Talk me out of the TRD Pro

esh

Explorer
Unless you have to have cavalry blue (I'm a fan), I would go TRD OR. Everything else can be modded to taste (grill) or need (skid plate, suspension seems to net 1/4" over OR) via factory or aftermarket.

Clutch

<---Pass
The transmission is going to hunt for gears in these V6 Toyota's. It does that in the 4runner with 5 speed/4.0l combo. It does it in the previous gen Tacoma with the similar powertrain. These engines pretty much need to downshift in order to get power for passing, hills, towing, ect. That's just the way they are. It's not necessarily a problem, you just need to be aware that it happens.

I drove them like how normally drive...like an old man...took my time getting it up to the speed limit and set the cruise. I honestly couldn't tell when it shifted.

Maybe the boy racer sports sedan people, who hammer on the throttle to the next stop and then do it all over again to the next stop notice it. But I thought it was extremely smooth, I even remarked that to the salesman. "Wow! This thing is smooth and quiet...not like my old beater."

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I drove them like how normally drive...like an old man...took my time getting it up to the speed limit and set the cruise. I honestly couldn't tell when it shifted.

Maybe the boy racer sports sedan people, who hammer on the throttle to the next stop and then do it all over again to the next stop notice it. But I thought it was extremely smooth, I even remarked that to the salesman. "Wow! This thing is smooth and quiet...not like my old beater."
Well now suppose it's possible you drove a truck with the TSB applied? Gasp, is it possible the racerboytacomaworlddudes were right and Toyota did improve the PCM profile with the update? The problem did exist, an indistinct shift from 1st to 2nd and surge in RPM in conditions just as you describe, partial throttle, non-aggressive acceleration.

I don't know about the high speed hunting but I don't remember our 2005 4Runner's A750 hunting. If anything it tended to hold a tall gear too long so the downshift was more abrupt than it needed. I never did care much for the way it shifted because my tendency is to hold RPMs since both the 22R-E and this 1GR-FE seem to be happiest pulling with mid throttle at 2,500 to 3,500 RPM climbing passes. So it would get confused. My wife, who was the primary driver, thought just the opposite, that it liked low gears too much. She went back to a stick shift after the 4Runner (Jetta and now the Subaru).

So it's also not fair to complain about an automatic transmission not doing what I want since nothing other than a stick is gonna do that, so the difference between right and wrong is so subjective. Those older transmissions had fewer gears and ran very simple throttle/RPM/speed profiles so you got what you got. These new 5 and 6 and 7 speed slushboxes with the ability to learn your driving style I'm sure come from the factory with such a generic profile that it makes almost no one 100% happy but should end up eventually doing something closer to what you actually expect. I kind of assume that the next step when sticks are finally put to pasture is that using the paddles or whatever quasi-manual input you will actually be able to explicitly trim your drivetrain to your preferences.

Toyota engines only recently have really met American driver's habit of liking low RPMs. That was actually a major issue early on with 79-83 Hilux. The L43 and L50 gear boxes would eat up input bearings due to being undersized (72mm x 17mm) for the way we tend to lug the engines down in the RPM. That was one of the changes with the G52 and G58 and later in the W56C, to use a larger 80mm x 23mm bearing to accommodate the low RPM and high Interstate speeds.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Well now suppose it's possible you drove a truck with the TSB applied?

Hmmmm...I guessing this was before the TSB, the V6 was 2ish years ago when they were kinda new. The 4 slug was last year sometime. While I am no fan of automatics. Honestly it shocked me how well I like it. If push came to shove, I could certianly live with it. (read: if I ever finally to decide to give up on my old beater ;) ) Though I did ask the salesman if I could order one with a manual...the auto was pretty nice, but.... (you know)

That was before Toyota axed the manny in the SR 4-CYL.

Anyways...what can you really tell from a quickie test drive? Need the thing for at least a week...maybe a month? To really tell what the quirks are.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
TSB-0077-16 was issued July of 2016. I don't know when or even if Toyota put the software into new builds, but it would have had to been tested for some time before that. Toyota stopped offering the 2TR/R159 in the SR just this model year. So I guess production date 9/2017 or later. You could get a stick in some configuration of 2016 and 2017 with the exception of the I believe the SR5. That's never gotten a stick in a 3rd gen AFAIK.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
TSB-0077-16 was issued July of 2016. I don't know when or even if Toyota put the software into new builds, but it would have had to been tested for some time before that. Toyota stopped offering the 2TR/R159 in the SR just this model year. So I guess production date 9/2017 or later. You could get a stick in some configuration of 2016 and 2017 with the exception of the I believe the SR5. That's never gotten a stick in a 3rd gen AFAIK.

Looked it up...it was November 2015, I was down in Tucson for a wedding. Swung by the dealer because I was bored trying to kill a couple hours...and test drove the V6.

4-CYL was spring of '17 because I came *this* close to buying one. Always tend to swing by the dealer after a major repair on the ol' beater (last year was a fuel pump, 3rd member, driveshaft, and a rear wheel bearing) "Ok, I have had enough!"

Watt maker

OP- I say, if you want the Pro, get the Pro. Nothing like not getting what you want, then every time one drives by, you kick yourself for not getting exactly what you wanted. I've been there on a couple different vehicles.

That being said, to me, the TRDP is only worth it if you truly want the special color offered on them. Damn near everything else can be added to a regular truck, better parts for probably less $$. A TRD Pro in any color is rare so if you find one for a decent deal (at or below MSRP) pick it up.

I had my heart set on getting a TRDP tundra in the cement color. I liked the remote reservoir shocks, 2" lift, black wheels, and leather interior but what sold me the most was the color. I could've easily added all that to an SR5 tundra for probably less but I just wanted that color. I had a hell of a time finding a double cab TRD Pro in any color, much less cement. At the time I purchased mine, nobody could tell me if cement was going to be offered in 2018 but even so, I still would've bought the truck I have now. It's exactly what I wanted and I really like it. There were only 255 trucks just like mine made so the chance of running across another just like mine is slim. Had I not been able to find a cement TRDP, I would've just gone with a white SR5.

I've been looking for a new truck for some time now. I came close to ordering the new Jeep JL but I'm back to the Tacoma now. I was looking at these a few months ago but lost interest when I heard about the transmission issues. Has the hunting/sluggish problems been resolved? I'm a longtime Adventure motorcyclist, I'm not ready to give it up but will need to consider moving to 4 wheels in a few years. This will be a good start. I've owned 4X4's all my life. Thanks!View attachment 448120

https://www.toyota.com/configurator...5/packages/option89/accessories/R2-2T/modal/6
In 2016, when the new body came out, I got an sr5 4x4, I got the old man emu lift and a set of 285/75 17's, the transmission issue is real, I've noticed even before the lift, a few months ago, I traded mine for an TRD offroad with a manual transmission, was able to negotiate moving my lift and wheels to the new truck, long story short, if you can find a manual transmission, jump on it, and no, the pro isn't worth it, for less than 4k you can have a much more capable truck.

Attachments

• 20180127_161757.jpg
    20180127_161757.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 20161206_164037.jpg
    20161206_164037.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22

JKChad

Observer
Having spent 10 days and close to 3500 miles from TN to CO and back with my brother in law, in the trd pro pictured below. I will say that loaded down, the gearing choice Toyota went with in the auto trans is very noticeable and doesn't play well with a loaded down rig, especially above 4000ft elevation. Anything below 3500-3800 rpms meant constant gear hunting on anything other than perfectly flat or down hill. His truck is also regeared with 4:88's, running 285/70 KO2's and has the trd intake and exhaust. Factor in the horrible wind resistance from the rtt on the camper shell and it was worst case scenario.
My trailer behind my jeep, just for reference, we still get 13.5-14mpg towing. We we're lucky to see 11mpg closer to sea level and we saw as low as 8.5mpg above 6000-7000ft.
That being said, there's a lot to love about the Tacoma as well.
I would definitely consider the JL due to the new 8spd auto.
2442c7d84f885807a2ff91aecf7853cc.jpg
17d950ea5cf5a7388a38672141845e26.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I'd aim for the 4runner myself. I like that it still has the 4.0 vs the 3.5 I like the shorter wheelbase as well.
If you are set on the tacoma i'd look for a TRD off road. unless you were after a limited edition color. I understand the desire to buy something already capable and be done with it. To me the OR basically checks that box as well like the pro. I'd do my own aftermarket suspension, tires, sliders, a winch and call it good. Nothing wrong with the fox set up on the pro so you could pretty much do all those same things and keep the suspension. I just think I could accomplish all the above mods on an offroad and still end up saving money vs buying a pro.

I wouldn't look at an sr or sr5 because I love the e-locker and loathe air lockers.

As an adventure motorcyclist you understand the allure and necessity to upgrade suspension. In this case a Trd pro makes no sense to me at all if mods are in its immediate future. I went down that road before and only ended up with some cool bro emblems and little else left that made it trd or pro for that matter. I’m a bit behind on Tacoma’s though and the major differences between trim models. I do know they are the most overpriced vehicles on earth so good luck shopping. They also hold their value beyond reason so that’s a plus as well! That being said the taco is the most versatile and useful platform I have ever had (with camper shell, long bed).

Watt maker

Having spent 10 days and close to 3500 miles from TN to CO and back with my brother in law, in the trd pro pictured below. I will say that loaded down, the gearing choice Toyota went with in the auto trans is very noticeable and doesn't play well with a loaded down rig, especially above 4000ft elevation. Anything below 3500-3800 rpms meant constant gear hunting on anything other than perfectly flat or down hill. His truck is also regeared with 4:88's, running 285/70 KO2's and has the trd intake and exhaust. Factor in the horrible wind resistance from the rtt on the camper shell and it was worst case scenario.
My trailer behind my jeep, just for reference, we still get 13.5-14mpg towing. We we're lucky to see 11mpg closer to sea level and we saw as low as 8.5mpg above 6000-7000ft.
That being said, there's a lot to love about the Tacoma as well.
I would definitely consider the JL due to the new 8spd auto.
2442c7d84f885807a2ff91aecf7853cc.jpg
17d950ea5cf5a7388a38672141845e26.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nice looking TRDP!

I'll agree that Toyota's engine, trans, and gearing choices don't make much sense to me. I think the key is that you have let them wind out, that's where their powerband is, which totally kills the mpg.

I would hold off the the new JL and let the bugs be worked out first. There's also some reports that the frame welds have a lot of porosity in them. I would want to make sure that problem is fixed for sure.

BlackdogGS

Observer
It's looking like I'll have to settle for the off road as the Pros are super rare. No big deal. I'm in no hurry, I'm thinking of waiting until the 2019's come out so I can buy a 2018 closeout. I've got a couple of older Ranger 2X4's I want to replace. Seems like 60% of owners are unhappy with the tranny, I hope I can live with it as like everything else.

Watt maker

The Pros are super rare. If you want one, you have to be willing and ready to travel to get one. I couldn't find a dealer in NM that was willing to use one of their allocations to get me exactly what I wanted so I just had to wait and search the web. I eventually found exactly what I wanted and the deal was fair but I had to fly from NM to OH then drive it back. It was a fun little road trip and it lined up perfect with my schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78