Talk me out of selling my 83 FJ60

gj91

I have posted my original 83 FJ60 with 54k miles for sale here and on few other forums, even ebay with mixed results. It's in great condition, zero rust and all original condition.

We had a near sell experience where the deal fell through at the 11th hour, maybe this is a sign to keep it and enjoy it. My father drove it to Denver for the sale and all he got was complements and people pointing and talking about it. He wouldn't stop talking about how great it drove. It's not everyday you see these in original condition on the road. Sure it will only go about 35mph over the passes but runs like a raped-ape downhill and on the flats:)

I have dreams of a diesel / 5speed conversion but maybe I should just enjoy it the way it is; roll the window down and work on my 1 arm redneck tan, add a RTT and GTF out of town.

Here are some photos.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...oyota-FJ60-White-Original-Condition-54k-miles!

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
What a neat truck!

I'm suspecting the price is why you still have it. I don't think it is unreasonable as the condition of the truck appears fantastic and the mileage is unbelievable! It's not hard to imagine the current economy and uncertainty of the future has significantly shrunk the potential buyers market for a rig in that condition. If you really wanted to sell, it might take a little more time than you had estimated.

Unless there were other pressing issues meriting a sale, I would be very tempted to do a few mods, keeping the original bits neatly stowed away, and take it out and pretend I was Marlin Perkins!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
That is a time capsul truck, no doubt!

FYI, I sold an 87 FJ60 in 1991 with 70,000 on it for $14,000. It was as clean as yours back then. I see no reason your truck is not worth the $15k asking price but as mentioned....the economy sucks bad right now. Sit on it for as long as it takes to sell or keep it but do not let it go for less then it is worth.

gj91

Yeah, the economic uncertainty is causing a lot of issues for everyone. I don't need to sell it for sure and would rather hold onto it and enjoy it until things improve.

I would like to possibly update the shocks, I don't think I will go crazy with a full suspension update. I really would like to do the 5 sp H55 swap. I hear it's night and day and much better to drive long distance.

I just need to get a short list of the shops that can do the H55 install without any issues.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
To keep it stock perhaps just some stock heigth new leaf springs?

I have an Advanced Adapter Ranger OD box in my Cruiser. I really like it and it has grown on me a lot in the last month. It will split your 4th gear and give you a "5th" gear for hwy cruising. I also really like the 4spd for around town. If I am doing 55mph or lower I just use the 4spd as is. I had considered putting an NV4500 5spd behind my v8 but the stock 4spd has really grown on me. It has great gearing and the ratios between gears is nearly perfect. The NV4500 is really long between 1st-2nd (really 2nd to 3rd since 1st is low).

The AA Ranger box is a lot cheaper then fitting the H55. Take a look, it is an option...

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-760024m-27/

Yeah, the economic uncertainty is causing a lot of issues for everyone. I don't need to sell it for sure and would rather hold onto it and enjoy it until things improve.

I would like to possibly update the shocks, I don't think I will go crazy with a full suspension update. I really would like to do the 5 sp H55 swap. I hear it's night and day and much better to drive long distance.

I just need to get a short list of the shops that can do the H55 install without any issues.

I'm afraid you'll find either a Ranger box or H55F will require relocation of the transmission, driveshaft length changes, etc. The O/D of the H55 is nice, but unless you're putting lots of miles (looks like you haven't to date) either mod isn't going to really justify the cost for mileage improvement.

You have a beautiful original cruiser. I'd suggest focusing on any maintenance to keep it as pristine as possible and consider selling when market conditions improve.

Expedition Leader
Why would you ever sell that nice/low-mileage of a Cruiser? I know I wouldn't unless one of my grandkids needed a kidney or something.

I agree with the others; your price must be on the high side or it would have sold easily by now. For reference, another forum member here recently bought a real nice BJ60 for 12 or $13,000, that also hadn't sold for a long time until the owner lowered the price.

gj91

I had it priced at $12k. All the comps were for LC's with 200k miles and some rust. So i'd rather hold onto it and enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater