. We met up in BigAl’s local 4x4 playground in Houtzdale, PA and over the next couple of days travel 120 miles of reclaimed coal strippings, dirt, gravel and two tracked Forest roads until we had traversed PA's Bald Eagle State Forest. It was another great trip, though I did end up on the end of a strap when Mouser’s fuel pump shut down while going through a shallow puddle. After crawling in, over and under it, I noticed the wiring loom on the driver’s side frame was pulled about two inches out. A rock or stick must have snagged it as I was following Al on a brief but mud pit lined pre scout. I reached back and popped the connector back into the fuel pump loom and the Mouser fired right up.

AF002601.jpg

5350842384_1f705f3f56.jpg

mmmlafayette

Haggis, I really like the sleeping platform. Can you give some more specifics? Plywood thickness and where is the bulkhead you talk about? Can you lift the whole thing in thru the back opening and drop it in place? Thanks.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Platform is made up of white pine sides 13.5" tall. In the center I routed a 3/4" x 4" dado fom the top edge down on each side and the bulkhead ( a piece of pine 3/4" x 4"x whatever it is long) connects the two uprights and sits flush with the upright's top edge. This leaves about 9" under the bulkhead to allow longer items like camp tables and the like to be put under the platform. It's glued and screwed. On top is a sheet of 1/2" ply. The extensions are the same as are the flip out extension rests. I can slide the whole unit in the back hatch by picking it up over the tailgate striker and easying it in to place. It's held in place in the front by bolts through the seat rails and the pine side have been reinforced with plates on both side to keep the wood from shearing if anything untoward would happen. At the rear are stainless L-brackets that slip under the footman tiedown points in the rear of the cargo area and mount to permament carriage bolts (with large washers) installed in the uprights. Typicially I have four action packers, the roll-top camp table, two Pico campchairs, tool bag, possible bag, axe and shovel under the platform. Clothes go in dry bags on top was well as sleeping bags, sleep pads and pillows. Not to mention the travel cooler which get straped in using the four D-rings spaced on each edge of the platform. When not in use it hangs on the garage wall.

Last edited:

trail-explorer

Adventurer
oops, My bad. It's the Rubi LJ that was only 05-06.

Very nice looking LJ you have. Looks like you've been to a lot of cool places as well.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Great pictures! I remember some of those places.:smiley_drive:

Memories happen when you have a silver LJ being pulled along by your old tan tractor of a YJ. Here's to many more memories (but hopefully a whole lot less snatch straps) in the days to come.:shakin:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Memories happen when you have a silver LJ being pulled along by your old tan tractor of a YJ. Here's to many more memories (but hopefully a whole lot less snatch straps) in the days to come.:shakin:

Hear, Hear!:)

mmmlafayette

Mark,

Thanks for the info on the bed build. I have slept in the back of my 06 unlimited and it works great for me. However, would be nice not to have to empty everything for the night-so this looks very promising. Plus, maybe I can talk my wife into going if there is enough room for two (I think I am dreaming on this, two nights on the trail is her limit).

Mike

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
"Build it and she will camp"....Mike for more "analysis" I'm 5'-11" and fit nicely on the passenger side as that front seat slides farther ahead. My wife 5'-5" sleeps comfortably on the drivers side. When she's along I have a folding garden stool that packs real thin so she and I can climb in from the rear hatch comfortably. If it's just me I leave the drivers side extension in the "closed" position and enter and exit the interior from the drivers side. I can sit on the platform behind the drivers seat and remove my boots and get ready to sleep fairly comfortably from there.

Last edited:

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Awesome idea on the sleep platform. I wish I was shorter (6'5") so my option for vehicle sleep is pretty much a RTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78